Macomb, Carson, Grace, and Hough on 7/3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macomb, Carson, Grace, and Hough on 7/3

Tom Spencer and I took care of these 4 in about 9 hrs today...including quite a bit of time spent on Grace, which is rapidly becoming one of my favs...3rd time there this year...Tom really enjoyed his first ascent of the slide on Mac. we met a couple of first time 46er-wannabes and all headed to Carson and Grace...they had only expected to do Macomb, but I told them about the Lillian br. trail and suggested to at least get those 2...and so they did....we explored E.Dix- Grace for awhile, then split at the return to Carson and Tom and I went to Hough, where he claimed his 25th summit and I, my 171st in 3 yrs...
    No real issues...all trails were very dry...still a bit of blow down coming off Macomb...Lillians Brook trail is in great shape, as good as I have seen it...bugs were not bad till you stopped moving....soooo...don't stop moving....
    it was great meeting Chris and his friend... and Tim from Rutland, on the way in and out...
    rockbiter...David S. chewin' up the high peaks ....whew, 8 summits in 3 days

My husband and I are planning to do this same hike next week. Just wondering…. about how much time did you add to your hike by including Hough?
    Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars.

Comment

Hey Rock,
      Sounds like you've got it down...my wife and I are taking on the peaks and did our first 2 on Thursday. We are planning our next climb(s) in a week or so. We'd like to do multiples when possible. We are avid cyclists and in pretty good shape. Any advice or wisdom would be appreciated. We'd like to become a 46er's while we still have our legs........
      Thanks,
      Chris

Comment

You go, Dave!!!
        Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

Chris....the best advise I can give...especially for those of us who are feeling a bit of age...is to hike often...find a local climb, if you have one and do it often...I didn't really start in the high peaks till I was 51...3 yrs ago...I have Black mt. north of whitehall NY...about 15 miles from home and have been up it probably 70 times in the last 3 yrs.....when I can't get to the Daks...!
          In the high peaks...ask about the best approaches on the forums and consider all advice about combining summits, knowing that you have to push your body and mind a bit...we all get tired and sore, but they are all doable as day hikes if you keep the goal in your head and push your limits a little....though remember that the mts. will always be there and if you have to turn back cause you have an issue...physical, mental, weather, or supplies...don't be overly stuborn...I have been denied summits and came back to get them a week later...carry plenty of water, or filters and know where to find it...
          You can combine 2, 3 and 4 mts on many treks and you'll be amazed at how quickly they come together,...and if you need, want, or just enjoy the company of others...ask...many of us will gladly go wherever, whenever...
          I remember reading the books, studying the maps and being anxious about some of the loooong hikes...did most all of the first lap solo and always welcomed the opportunity to hike with someone who has been there...
          And, most of all ...enjoy the experience... one of the best events of my life...
          rockbiter...

Comment

I love the Dix Range. There are so many options to keep adding peaks (or not) and still make a nice loop back to your starting point since they are grouped relatively close together. The Macomb slide is fun, Carson & Grace are relatively easy, Hough is a little harder, the Beckhorn is impressive and the Dix Summit is right up there. All five have great views!
            Limped thru the Northeast 115...

Comment

Hello again Rock,
              My wife and I are going to take on the peaks this weekend. Since Placid is going to overrun with Ironmen, we are going to stay in Lake Clear at Charlies. We are familiar with Charlies as we frequent there in the winter months. Can you recommend the best approach for us to hike multiple peaks on Saturday? We'd like to take advantage of an early start and a full day. Thanks in advance.
              Chris

Comment

Thanks for the advice. We head out today to spend a couple nights.
                Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars.

Comment

sorry, cpro, I got carried away with my advise response....too many choices....depends on where you want to go...you can get 3 in the sewards,... santanonis,... Macs- Algonquin, Iroquois, Wright,.. Pyramid peak to Gothics, Armstrong, and Upper wolfjaw and maybe LW for 4.... Marcy,Skylight, Gray, 20 miles-tough, returning through L Arnold pass... 3 or 4 in the Dixes-up Macomb, S,E,and or not Hough... or Dix via the Beckhorn, from Elk Lake with Hough and save the other 3 for a separate hike... Haystack, Basin, Saddleback- again 20 miles-tough... Dial, Nippletop- a great hike.... getting Redfield and Cliff from upper works would be great to get done early....you can combine Colden and Tabletop together, via Lake Arnold- crossing back over the Indian Falls trail to TTop from Heart lake....
                  of those...the easiest one may be the Gothics-UW hike...but because you are in L Clear, I'm going to recommend the Sewards...from Coreys off rt. 3....you have to go down the Coreys rd quite a ways to get to the trailhead....once you leave the lot its about a mile to the first split, go right...about another mile, a jct. with signs, go right again- south on the caulkins truck trail...maybe 3 miles on a wide trail to a cairn, an upside down pail with a rock on top, left here on the caulkins brook trail which is a very nice hike up to Donaldson, straight over- south to Emmons...an easy hike, then back to Donaldson, just below the summit on the north side take a right at the jct to Seward, you should see Sew. to the north....go straight over Seward and down-north to the ward brook truck trail then left-NW, back to the parking area...maybe 5 miles...total about 16+ miles- 10 hrs to 12 tops
                  good luck and enjoy

Comment

Ok heres what we did- and boy are we paying for it now!!! Left the Loj at 7 AM Saturday with a plan- Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois and back. Should have stuck to our plan and not listened to the well intentioned advice from a fellow hiker. We by passed Wright and went straight on to Algonquin with the intention of now catching Wright on the way back. Good plan except for the part where we had to climb Algonquin twice...you know, once to get to the summit and then off to Iroquois, then up the summit again to get back to Wright and climb that peak. So essentially, we did 4 peaks that day-
                    I think it would have been easier on us if we had done Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois then the trail through Colden back to the Loj. Realizing that would have added more miles to our hike, I think the extra climb really kicked our butts....We thought we are in good shape. its easier to ride my bike 100 miles in a day than it was to climb those peaks!!!!
                    Cant wait for the next climbs!!!!!
                    Thank you for the great tips. You are now officially our 46er guide...LOL

Comment

Hey Rock,
                      I am planning my next hike and like the sound of your initial loop over Macomb, Carson, Grace and Hough. Any idea what the total mileage was?
                      ADK 19/46
                      5W

..."and in one moment that cheerful, confiding bird preached me the most effectual sermon on heavenly trust that I had ever heard through all the measured hours of Sabbath, and I went on not half so heart-sick, nor half so weary." -John Muir

Comment

FND...I think that its around 15 miles...2 1/2 to slide brook...2 more up to the slide and Macomb...a bit over a mile to Carson- S dix...same to Grace....same back to Cars...same to Hough...so 9ish to Hough...and maybe 6 back down Lillians brook and out...easiest 4 mt. loop in the Daks...well maybe...LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X