Snaking around on Big Slide 6.26.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snaking around on Big Slide 6.26.12

Instead of my usual Wednesday off, this week my off-day happened to fall on Tuesday. After checking the forecast several times and being teased with a little sun icon half out of a cloud, my friend and I figured we'd see if we could get the 60% non-rain portion of the projected forecast. My friend Chuck and I had been trying to get out on a hike together for a while and circumstances worked in our favor to hit the trails together today. He is fairly new to the bigger mountains in the area having finished most in the Lake George area and looking to venture into the high peaks.

I was initially going to try to take him up Algonquin and Iroquois but the possibility of T-torms in the afternoon and increasingly apparent lack of views had us switch our hike to Big Slide. I had been up it in several years, since doing it for my 46 circuit and was excited to do it again. Temps when we left the garden were very comfortable for hiking, probably mid 50's. Besides getting a taste of climbing a high peak, minus a C/P hike as a kid, Chuck also was interested in testing his Five Fingers on a real mountain and see how they performed. Well the immediate feedback from him was his calves voicing their displeasure about the choice, but as we continued on they seemed to work themselves out. We had a great hike up over the Brothers, although much to my disappointment for myself but mostly for him, we had absolutely no views either on the way up or from the summit of Big Slide. It was meant to be a day of white clouds and rain, and our most exciting view was a vicious timber rattlesnake that jumped out of the ground and tried to bite us!!!....no not really, just a little gardner snake slithering along the edge of the trail near the first lookout ledge.

We enjoyed a short little lunch in the clouds and headed back down the Slide Brook Trail, enjoying the views of the brook as we descended and the multiple little waterfalls it offered. It was also impressive to see the high water marks on the trees and all the debris that was deposited by Irene. We shared the trail two guys on the way up, a father/son? below the trail split near the summit, a group of 8 or so girls coming up the Slide Brook trail, and a couple of guys heading back to JBL to work on the Great Range on Wed. Hopefully your weather is much better today guys!

Overall my buddy and I still had a fun time even without the views, and as I said to him, it's just a good excuse to go back and do it again on a nice day!
    After our hike we decided to reward ourselves with a nice tasty beer at the Ausable Inn and just before we headed out were joined by PaRidgerunner and Muddybottoms! Was nice chatting with you both for a few minutes and hope you enjoy the rest of your vaca.
    Scotzman
    ADK-#6910
    10/46W
    15/48NH
    66/115
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Originally posted by Rik
    I love BS...
    It's great for artists
    Scotzman
    ADK-#6910
    10/46W
    15/48NH
    66/115
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotzman View Post
      Besides getting a taste of climbing a high peak, minus a C/P hike as a kid, Chuck also was interested in testing his Five Fingers on a real mountain and see how they performed. Well the immediate feedback from him was his calves voicing their displeasure about the choice, but as we continued on they seemed to work themselves out.
      Thanks Scotzman for getting me interested in hiking the 46. (I'm the VFF wearing nincompoop.)
      "Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence." -Hermann Buhl

36/46

2/46W

My 46er journey - http://adkjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
      X