Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALGonquin Bob
    replied
    "She thinks a lot of us look a little too, ah, how shall I say it, generously fleshed out to be hikers."

I think it was wide angle lens distortion (always shoot portraits with the telephoto lens setting).

Of course, Doug does call himself the "largest 46-r"!...

Leave a comment:

• mcpeak
    replied
    She wants to come on a hike with me this summer. We've been doing 10K loops over Mt. Royal (500 foot gain) three times a week to get her in shape. Today we went straight up a talus slope, maybe 250 vertical feet. I said to imagine doing that for a couple of hours maybe. She said sure because it obviously wouldn't be that steep all the way. No, said I, steeper.
    I thought I'd take her up Algonquin - lots of bang for the buck. It'll be in June on a sunny tues or thurs if anybody's interested.

Those paths around Mt Royal are great. Whenever I've been up there, I've seen a lot of people taking advantage of that beautiful park. I try to use Cobbs Hill Park the same way, but it is nowhere near the size of Mt Royal.

Leave a comment:

• Everest NBD
    replied
    Yes I did only have one shoe on and didnt feel to good either. Anyway the trip was probably the most fun I have had on a whack but to tell the truth I have done only three.

And thanks to everyone that came it was a wonderful experience.

(Neil the flute was awsome)

Leave a comment:

• ADKatie
    replied
    How RUDE!!!!!!

I'm sure as hell glad *I* wasn't in those pictures!

Okay, I guess we turn now to the thread I started about healthy hiking grub. I liked Sylvie's selection: fresh strawberries, a can of Pringles (okay, they weren't the fat free kind) and a sandwich I didn't inquire about, but I'm sure it was healthier than the PBJ I packed.

Now, drop and give me 50!

Leave a comment:

• hillman1
    replied
    I showed the picture to my mother, and she made the same comment. I told her it's a miracle I could fit between the trees.

Leave a comment:

• Neil
    replied
    Originally posted by Rik
    I showed the group shot in the parking lot to my associate and her comments were rather disparaging. She thinks a lot of us look a little too, ah, how shall I say it, generously fleshed out to be hikers.
    I say you invite her to come on a hike with us!
    She wants to come on a hike with me this summer. We've been doing 10K loops over Mt. Royal (500 foot gain) three times a week to get her in shape. Today we went straight up a talus slope, maybe 250 vertical feet. I said to imagine doing that for a couple of hours maybe. She said sure because it obviously wouldn't be that steep all the way. No, said I, steeper.
    I thought I'd take her up Algonquin - lots of bang for the buck. It'll be in June on a sunny tues or thurs if anybody's interested.

Leave a comment:

• Rik
    replied
    I showed the group shot in the parking lot to my associate and her comments were rather disparaging. She thinks a lot of us look a little too, ah, how shall I say it, generously fleshed out to be hikers.
    I say you invite her to come on a hike with us!

Nick only has one shoe!

Leave a comment:

• Mavs00
    replied
    Hey, I resemble that remark. How dare your co-worker point out the obvious. .

Anyhow, we were fit enough to make it to the summit and back again, right. Hey, I wonder if that makes it somewhat less of an achievement for the super-fit PinPin machine hikers that have done it before us. You know, that us weekend warriors were able to do it too :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Neil
    replied
    I showed the group shot in the parking lot to my associate and her comments were rather disparaging. She thinks a lot of us look a little too, ah, how shall I say it, generously fleshed out to be hikers. I told her that's cuz we're not hikers we're bushwhackers. She didn't buy it. So that's it. I'm starting a diet...next week. Where's the fridge?

Leave a comment:

• Rik
    replied
    Just checked out Tim's pictures. Great! Especially the parking lot shot. Neil in a jacket but barefoot!

Leave a comment:

• Neil
    replied
    The problem with 8 people on a bushwhack as thick as this one was is that if you spread out to minimize impact you lose track of where everyone is. I think single file offers the most security allthough part of the fun of a shwack is going your very own way. When we did hike in single file and I was at the back I could see the impact but it was very minimal. Perhaps I'm missing something but in bush that thick I don't see what there is to be worried about. Now, if we were to post tracklogs and coordinates for special spots on a mtn. as close to the Loj as LPP is then there's no doubt in my mind that a braided, messy herd trail would form.

Keeping the route vague is a good policy simply to ensure that everybody who goes takes a different route.

Leave a comment:

• ADKatie
    replied
    Indeed, Bald/Rondaxe, near Old Forge.

Trip report is forthcoming, watch for it! Same for the Hurricane trip report.

Leave a comment:

• Rik
    replied
    Bald (Rondaxe)? Near Old Forge? Another real nice one. So Katie?

Leave a comment:

• Mavs00
    replied
    Goodnow turned to Bald (which was awesome) due low clouds in Placid area in the AM. I think I'll let Mama write up her Mothers Day trip.

Leave a comment:

• Rik
    replied
    What a great trip (he types with very scratched up hands)! Big shout out to Neil for playing flute at the pond and again at the summit. Nice treat. The view from cliff was worth the extra effort. Also regarding the views: Wallface made Adams look small, MacNaughton made Wallface look small, and Santanoni made MacNaughton look small. Great to meet those I hadn't met before and great to hike with those I had met before.
    So where's the Goodnow report?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X