Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Pond - Found Paradise

Part trip report, part observation

I wanted to share a recent trip we did (and a few thoughts that occurred along the way). Myself, my son, my brother Dan and a few friends from my forum and VFTT met at the LOJ and headed out towards our destination UNNAMED MT. (Lost Pond Peak), the highest unnamed peak in NYS and #49 in the Adirondacks (higher than both Nye & Couch).

We made quick business of the trailed section and soon cut into the bushwhack portion of the hike, Now, we were a party of 8, which is WAY to big (IMO) for a bushwhack party, but we did our absolute best to spread out and minimize our impact (successfully I think too). We strayed from our intended route and headed for a particular spot and with difficulty, found an outcropping at 3500’ that perhaps gives the most splendid view of the McIntyre’s that is to be had, ANYWHERE (So long as you did not mind the 120’ cliff you stood on to see it . From there we headed on up, but because we had altered our route, we ended up having to make up for it near the top. It was tough, Blowdown, 3’ decomposing snow (the kind even snowshoes wouldn’t have helped on), stretches of deep thick boreal forest. In other words, pure heaven for people dumb enough to do this sort of stuff. We split into two groups (accidently and on purpose), with one group heading down to the pond for a beautiful pond side flute concert (thanks Neil). The other including me stayed high looking for a view. I’ll tell you that from 150’ feet above, clawing my way through the thickest, nastiest stuff around, the melody that floated up through the trees was soulful and spiritual all at the same time..

Eventually, we all made out way to the one bump that represents the summit. It was an amazing day and the view was simply splendid. We could see clear down to Snowy in the south and we all (Well some anyway) looked longingly over to Cutter, Raker and the rest of the majestic Sawtooth Range. After lunch, we headed out and took a much more logical route down that was faster and very uneventful, aside from a few really lovely view spots along the way, Once we hit the trail again, it was a quick jaunt back to the lodge. What a truly amazing day, in a truly amazing place. Thanks to my old and new friends that shared my journey. One of the best parts was that we left NO TRACE of our passing (well, nothing a good rain shower won’t wash away).

I did want to add a few things that occurred to me on this and a few other recent hikes. First was, we noticed in several spots, the UGLY presence of man. Specifically, a few “paint blazes” and some “suspiciously” knocked over trees to create a view overlooking the pond up high. I beg others that explore there to PLEASE not alter this magical place (and I stress PLEASE). I also realized that, there really isn’t anything to be found on this peak for a simple peakbagger, nothing that can’t be found elsewhere anyways. Views are really only views after all. This place is for those that find spiritual renewal in those places that are so wild, remote and very difficult to get to. It did for that me.

Also, I was deliberately vague about the route, and was so for a reason, please respect that. It's not to be rude, but quite simply, If you can find it on a map, you can get there without my help. . If the last part of this post sounds a little preachy, I’m sorry, I really don’t mean for it to. This magical place (the whole mountain I mean) is so special and it’s my sincere hope that it will forever remain so.

I gave my camera to my son (to carry ) for part of the trip, so I missed a few killer shots of the pond , but I did manage to get some good pics along the way. Go -HERE- to see em.
    "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Re: Lost Pond - Found Paradise

Originally posted by Mavs00
    .... a few “paint blazes” and some “suspiciously” knocked over trees to create a view overlooking the pond up high....
    Becoming more and more common. Trees are being removed from a LOT of summits by view seekers. Paint blazes are cropping up as well.
    Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

What a great trip (he types with very scratched up hands)! Big shout out to Neil for playing flute at the pond and again at the summit. Nice treat. The view from cliff was worth the extra effort. Also regarding the views: Wallface made Adams look small, MacNaughton made Wallface look small, and Santanoni made MacNaughton look small. Great to meet those I hadn't met before and great to hike with those I had met before.
      So where's the Goodnow report?
      This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Goodnow turned to Bald (which was awesome) due low clouds in Placid area in the AM. I think I'll let Mama write up her Mothers Day trip.

Comment

Bald (Rondaxe)? Near Old Forge? Another real nice one. So Katie?

Comment

Indeed, Bald/Rondaxe, near Old Forge.

Trip report is forthcoming, watch for it! Same for the Hurricane trip report.
            --
            ADKatie
            46er #5460

Comment

The problem with 8 people on a bushwhack as thick as this one was is that if you spread out to minimize impact you lose track of where everyone is. I think single file offers the most security allthough part of the fun of a shwack is going your very own way. When we did hike in single file and I was at the back I could see the impact but it was very minimal. Perhaps I'm missing something but in bush that thick I don't see what there is to be worried about. Now, if we were to post tracklogs and coordinates for special spots on a mtn. as close to the Loj as LPP is then there's no doubt in my mind that a braided, messy herd trail would form.

Keeping the route vague is a good policy simply to ensure that everybody who goes takes a different route.

Comment

Just checked out Tim's pictures. Great! Especially the parking lot shot. Neil in a jacket but barefoot!

Comment

I showed the group shot in the parking lot to my associate and her comments were rather disparaging. She thinks a lot of us look a little too, ah, how shall I say it, generously fleshed out to be hikers. I told her that's cuz we're not hikers we're bushwhackers. She didn't buy it. So that's it. I'm starting a diet...next week. Where's the fridge?

Comment

Hey, I resemble that remark. How dare your co-worker point out the obvious. .

Anyhow, we were fit enough to make it to the summit and back again, right. Hey, I wonder if that makes it somewhat less of an achievement for the super-fit PinPin machine hikers that have done it before us. You know, that us weekend warriors were able to do it too :lol:

Comment

I showed the group shot in the parking lot to my associate and her comments were rather disparaging. She thinks a lot of us look a little too, ah, how shall I say it, generously fleshed out to be hikers.
                      I say you invite her to come on a hike with us!

Nick only has one shoe!

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
                        I showed the group shot in the parking lot to my associate and her comments were rather disparaging. She thinks a lot of us look a little too, ah, how shall I say it, generously fleshed out to be hikers.
                        I say you invite her to come on a hike with us!
                        She wants to come on a hike with me this summer. We've been doing 10K loops over Mt. Royal (500 foot gain) three times a week to get her in shape. Today we went straight up a talus slope, maybe 250 vertical feet. I said to imagine doing that for a couple of hours maybe. She said sure because it obviously wouldn't be that steep all the way. No, said I, steeper.
                        I thought I'd take her up Algonquin - lots of bang for the buck. It'll be in June on a sunny tues or thurs if anybody's interested.

Comment

I showed the picture to my mother, and she made the same comment. I told her it's a miracle I could fit between the trees.
                          set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul...T.A.

Comment

How RUDE!!!!!!

I'm sure as hell glad *I* wasn't in those pictures!

Okay, I guess we turn now to the thread I started about healthy hiking grub. I liked Sylvie's selection: fresh strawberries, a can of Pringles (okay, they weren't the fat free kind) and a sandwich I didn't inquire about, but I'm sure it was healthier than the PBJ I packed.

Now, drop and give me 50!
                            --
                            ADKatie
                            46er #5460

Comment

Yes I did only have one shoe on and didnt feel to good either. Anyway the trip was probably the most fun I have had on a whack but to tell the truth I have done only three.

And thanks to everyone that came it was a wonderful experience.

(Neil the flute was awsome)
                              In the spirit of Adventure.

Comment

Working...
                              X