Canada to end PCR testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada to end PCR testing

Even though US/Canada land borders have recently been reopened to tourists, the need to get tested on return is as major hassle, especially for short trips.

Some media are reporting today that Canada will announce shortly the removal of the requirement to provide a negative PCR test for Canadians returning home.

This would effectively make the Adirondacks once again accessible to Canadian hikers.

Thank goodness! Miss the ADK... it has been far too long.

Comment

• Eddie Fournier
      Eddie Fournier commented
      Editing a comment
      609 days and counting for me...

The announcement coming soon will say Canadians need not take a PCR test in the U.S. prior to returning, if stay is less than 72 hours.

Comment

• Yury
      Yury commented
      Editing a comment
      What if I want to travel for more than 3 days?
      Anyway, to me this testing requirement looks like random invention of government bureaucrats to signal their care about people.
      Why to have such requirement to cross the border between states and provinces but not the border between different states or a border between different provinces?

Yup, we are ready to come back. Btw, fousderando.com forum is up again, back in the days many of us attended the winter gathering.

Comment

Just in time to cross pollinate the new omicron variant between the two countries!
      Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
      ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Disclaimer: I’m not an ombudsperson for US hikers, nor do I pretend to represent anyone besides myself. What I’m sharing here is a personal narrative based on a personal observation.

I’m not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the ADK, particularly the HP region has a different vibe to it nowadays. After the initial wave of people flocking to remote spaces in mid-2020, things have calmed down substantially and there’s a much stronger sense of community than there was two years ago. For example, when NBFS and I hiked Allen a little while back we had some degree of conversation with every single person we met along the route. From the parking lot, to the summit, and then back again. Every person was completely willing (at least outwardly) to stop their progress and simply chat with us with no sense of time or objective weighing down the conversation. We had the same experience on Marshall, with the exception of a group in one of the lean-tos who we opted not to interrupt.

I’m not mentioning this as any sort of passive-aggressive means to say “Gosh its been nice without all those Canadians,” so please don’t take it that way at all. In my experience there’s been a noticeable hesitancy amongst many Canadians when it comes to engaging other hikers en route, particularly Americans. Perhaps it goes both ways and I’ve been oblivious to that. That being said, don’t be afraid to chat with people. Upstate NY has been very much “open for business” for some time now and hasn’t necessarily shared the same level of social prudishness that many areas have over the past two years.

TL;DR: This American is happy to have you back, and is welcoming you back with open arms. I sincerely believe that you’ll find the area more friendly and receptive than ever, and having our upstairs neighbors back should only serve to strengthen the region’s deepened sense of community.

My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• arvinsmee
          arvinsmee commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you all expect people on the trail to stop and chat? I'm a very friendly person, but I go to the woods to get away from people. If I'm in a particularly remote area (say, most trails in the Dacks in the winter) then I'll probably stop and chat. If it's busy (say, most trails in the Dacks in the summer) then I probably won't because a) I've seen enough people on the trail already, and b) most of them are inexperienced and don't have any good info to offer.

There is a direct inverse relationship between the number of people I'm seeing and how much I want to talk. If I'm on the western end of Lows, then I'm probably going to chat up anyone who paddles by. But Cascade on a Saturday? No.

• FlyFishingandBeer
          FlyFishingandBeer commented
          Editing a comment
          arvinsmee If I'm not looking for a social experience, the last place I'd go to is a popular peak on a Saturday, regardless of the time of year. Generally speaking, I don't hike popular high peaks on popular days.

Personally speaking, I never make the assumption that any given person whom I encounter on the trail has less experience than me or nothing to offer. In fact, people who demonstrate their lack of experience in the back (or front) country are excellent to chat with, because an experienced hiker might unknowingly save and/or change their lives by simply sharing some small bit of perspective.

• arvinsmee
          arvinsmee commented
          Editing a comment
          To be clear, I'm not assuming that any particular person I pass is inexperienced. But based on the conversation that I have had in the past, if I stopped and chatted with everyone who is willing, then I'd be engaging in a lot of empty banter.

If anyone ever asks a question I'm happy to help, and if you're the only person I've seen all day, then I'll probably talk your ear off. And if I'm in a new area I often ask people for advice on water sources or the like. But I totally get why most people in a relatively busy area skip on the opportunity to chat.

Don't forget that some of those upstairs neighbors barely speak enough English to get past CBP at Champlain

Comment

Welcome back! I always enjoy seeing my Canadian neighbors on the trail, or in town. I used to be fluent in French (45 years ago) and a little bit of it is still available to me. Once or twice through the years, I have been able to help some folks who spoke no English at all, with directions or trail information using my halting French. Helpful for them, and a fun brain exercise for me!

On the thread drift about Omicron, note: Apparently symptoms documented to date in South Africa have been very mild ("some fatigue, a slight cough" per the doctors there); and this variant seems particularly contagious. Probably a good thing if it comes here as soon as possible, bringing closer the end of the "pandemic." Case rates for Delta and other variants are remarkably high right now in states that futilely tried to delay the spread. In states that protected the vulnerable and let nature take its course, the pandemic has essentially ended.

Last edited by tcd; 11-30-2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I'm hiking Phelps and Tabletop tomorrow. I expect to get my butt kicked but you have to start somewhere! And, I speak English, Spanish, French and American!

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
              Hear the Footsteps commented
              Editing a comment
              Good for you.
              Reminder. It's the season for ice. Bring traction gear.

• Neil
              Neil commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, been reading the TR's on various FB pages. Conditions seem to vary a lot locally. Bringing my K10's along with my trusty MSR's. Thinking bare boots to the dam, spikes to at least the Phelps jnxn then snowshoes to T-top. Maybe traction for the central section on Phelps.

• FlyFishingandBeer
              FlyFishingandBeer commented
              Editing a comment
              How'd it go?

EDIT. Nevermind. I see the TR is up.

Ok, well that didn't last - PCR testing for short trips (< 72 hrs) is back effective next Tuesday (Dec. 21). Moreover, the testing will have to be done in the visited country before re-entering Canada.

Comment

• Yury
              Yury commented
              Editing a comment
              Can somebody explain the logic behind this?
              Let's assume that I am returning to Canada in 73 hours and have a positive US test.
              So what?
              Apparently I got infected back in Canada prior to entering the US.
              What kind of protection does such test provide?

Yup. Glad I got one trip in before the revised madness. Crossing my fingers that I can get down at least once this winter.

Comment

I would anticipate it closing again, unfortunately.
              "That sounds like a terrible idea.... What time?"

Comment

Unfortunately it is effectively closed to day hikes for you lucky folks who live closer to the border than I do. The logistics of working in a PCR test and a hike and the added cost makes it less than attractive. Too bad because I was hopeful.
                Orono Stewie

Comment

It was delightful to walk ADK trails again, even for a short while. Looking forward to reuniting with the High Peaks and its wonderful, diverse hiking community, in the fullness of time.
                  Last edited by SummitHat; 12-19-2021, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Recent update for price of entry to Canada:
                    - with negative PCR test - $0.00
                    - with positive PCR test - $0.00
                    - without PCR test - $6,250.00

Price for PCR testing in Adirondacks:
                    - At Kinney Drugs in Lake Placed - $0.00; advance reservation is required, results are available in two to three business days.
                    - At Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center, 100 Horwood Pl, Ogdensburg - $150.00, no reservation required, results are available in 30 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                    X