Rocky Peak Ridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Peak Ridge

Hi, I originally posted this in another section of the forum. I think it should have gone here.
    I am planning a hike for next week to Rocky Peak Ridge from New Russia. I have done the hike in summer months but never in October.
    I assume there will be some ice but not sure how much. I plan on bringing micro spikes and of course some warm clothing.
    Other than that, any advice for an enjoyable trip? Anyone been there in the last week or so?
    Any information is much appreciated.
    Thanks.

I attempted this hike late last november or early december, and had to turn around getting to the top of RPR's east peak.
    There was no snow at all down by the roads when i parked at the new russia trailhead, i knew there had been "some" up high but didnt sound like anything significant more than a few inches in spots. I brought my spikes, and crampons i think, but not my snowshoes. I started seeing ice and some snow around bald peak, and microspikes were crucial at the time on the bare rock. After making the climb up RPR east with deeper and deeper snow, i was having to push through 3-4 ft drifts and had to turn around after getting exhausted and flabbergasted by the unexpected extreme conditions (there was a super thick icy fog up high but also with snow i think).
    Sorry its not from recent, but with no other replies I guess im getting at, go prepared with traction and layers? To the point i got to on that hike, microspikes were pretty much necessary, and i might have worn my crampons for a little but not sure, and i wish i had my snowshoes up higher, and one of my fleeces got wetted through in the icy fog before a change and was frozen stiff for awhile. It was a tough day.
    "...don't assume you can't do it...we all make mistakes and sometimes fail. Keep working and learning, and be committed to improving fitness, and there is no limit to what you can do." Joe Bogardus
    "I believe it is in our nature to explore, to reach out into the unknown. The only true failure would be not to explore at all." Ernest Shackleton

Comment

You will probably have an easy go of it on Rocky Peak Ridge next week because temperatures haven’t been below freezing much and to my knowledge the Adirondacks have not had snow.
      But since it’s a shoulder season pack prepared for conditions as if it were the middle of winter. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
      Should be a fun time; Have a good hike!

Comment

Thank you both for your responses. This is one of my favorite trails and is a first for a few in my group.

Comment

It has been warm but a cold front passed through this past weekend and the temperatures have been much more seasonably-appropriate over the past few days. I'd definitely bring the microspikes- forecasts are calling for overnight lows around freezing at lower elevations this week. It's a pretty good bet that temps will be dipping into the 20s overnight at higher elevations.
          Last edited by DSettahr; 10-19-2021, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X