What day will Corey's Rd close?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What day will Corey's Rd close?

Hello, does anyone know what day Corey's Road will be closing? I want to do a backpacking trip this weekend. Even if I can get to the trailhead on Friday (12/11), I want to be sure I can get out on Sunday (12/13). Or, do you know who I would call to ask? Thank you!

Try contacting Region 5 Information:
    (518) 897-1200 Ray Brook
    email Info.R5@dec.ny.gov

Don

Comment

I think I called Kevin Burns when I had a question about the gate. https://www.dec.ny.gov/about/667.html

Comment

Thank you both so much! I just called Kevin and he confirmed that the road is closed as of today.

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
          Hear the Footsteps commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. They didn't give much time for hunters to clear out after Big Game Season.

Or maybe they know who is there, check and close the gate when gone; which, apparently was quick.
          I saw one camping trailer in the campsites that are visible from the road on Dec 3.

So no cheating by driving to the summer trailhead for winter ascents on the Sewards this year. Break out the skis!

Comment

• HPFairy
          HPFairy commented
          Editing a comment
          I was hoping for snow so I could drag a sled to try out some new winter gear, but no snow yet! I'll be hoofing it. :-)

The gate is closed for the season.

From the NYSDEC website;
        • The gate on Corey's Road at the Raquette Falls Trailhead is closed for the winter months. The gate is expected to re-open in May 2021. Access to the Seward Range will require an additional 3 miles each way. Visitors can still hike, ski, and snowshoe the road. Users might encounter logging equipment from a private landowner's logging operation.
        • South Meadows Road is closed to public vehicle traffic for the winter season. Users may still walk, ski, and snowshoe the road.

Comment

Working...
        X