Overnight suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight suggestions

I'm new to hiking in the Adirondacks, and planning on a trip in late July. Likely we'll drive there Saturday and stay somewhere front country. I would like to then do a one night overnight Sunday to Monday in either the High Peaks Wilderness or nearby (open to Dix Mountain and Pharaoh Lake areas too). Looking for great views and/or waterfalls.

There are three of us and we are all pretty experienced backpackers, however two of us have knee issues that are exacerbated by downhills. I would say we are looking for a MAX of 10 miles per day, but likely less if we're doing a lot of elevation. Some elevation is definitely great, but preference for climbing one day and descending the second day.

Climbing one day and descending the next...there is no camping above a certain elevation, so I’m not sure if you can plan a trip like that.

You could hike in to Marcy Dam, which is a popular camping area. Hike to Indian Falls and hit Phelps, Tabletop or Marcy, the latter being the longest hike but the best views of the three.

Comment

Originally posted by Not_Built_For_Speed View Post
      Climbing one day and descending the next...there is no camping above a certain elevation, so I’m not sure if you can plan a trip like that.

You could hike in to Marcy Dam, which is a popular camping area. Hike to Indian Falls and hit Phelps, Tabletop or Marcy, the latter being the longest hike but the best views of the three.
      Got it. I understand you can't camp above 4,000 feet, but are there no campsites along the way up any of the peaks at all?

Comment

Well there are many other places to check out. The AllTrails App may not be great for navigation, but it is good for trip planning. It shows campsites, elevation, etc.

Comment

If you're going to be hiking/camping in the High Peaks Wilderness, you really need to get the ADK's book and map. If you're going to other areas of the Adirondacks, get the appropriate map produced by a collaboration with the ADK and National Geographic. The ADK map is better, but it only exists for the High Peaks Wilderness.
          Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
          2nd round: 16
          SL6r #596
          Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Wanika Falls

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2...ke-placid.html

Comment

Thanks for suggestions!

How doable would it be to do Day 1 from Heart Lake, up Avalanche Pass to Lake Colden, then continue on up Opalescent River and camp near Feldspar. Second day continue to Lake Tear, Mount Marcy, and hike back to Heart Lake via Van Hoevenberg trail?

Comment

• Yury
                Yury commented
                Editing a comment
                If " two of [you] have knee issues", going through Avalanche Pass to Lake Colden to Feldspar with a full pack may not be that enjoyable.
                A trail around Avalanche Lake has a lot of boulders to deal with.
                It make sense to start your trip from Upper Works if your destination is Feldspar.

Anyway, have you thought about having two separate goals:
                1) an overnight trips somewhere outside High Peaks area.
                2) a high peak as a day hike.

Many would consider that a day hike, but there is no reason you could not take your time and do it as an overnight. It is a good climb from Feldspar (3300 ft) to Marcy (5300 ft) with an overnight pack, especially if hot/sunny.

Comment

• SIAWOL
                SIAWOL commented
                Editing a comment
                LOVED the climb from Feldspar to LTOTC. respectable grade and constant for that ~1.25 miles, but a great trail. Thought the climb up back side of Marcy from just below Schofield Cobble to summit was one of steeper stretches we've been on....not the steepest, but definitely plenty of stop and catch your breath moments.

Uphill Lean To from Upper Works is just over 7 miles and puts you right at the herd path for Cliff and Redfield and near an excellent water source. From there you are .5 miles from the Feldspar Trail which could take you, with lighter packs to Gray and Skylight and maybe even Marcy. I did just that(minus Marcy) with a friend a month ago. We camped two nights and had a grand old time! I recommend it highly.

Comment

Working...
              X