AMR parking update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMR parking update

For this weekend, parking at the AMR has now truly been reduced to 28 cars. The lot was full as of 8 AM this morning, and there was a Conservation Officer stationed across the road at the Roaring Brook lot. Hike somewhere else this weekend.

I did my usual, route 73 weekend car count from the Rooster Comb parking lot (just outside of Keene Valley village) to The Round Pond Lot (for hiking Dix). This is generally referred to as the Chapel Pond corridor and I've been counting for fun the past few years. Today (Friday, 5/22) was a beautiful day and I expected a good amount of cars, maybe 70 - 90 or so. I counted 140 total with 30 at Rooster Comb, 5 at Snow Mountain lot, 7 at Mossy Cascade, 28 at the Ausable Club (full), 17 at Roaring Brook (full), 12 at the Roaring Brook Falls lookout, 12 at the upper lot on the west side of the road that has recently become an overflow lot for Roaring Brook and the Ausable Club (and involves people walking along the narrow, downhill section of rt. 73 that is very dangerous), 0 at the next 2 overflow or Beer Wall rock climbing lots, 3 at Chapel Pond lot, 20 at the side of the road parking at the start of the Giant Ridge Trail and 6 at the Round Pond lot. This tells me that tomorrow will be crazy and I'll post numbers tomorrow hopefully. The most I have seen since the restricted parking went into affect 2 years ago has been 380 - all legal but really jammed packed. This was the Saturday before Columbus Day this past Fall. It was a zoo! Last year - 2019, Victoria Day weekend (a big Canadian holiday the weekend before Memorial Day) was also a zoo (230 cars which was a record up until then). This year Victoria Day (last weekend) was busy but nothing like last year - this is mostly due to the fact that Canadians can't come down here right now as the border is closed. So, in general, 0 - 50 cars is mellow, 50 -100 is healthy with room in lots still, 100 - 150 is full in a few lots but with room to find a way to get to any trail head you want, 150 - 200 is busy with many lots full (August weekends) and 200 - 250 is the max for full parking but still doable (non holiday Fall weekends). Above that and people jam in every square inch and it feels dangerous to drive through there...When 380 was reached last year there were over 60 at the Ausable Club and cars were squeezed in everywhere at the other areas. I only once saw above 270 last year until that one weekend in early October when it really jumped in numbers...I'm very curious to see what this summer brings...

Comment

• Yury
      Yury commented
      Editing a comment
      What is a regular max capacity of the AMR lot?

• Festus
      Festus commented
      Editing a comment
      Yury - The AMR lot is actually 2 lots. I've seen them packed full with 60 cars but 45 is normally full. But this summer they are only allowing 1 lot to be open and thus 28 is the absolute max...

Were any of those cars parked illegally? Either in a No Parking zone, or in a legal parking zone, but over the white line?
    Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
    2nd round: 16
    SL6r #596
    Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

• Festus
      Festus commented
      Editing a comment
      All were parked legally that I counted. Always a few cars park illegally but that is happening less and less as Rangers etc. were posted there on busy weekends. This year the AMC will have an employee there most of the time I believe. All the new plans to deal with the parking situation in that corridor seem to be less of a priority now...

If I take up canoeing/kayaking do I have this problem?

I could see myself paddling around enjoying myself. I really want to take a canoe or kayak to Boreas ponds. Floating along looking up at the high peaks. Breathing. Camping by the fire. I hear Cranberry lake has tons of camping spots on the lake.
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• moosebeware
      moosebeware commented
      Editing a comment
      Depends on where you want to go. The lower dam at Bog River has limited parking and they are doing construction on the dam as well as adding parking there. I was at Little Tupper for part of the weekend and the lot wasn't packed when I got there Friday morning, nor when I left Saturday late afternoon (I left early because of medical issues). I know there is more limited parking at the Boreas (haven't been there yet), but you can find lots of other places to go where you won't see many, if any people. Plenty of lakes and ponds with islands that have one or two campsites. I had my own island last Labor Day weekend on Lake Lila. Watching the sunset over Mt. Frederica every night was a treat. Getting woken up by loons at 2, 3, 4 a.m. not so much, but pretty par for the course this time of year.

Side note: I came home last night with a hitchhiking tick on me. This is the first one I've found in the Adirondacks. I always thought I was pretty safe there. Can't help but feel a little betrayed.

Went through there today as well.

Of course all the perfectly safe parking on the wide shoulder north of the RBF lot was deserted, having been posted "No Parking."

As Festus observed, the dangerous but legal pullouts up the hill were full of cars, with hikers doing the dangerous walk on the narrow shoulder down the winding 55 mph hill.

The insanity of the policies being forced into place by deskbound "know-nothings" in Albany continues to astound. Be careful driving; I hope no one gets hurt this weekend due to the incredibly dangerous situation Albany has created.

Comment

Is there any hope that they will open back up the second lot at amr?

Comment

• gebby
        gebby commented
        Editing a comment
        I think everyone's gut feeling would be that it will be like this for the rest of the year or until this pandemic is a distant memory or a COVID-19 vaccine is released. Let's hope they open it up fully at that point! :(

I doubt the crowds will lessen much from normal whether there is parking or not.
      Local here, SCNY, news people were interviewing travelers at the NYS and Pa. rest areas and asked , Where are you headed? And each said 'The Adirondacks'.
      Memorial Day weekend is the traditional beginning of summer and opening up of camps.

Comment

Drove through there again just now, Saturday afternoon. The situation is an unmitigated disaster.

Anyone who imagined that somehow this year with the virus things would be quieter simply imagined wrong.

All the safe (but illegal) parking was of course empty. The legal (but dangerous pullouts up RBF hill were absolutely packed, and crowds of hikers were walking up and down the narrow shoulder of the 55 mph highway.

This situation has been obvious for years, and for years, many voices have recommended safe and correct solutions. And the eventual lawsuits will cost FAR more than the correct solutions would have cost. But Albany has bullheadedly pursued this dangerous and stupid course. Here is an open communication to Governor Cuomo, Senator Little, and Assemblyman Stec, with a question, and a reminder:

Question: How can you let this go on?

Reminder: When the inevitable tragedy happens, you will have blood on your hands. What are you going to do about that?

Comment

• Bunchberry
          Bunchberry commented
          Editing a comment
          When someone does get injured, they will close the spots up the hill.

• Yury
          Yury commented
          Editing a comment
          What is " RBF"?

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          Roaring Brook Falls

Does anybody know if they are planning running the shuttle bus at all this summer ?

Comment

It sounds like somebody local could make a killing offering private rides to hikers. Maybe there is an app for that...

Comment

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          I wonder if there is some local ordinance that would discourage folks from allowing parking on their land and carting them to the trailhead? You see it just about everywhere else there is a sporting event, concert, or large gathering. Well, minus the ferry service. You'd think some enterprising local citizen would have thought of it already. Park on somebody's lawn in Keene Valley for $10 or $20 and walk the mile to the AMR. People would do it. However, it would be worse for safety than allowing the parking on the shoulder that is now prohibited out of concern for just that.

Has anybody attempted to park miles from a trailhead and grab a ride in with Uber or Lyft? Seems like a reasonable approach though on a busy morning or evening there may not be enough drivers locally to meet the demand, if say 50 people all wanted rides at 8:00 a.m. or 8:00 p.m. And depending on the trailhead cell reception is spotty. You may have reception where you parked in the morning but none at the trailhead at night once you've finished your hike in order to hail a ride back to your car. I get no reception from getting off the Northway onto 73 until I reach Keene Valley. That would kill a lot of trailheads for me.

Back in college I worked at the Saratoga race track in the summer. I remember ppl charging $20 a car for parking in their yard. Think about it...10 cars a day multiplied by $20, multiplied by 6 days a week, for 6 weeks...$7,200 cash, tax free every track season. Capitalism!

Comment

• MTVhike
          MTVhike commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, technically not tax free. But I think that would be a good idea. Is there any private property along 73 which could accommodate a private parking lot?
      Working...
      X