First winter hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First winter hike

Hope you are all staying warm today!! Anyways, I want to hike this Sunday, 2/16. I have snowshoes and crampons, but no ice ax. I know conditions can change very quickly but I’m wondering is there a best resource for up to date trail conditions? I’m leaning towards Phelps and Tabletop. You guys got another suggestion for peaks with minimal ice right now? Marshall? Cliff and Redfield? Big Slide? Colden?

thanks.

No need for an axe on Phelps or Tabletop bring lots of layers it’s going to be a cold one
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

Layers, I have. Town of Keene shows to have a high of 36 on sunday. What kind of temperature difference should I expect?

Comment

Thanks. And thanks for the link!

Comment

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        BTW... that windchill number could be meaningless depending on wind direction. If it's in your face on the summit then it matters. If coming from behind you and the trees block it then not so much. And generally speaking it won't affect you much at all on the climb.

Well that was awesome. Got both peaks in less than 8 hours. Although I do need to work on the technical skills of butt-sliding.

Comment

At the summit of Phelps I met two women who were on their way to Colden. They were absolute speed hikers. I imagine the veteran hiker of the two is a member here.

I also ran ran into two guys that were new to the adks. One didn’t have a pack, and wore blue jeans and rubber muck boots!

Comment

[QUOTE=Not_Built_Fo

I also ran ran into two guys that were new to the adks. One didn’t have a pack, and wore blue jeans and rubber muck boots!

[/QUOTE]

That's a death waiting to happen.

Comment

• Yury
          Yury commented
          Editing a comment
          "That's a death waiting to happen."
          That's an exaggeration for a day hike on a nice weather day.

Jeans shouldn't be in the woods in winter, regardless of the weather. Accidents happen. My opinion, you have yours. Mine might be the extreme view but I've carried bodies and hypothermic people and most could have been prevented.

Comment

Working...
        X