Winter Gothics Recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Gothics Recommendation?

We will be hiking Sunday, Feb. 16, and, among several options, are considering Gothics from AMR.

Possible routes:
    1. Lake Road to Lower Ausable dam, to Weld Trail, over Pyramid, to Gothics. Retrace route for return.
    2. take route #1, but descend via Beaver Meadow Trail and out Lake Rd
    3. Lake Road to Beaver Meadow Trail, up to ADK Range Trail, to Gothics; Retrace route for return.
    We took Beaver Meadow trail down from Armstrong on Jan 2, so we know it is quite steep, but not sure how an ascent of it compares energy expended to going up and over Pyramid to Gothics Via Weld trail.

How might the ice conditions/terrain compare to ascent of Upper Wolf Jaw and Armstrong from Wedge Brook and ADK Range Trail? (We found that route challenging on January 2nd—going up the Armstrong ladder took some work! ‘hoping additional snow since then may have helped.)

Thanks for your comments.
    46/46, 20/46w "I only went out for a walk, and concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." John Muir

I am set on hiking pyramid and gothics from the amr myself sometime over the next week and half, but don't have a set date (most likely in range of feb 19/20/21).
    I am still unsure of my direction, but definitely thinking loop incorporating weld and beaver meadow trails, and possibly getting to Armstrong also. I have done the weld trail up to sawteeth twice in winter (most recently this last December) and to me it seems to have a nice mellow warmup til the west turn at a brook followed by a steeper ascent to the junction, with no ice to talk of between the lake and the junction either time, im guessing taking the right from the split to pyramid will get quite a bit steeper with ice.
    I have recently been looking up past trip reports on this forum, if you haven't already do a search and you will see trailboss (among others) has some great writeups of the trails and going over gothics and pyramid.
    Of course, info from those in the know and from recent trips will obviously be more helpful, so im hoping for replies also.
    I have to say, some amazing pics on here from past winter trips to this area. I feel giddy like a child impatiently awaiting christmas, I cant wait, lol.
    35er #3133
    46er #11779

"Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds"
    Zarathustra

Comment

• KV Streamer
      KV Streamer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks biker hiker

Last Sunday I went up the Weld trail, over Pyramid to Gothics, Armstrong, and UWJ, coming down the Wedge Brook trail. The Weld trail to Gothics and the Gothics-Armstrong col was well broken out. I had no issues using snowshoes - no ice to deal with. The Beaver Meadows trail appeared well broken too. No one had been to Armstrong. The ladder on Armstrong was buried - climbed down through the trees next to it. There was some ice where I climbed down. I lost the trail in the Armstrong-UWJ col - snow drifts obliterated the trail - I used GPS to find it again.

Comment

Thanks BillB
      46/46, 20/46w "I only went out for a walk, and concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." John Muir

Comment

Working...
      X