Donaldson, Emmons, Seward questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaldson, Emmons, Seward questions

Heading to the ADK Wednesday and planning on hitting the three mountains mentioned above. Going in from the Calkins brook trail. Has anyone been in that area in the recent past that can give me an idea of conditions?

Thank you!
    Jon

My daughter (9... 33/46) thought this trio was "Easy."
    The worst part was the end of the day walk out.
    Aside from that, We did it DEDS with zero problems.

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...ward-8-26-2019

Comment

Originally posted by Learning The Trails View Post
      My daughter (9... 33/46) thought this trio was "Easy."
      The worst part was the end of the day walk out.
      Aside from that, We did it DEDS with zero problems.

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...ward-8-26-2019
      Thanks, that’s encouraging! Last years trip we did Seymour and had to abandon the rest due to weather.

Comment

• Learning The Trails
        Editing a comment
        The range gets a tough/bad rep. I really liked the solitude.
        If you accept that it will be muddy beforehand. You'll be all good!
        The scrambles up Seward are interesting and pretty fun.

I had the pleasure of doing DES on Saturday. What a beautiful day.

It was an interesting adventure for me and certainly a learning experience. I consider myself to be a rookie regarding the HP’s, and only have 27/46 to my name. I’ve come to really enjoy the ruggedness of the area.

Anyway, here’s how my day went. I anticipated a challenging day with a high dose of water and mud, with the added concern of some minor icing as the forecast called for temps in the 20’s. Well, icing was my biggest challenge. Calkins Brook was in good shape, typical mud, etc. About an hour from Donaldson I started noticing the ice that continued up Donaldson, up Emmons, then the return to up and down Seward. I only went down once but down the north side of Seward was very tricky for me. Not sure if spikes would have helped as I have never used them, but three of the six people I met on the trail were wearing spikes. I would say a bit above average mud, with a nice crispy 1/4 of ice on top. Somewhere between Donaldson and Emmons my waterproof boots were completely flooded (those waterproof boots sure do hold water and mud in as well as out).

The ice and “frost” probably added about 45 mins. to my 9 hour hike.

Biggest complaint...hearing my feet squishing around in my boots for the 5 mile walk back to the parking lot along Blueberry Trail.

All in all, fairly typical I thought. (again, rookie here).

Have fun!

sw

Comment

Did it the wet summer of 2017. Not bad mud wise, especially compared to Dix range that year. Did Calkins Brook (which I recommend both up and down), Do Donaldson, then get Seward done, then back to Emmons. Or even SDE. Actually we did SDE now that I write this.. In any case, don't save S for last, just the view UP from the T at the top of Calkins Brooks is like "oh....up there?" Do S while fresher. No issues coming back down from D at end of day. Enjoy!

Comment

• Learning The Trails
          Editing a comment
          Uhhh... Definitely do Seward last. Seward has two trails. Emmons has one. Donaldson means nothing unless you get Emmons. If the weather or something comes up you can always come back for Seward and have multiple options for tagging it.

LTT that's fair. So...OP....if you are feeling good at the top of Calkins Brook, as is your party, and the weather, do Steward first, get it done. If there is reason to believe the day may be shortened due to xyz variables, take the easy out and back to Emmons first. I really prefer tackling the vertical earlier when fresher when possible.

Comment

Get Emmons done.
          "XYZ" variables can change at any moment.

Comment

Me? I'd do S, D and E in that order and come back over the first 2 or head out down the pass [long rte.] preferably just return over first 2.

Comment

After about one inch of rain Monday --->wet and muddy. The worst is on the Donaldson ridge where water on bedrock can't drain.

Comment

If it's still early and crispy fresh, I'd hurry to E to get the muddiest part done before it warms. So I'm going to suggest E-D-S (the summit of D is actually on a rock on the left part of the trail so yes, it's possible to officially do E before D)

Comment

Working...
                X