High Peaks Parking at HPIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Peaks Parking at HPIC

Any guess what time I need to arrive to get a spot on Saturday, 10/5? Any thoughts if my teenage partners could sleep later if we opt for parking and hiking in the Elk Lake area instead on Macomb instead? (I have the driving time set)

How likely is it that I will get a spot if I get to the HPIC lot at 8:30? If not 8:30, how early do you recommend?

With leaf color about peaked there and Saturday suppose to be nice, Sunday isn't, I'd be there by 7:30 at the latest at either spot suggested.

Comment

6am.
      I last parked at HPIC on the Sunday 9-22 about 7am. I mentioned to the attendant how full the lot was. He replied that it had filled at 615 on Saturday 9-29. The farthest vehicle from HPIC I saw was still there when I left and it was a 1 mile North of South Meadows Road.

Don

Comment

Elk Lake's lot is 20 spaces. There's an overflow lot that requires a (I think) 2 mile road walk... So, I wouldn't risk sleeping in on that one in peak season.

I'd aim to be at the Loj at 7am.

South Meadows Lane may have parking available after 7. Truck trail is a pretty quick walk to the dam.

If they really wanna sleep in, consider Whiteface from the ASRC.

Comment

Mike, come hike Hurricane! It's gorgeous, magnificent views and colors, and the idiots have not yet destroyed the parking.

Also, Dix (or Noonmark and Round) from Round Pond; the idiotic parking problem does not extend to that point, and you can get roadside parking if you need it.

Lots of options; stay away from where the Albany idiots have created a parking problem.

Comment

What about the parking lot at Lake Colden? When does it usually fill up?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
              What about the parking lot at Lake Colden? When does it usually fill up?
              This weekend, Friday night?

Comment

Thank you all, the Scouts need a 10+ mile hike, I and they want a view. They need to plan the hike. (Not planning it is killing me) With everything on their plate, their planning will likely be the 3+ hour car ride. (We've decided, they asked where to go for a 10+ mile hike with a view & I've given them some suggestions - Whiteface, Colden, Porter & Cascade from Marcy Field, Macomb + Grace & Carson or Snowy and the small hill overlooking Indian Lake you hike too from almost across the road)

I think they will pick Colden and we are staying in Minerva so Elk Lake or Snowy involve less driving. Hurricane involves doing Nun-da-go and Weston also for 10, when we did that, they were 13 and stayed up all night, I did 10, they skipped Hurricane and went back with another adult to the cars.

I'm trying to not do the hikes with the most elevation gain which is why RPR from 9N is not a choice. I may have them look at Gothics or Sawteeth from the club, it's mostly easy until it's very steep.

Comment

We gave someone a ride back to their car on a Saturday a few weeks ago. 1 mile north of South Meadows. If the parking lot is full you could drop the boys off and go park at South Meadows. I don't imagine you'd have any trouble hitching a ride to the Loj, particularly if you have a Scout uniform.

Comment

• Mike P.
                    Mike P. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If only the boys could drive yet, They could do the extra mile walk and still catch me before I reached the Indian Falls Cross Over trail.

Not sure of the car situation, if you only have one car, but at least for future reference, look at the Hewitt Pond / Stony Pond / Falls Brook / Green Mountain area right in Minerva. Also some long walks available in the Siamese Ponds, but again the longest and best trips are point-to-point.

Comment

• Mike P.
                    Mike P. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One Car and Hewitt Pond/Stony was a rainy day option. My kids and I have done Peaked Mtn in 13th Lake area and one of the three scouts is my son, we had lots of late July horseflies and he generally wasn't that impressed.) From what I read on Siamese, good pond/lake views of central ADK, somewhat similar to 13th Lake summits are okay, I'd do Snowy and Watch Hill if we stay south of Minerva.

They could sleep in if we did Gore and then found a couple of more miles to walk for ten miles. (I have to check my book, there may be a 10 mile option on Gore, the elevation gain though is about the same as Colden with far less wow factor)

lot was filled by 6:30 this morning, coincidentally, when you wake up three 16 year boys at 5:15, they leave Minerva at 6:30. We arrived at 7:45 and were 1.4 miles away. South Meadow Rd. was parled on both sides as far as we could see. We did Phelps which when adding the road walk gave us over 11.5 miles.

When we left the furthest car was 2.4 miles from HPIC. Saw several tickets on cars parked on 73..

Icy at 10:45 above 3900 feet, early season verglas. lots of rime on trees on Colden and Marcy. Footing on Marcy ealy above Indian Falls must have been pretty ugly.

Counted 36 people on summit rocks not counting three teens I was wkth you opted for a private ledge just off the summit

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
                    Hear the Footsteps commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes it was icy today. On Mt Allen dusting of snow on trees at lookout toward Panther Gorge.

Figured it would be big turnout with peak colors. 2.4 miles line of cars is something else.

Don

• AvalanchePass
                    AvalanchePass commented
                    Editing a comment
                    2.4 miles from HPIC = 1.4 mile line of cars

Just mitigating any fodder for another "overuse" article
                Working...
                X