Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Den Mountain (Whiteface)

Hi all,

Downloaded this gps track from AllTrails.

There is high ground at 2,715 feet which I believe is the summit of Bear Den. But the track shows a spur heading towards an open ridge and high ground at 2,877 feet. Do you know whether that spur is a herd patch or a bushwhack?

Most gps tracks (including the OSM trail) do not show the loop. They proceed to Bear Den counter-clockwise along the loop and then retrace their steps. Do you know whether the continuation over Bear Den along the loop is a marked trail?

Thanks in advance.

Bushwhack I believe. I saw no evidence of a herdpath going over toward 2877'. But... I wasn't looking for one.

You'll get to the summit ridge at around 2650' where there will be a small cairn on a large boulder just after you exit the woods. Walk the narrow herdpath to the southeast until you reach the high point further along at 2715'. I did the out/back then bushwhacked over to Flume Knob on my descent. I didn't see where you would do a loop from 2715' and I haven't found it on any maps either. DEC map of the area does not show a loop nor does MapBuilder. Not saying it isn't there but I didn't see anything once I reached the high point. Maybe if you push through the trees there you find where the trail picks up again but I did not see it.

Now that I read what I've written it appears I am of very little help.

Comment

I have not been over to the high area, but there is a large area of attractive open rock there. It's obvious on satellite, and from the right spot on 86 you can see the open rock. Probably has great views. That kind of spot often attracts people, so it would not be surprising if a faint path developed.

Comment

Originally posted by AvalanchePass View Post
        Hi all,

Downloaded this gps track from AllTrails.

There is high ground at 2,715 feet which I believe is the summit of Bear Den. But the track shows a spur heading towards an open ridge and high ground at 2,877 feet. Do you know whether that spur is a herd patch or a bushwhack?

Most gps tracks (including the OSM trail) do not show the loop. They proceed to Bear Den counter-clockwise along the loop and then retrace their steps. Do you know whether the continuation over Bear Den along the loop is a marked trail?

Thanks in advance.
        The link is referring to a biking loop. Link to ridewithgaps.com. Not a biker here, though I believe there are bike trails nearby. If you try, watch your back so you don’t get run down .

Comment

It's a very clear herd path, although one has to watch for the exits and entrances from patches of open rock. I've used that ridge as the start of a route up Whiteface. There is no problem with bike traffic on the route.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Karl View Post
            It's a very clear herd path, although one has to watch for the exits and entrances from patches of open rock. I've used that ridge as the start of a route up Whiteface. There is no problem with bike traffic on the route.
            Thanks, we'll check it out. Must have been an interesting trip up Whiteface from there.

Yes, no bike traffic on the loop. If you switch to the RWGPS layer on the map above there's an intersection about a 1/2 mile into the hike. That first half mile is a shared biking/hiking trail. But at that point the hiking trail goes left and the biking trail goes right. There's a register there for hiker's to sign in. I'm going to guess there aren't many Whiteface hikes registered

There's a blog post here describing a Bear Den hike. Her map shows the loop up and over the Bear Den summit. But reading her post it seems like she did the out and back on the marked trail.

Thanks all,
            AP

Comment

Working...
            X