Big Slide and HaBaSa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Slide and HaBaSa?

I’m already planning some hikes for next summer. Can anyone here share an opinion on this? Hike over the Brothers to Big Slide and come down the Slide Mountain Brook trail. Hike up the Phelps trail a bit and spend the night. Take the State Range Trail to Haystack, Basin and Saddleback and come back on the Orebed Brook Trail. It didn’t seem like I’d be overdoing it, but I figured I’d ask the “been there, done that” crowd.

Haven't done HaBaSa yet... But, seems like a better plan than going over Yard IMO. Slide Brook is way cool!
    Yard... not so much (That's not a knock on yard). SB descent is awesome.

Comment

HaBaSa loop from JBL is awesome. One of top days while completing our 46. Big Slide prior is great as well, depending on how much gear you'll have of course, vs saving for another day. We treked into JBL, stayed the night, did the peaks loop, then out to Garden. 3.5 miles to JBL has about 700 vertical if I recall. JBL to Haystack seemed quick. Down from Basin to sea level then back up SB....plan on a lot of vertical but an awesome loop. Cliffs are a non-issue going up.

Comment

Sounds like an awesome 2 days. Big Slide via brothers is a must do. If you have done some hiking with full pack before the brothers shouldn't be too bad with it, drop your pack before the summit spur up to the top, take your time heading down to camp.
        In august I packed into the sites just past jbl on a sat am and did habasa and back down orebed to the 5-way intersection close to jbl and camp, followed by bennies slide up LWJ on sunday. definitely one of my favorite weekends. those sites are perfect spot for that loop with options for big slide/marcy/lower range, and you have proximity to potable water right at jbl and the brook for dinner/breakfast. outhouse was even not too bad considering some out there. there was plenty of room for tents at those sites too even on a Saturday (the sites closer to the garden on the way in were much busier, not my cup of instant coffee). the sites higher up further in on the trail to slant rock and haystack were all open, I checked them out on the way up and I think I just saw one tent total between my site and haystack. those looked great, I think at least one or two were even packed bases for tents, but those locales really don't work for a habasa loop
        35er #3133
        46er

"Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds"
        Zarathustra

Comment

Bennie's slide is also fantastic, agree! Great way to visit the Wolf Jaws.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
            HaBaSa loop from JBL is awesome. One of top days while completing our 46. Big Slide prior is great as well, depending on how much gear you'll have of course, vs saving for another day. We treked into JBL, stayed the night, did the peaks loop, then out to Garden. 3.5 miles to JBL has about 700 vertical if I recall. JBL to Haystack seemed quick. Down from Basin to sea level then back up SB....plan on a lot of vertical but an awesome loop. Cliffs are a non-issue going up.
            My overnight hiking bag is about 25lbs without the water bladder. And that is with a bear canister holding about 3 days of freeze dried meals. I hammock camp. I read the thread about next year's camping restrictions.... Let's just say I favor "woodland camo" as a fashion color for my gear.

Homeless camps and their associated mess is fine for our urban areas, but camping in the actual woods? NOPE CAN'T HAVE THAT!

Comment

Not sure how strong of a hiker you are but your plan sounds more than doable and should be an incredible two days if everything goes as planned.

I need HaBaSaGo for my 46 finish. I'm just waiting for the garden to open back up. With that said, I recently saw a photo on facebook showing the new bridge almost totally completed. Does anybody know an actual date for the re-open of the garden parking lot?
              Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul!

Comment

• bikerhiker
                bikerhiker commented
                Editing a comment
                the weekly dec email still says its closed through end of September, and a quick search online shows a news article from sept 7 that says about 3 weeks away, so should be getting close.

From everything I’ve read, it only mentioned being closed during spring and summer. After this weekend, you should be good to go!

Comment

It's a construction project. I wouldn't count on any particular finish date given 3 weeks in advance!
                Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
                2nd round: 16
                SL6r #596
                Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

(Posting this from the other thread)

Official update just in. Slightly edited version:

"The last step is guide rail installation. The contractor who is doing this is supposed to be here tomorrow, Tuesday, to install them. If they show up as scheduled and get it done, the bridge will open Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning. The main bridge contractor has everything ready for the guide rails, and now we are waiting for the guide rail contractor. The Town will check in at the bridge tomorrow morning and then post an update!"

Comment

Just checking in to see if anyone has heard any further updates on whether the garden parking lot will be open for hikers this weekend?

Comment

In case you haven't found out, the Garden's been open for awhile now. I think the shuttle runs this weekend and next (Columbus Day) and then done for the season.

Regarding HaBaSa et al., I'm not a good long distance hiker, so I've done this area staying at JBL. Trips have included BaSa, MaHa, GoArUWj, and always got back for dinner. On one trip we exited out via Yard, BS, and the Brothers. I really liked that exit.
                    Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
                    2nd round: 16
                    SL6r #596
                    Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Working...
                    X