Giant Mnt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant Mnt

This is last minute, sorry, as I plan on hiking this one on Friday with Mom. It was a last minute substitution, and even then I thought I had the planning down. But like usual I checked over OSM for the little tidbits not shown on the regular paper maps and noticed there are no camp sites showing up on the Roaring Brook Trail? My ADK paper map (2015) shows 3 sites. We were planning on the Ridge trail side anyway, but wanted to know the options.
    And I think the parking for these trails was in all that parking ban mess that I haven't been following closely, are the lots still open just no roadside parking? I am hoping things have died down and parking won't be an issue, should be heading in Thur late afternoon and set up camp and hike Giant on Fri. We'll do Cascade & Porter tomorrow (Thur) hoping to hit these busy peaks in the lul this week which is likely the last week I'll be in NY this year. Its been since 1994 & 95 since I've been on em and eager to refresh my memories.
    ADK Black River Chapter
    46/46

33/46 barefoot ;-)
    ~Tristan

I don't know about the parking situation but I doubt you'll have a problem on a Thursday. There are campsites near Roaring Brook Falls, both below and above. There are (is?) one or more campsites above the Giant's Washbowl, on the Ridge Trail.
    Also, you really should get the current ADK map, dated 2019.
    Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
    2nd round: 16
    SL6r #596
    Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

OK good to know. OSM has been great for these kind of details but it apparently needs updated in this area as even my slightly outdated ADK Club map shows this.

It's good to know there are plenty of options, if its later than expected and Mom doesn't want to hike in we may even just stay at Chapel Pond. But I am leaning towards camping near Giant's Washbowl and attempt to see if there is a sunset view from the Nubble. Online sun calculators say it should set between LWJ and Hedgehog... so probably most of the best part of the sunset may be obscured, but we'll see.
      ADK Black River Chapter
      46/46

33/46 barefoot ;-)
      ~Tristan

Comment

• MTVhike
        MTVhike commented
        Editing a comment
        I forgot about the campsite at Chapel Pond.
    Working...
    X