Saddleback clifs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddleback clifs

Is there any other way up saddleback besides the cliff?

Yes. There a handful of ways from the east or you could bushwhack. Cliffs are on the west face of Saddleback. And I believe there's a workaround near the cliffs that has been mentioned in other threads but not sure if that approach is encouraged or not (adding to erosion and such).

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.1...z=14&b=t&a=mba

Comment

There's nothing wrong with asking questions, but the fact that you asked this seems to indicate that you haven't looked at a map, consulted trail guides, or read any trip reports -- in other words, researched the hike. I hope when you do the hike, you will at least have a high peaks map. NOT on your phone or device, which can run out of juice.

Comment

I never use a phone and always carry a map and compass. Every thing I read so far talked about the cliffs of saddleback,that's why I asked

Comment

• MTVhike
          MTVhike commented
          Editing a comment
          To defend rickhart, you said that you always carry a map and compass, but had you looked at the map before you posted? The other trail is clearly there!

The link to the Caltopo maps show some of the alternatives. The Orebed brook trail is probably the most used one.

Comment

The cliffs are on the side facing Basin, and start right from the summit of Saddleback. They take about 5 - 10 minutes to down-climb. If you are ok with exposure and slabs then you'll be fine, if you rock climb they will seem like nothing special. Thus you can hike Saddleback from the col between Gothics and Saddleback and then return that way and never touch the cliffs. But you won't get Basin that way and since many people want to also hike Basin (and maybe Haystack) that day, they have to go up or down the cliffs...

Comment

Originally posted by Ud56 View Post
            Is there any other way up saddleback besides the cliff?
            Sure, just take the regular trail, like anyone else. And please don't worry about the so called 'cliffs'. They are not cliffs, or even clifs (although you may find people snacking on clifs near the summit on the basin side of saddleback). Every day, dozens of people just like you and me miraculously get through the so called 'cliffs' without ropes, harnesses, pitons, avalanche beacons, parachutes, helicopters, or any other life-saving devices. It's just a short scramble like many others in the high peaks. Have fun, you'll love it.

Comment

There are 3 very easy rock climbing moves that need to be made and they have "fridge door handle" foot and hand holds. The easiest way is marked with yellow paint blazes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ud56 View Post
                I never use a phone and always carry a map and compass. Every thing I read so far talked about the cliffs of saddleback,that's why I asked
                Sorry, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. (Looking at it now, my post looks cranky even to me.)
                The cliffs aren't that bad at all -- and I'm not at all a climber. Just needs a bit of care & attention -- but then, everything does, really.
                Have fun.

Comment

Here's a video of the "cliffs" courtesy of another Forum member. Unless you have an overwhelming fear of exposure, there isn't much to worry about.

https://vimeo.com/77180020
                  My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Orono Stewie
                    Orono Stewie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad to see that post again. For shorter hikers with tight hamstrings, there's a move or 2 there that might be exciting. I didn't look anywhere near that lithe or nimble when I made the first one and at my present age and more importantly, in my present condition, I would not be attempting it solo. Kids under 10 have at least 2 advantages. The first is a lack of weight, the second, much more flexibility and they heal faster..... In my 7th decade, I'm happy just to be able to get up and must admit to being less secure than I was in my 50s & 60s. I'd just as soon not be a subject of Tony G's reports or worse!

• FlyFishingandBeer
                    FlyFishingandBeer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Orono Stewie Your comment is completely fair; mine wasn’t. This section of trail can certainly be physically challenging, especially after coming up over Basin and possibly Haystack. I just wanted to clear the air on the “cliffs” part of it.

• Fat Man Hiking
                    Fat Man Hiking commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I remember when my knees used to bend like that.....
                    Barely remember that is....
                    :-)

When my kids were under ten, we stayed with another family for a couple of nights at ADK's OB camp. Four children under 10 scrambled up and down the Saddleback Cliffs with no problem. You can avoid them by coming from other directions but other than a strong fear of heights, there is little to be concerned about with warm weather ups or downs on the cliffs.
                  "The mountains are like a museum where the exhibits change every month" ...Ralph Ryndak, Catskill Explorer

Comment

The Ore Bed trail is a beautiful trail for a Saddlebrook out and back from JBL. I opted for this a few years ago when I started hiking the high peaks again after 20 years. I got psyched out by posts. Now I regret not doing Basin and Saddleback as a loop and doing the “cliffs”. Comfort zones change with experience and fitness. It’s all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X