Basin mountain summit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basin mountain summit?

Quick question: i think i finished my 46 today but i'm a bit curious about the basin summit. The guide book says that the trail goes right over the summit but also mentions a surveyor bolt. I know i'm nitpicking here but is the bolt directly on the summit? Because i didnt see it

Originally posted by eyesofthesouth57 View Post
    Quick question: i think i finished my 46 today but i'm a bit curious about the basin summit. The guide book says that the trail goes right over the summit but also mentions a surveyor bolt. I know i'm nitpicking here but is the bolt directly on the summit? Because i didnt see it
    Pretty much on the highest rock at the summit. An old Colvin Survey Bolt. No view toward Saddleback standing there, obstructed by vegitation.

Comment

Im pretty sure i was standing on it looking at haystack. I wandered around up there looking for the highest point. Just bummed i didnt get a pick of it

Comment

Here is a picture, taken on June 17
        Beat up. Can't make out Colvin's sequential number but should be #21 per Joe Cedar's list in attached.
        https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...out-benchmarks
        Attached Files

Comment

Congrats (minus the bolt)

Always a darn good reason to visit again

Comment

Last question, so i know for next time. Where is it in relation to the big open ledge with all the views of haystack and marcy? If i recall the trail turns east towards addleback from there. My last memory of what i would call the "summit area" was scooting off a large rock with a little board walk at the bottom. By then there were clear views of saddleback.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	basinsummitpossibly.jpg Views:	0 Size:	13.3 KB ID:	499671
              Now i am really curious, lol. i was there on saturday and i didnt notice it, and i look around for bolts/markers/impressions/etc. Is it directly underneath this summit-snoozer? Southwest to haystack is to picture-viewer's right, trail to saddleback to the left.
              This guy was actually pretty nice, a solo who was camped out down by jbl like myself and he was whooped after basin. he came to and we spoke for a bit, he descended back way he came and i over saddleback.
              35er #3133
              46er

"The Kingdom of Heaven is not a place, but a state of mind."
              John Burroughs

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
                Hear the Footsteps commented
                Editing a comment
                I would say yes. That's the area where it is. If you didn't see it, the guy is laying on it. I was thinking of your experience today (I was hiking and having random thoughts) and it popped into my mind "He Was Standing On It." But now I know you weren't.

And the marker is pretty dull and of the old type, dulled, and feathered to the rock. Easy to miss.

Just recently there was a hiker courtesy article in Embark by Spence Morrissey. If he does a rewrite it should be added. "Don't Hog the Summit Marker." or "Touch and Move Away." It happened to a friend of mine on Dix years ago. Someone I helped on a lot of hikes. I wasn't with her that day but someone sat there on old #10 and didn't(wouldn't) move.

And I remember getting to Redfield the first time. Someone 'camped' on the boulder just below the summit. Me and another guy thinking we'd like to share or take our turn. But no wouldn't move. Finally he gave up and left and shortly after me too. Fortunately I've had many more chances, not sure about the other fellow.

Don

• bikerhiker
                bikerhiker commented
                Editing a comment
                I was thinking it was possible I was taking the vid from the marker, but I had sat down there in the same spot for awhile and its definitely possible but I hope I would have seen it, but where the other hiker had been sleeping at I didn't get too close to it at any point, so that's where im guessing it was.
                Don't get me started on "summit etiquette", my biggest pet peeve is people that camp out on the actual summit, basically claiming it as theirs until they are ready to leave, especially on busy summits or busy days, and pretty much oblivious to others time on the mountain or just don't care. I was on Redfield a few weeks ago and a group of 6 or 7 was camped out there on the summit, filling the little clearing with their packs strewn all over sitting on the few rocks in the little clearing by the sign, and I think I even stepped on one lady's bag when I took my few pics while they never moved, even after she asked if I was in her way and I replied "yes" and neither she nor the others ever moved after that clarification, and at least one hiker of that group is also in my summit pic. Unfortunately that is one of the main things I remember Red for.
                One of the summits I was at in the last 2 years I actually asked someone after a few minutes not so kindly to literally get off a summit marker they were sitting on so my daughter could look at it and get a pic with it. (Now I really hope I wasn't sitting on Basin's marker even though it was just me and the snoozer up there.)

• eyesofthesouth57
                eyesofthesouth57 commented
                Editing a comment
                This is great news. I have a few pics that i snapped from right where mr snoozer is crashed! I feel better about the whole thing now. In my head i was looking at it as a near miss for the ages.
                As far as etiquette goes, for my finish on saddleback i was greeted by 5 sleeping college kids (well 4 sleeping and one possibly dead) right on the summit. I stepped right over them and woke at least 3 of them up. They were cool and we all had a good laugh when i said "this is my last one and i get up here and u guys are sleeping all over it!"

Congrats on the 46, I found Basin to be a terrific challenge like it's 2 neighbors. The tough ascent combined with the amazing views, I'm guessing you didn't mind where it ended up
              35er #3133
              46er

"The Kingdom of Heaven is not a place, but a state of mind."
              John Burroughs

Comment

Working...
              X