Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironman road closures Sunday 7/28

https://www.roostadk.com/temporary-r...sunday-july-28

And this in particular from the DEC re: Cascade/Porter which I was planning on hiking tomorrow...

The Lake Placid Ironman will be held on Sunday July 28.
    Does this mean the small lot down the hill and on the opposite side of Rte 73 will be closed as well? Or just the lots on the trailhead side where the race will be running? Anybody driven through there in past years?

I'm guessing it's both sides of the road. The 46ers Trailhead Steward Program usually covers Friday to Sunday but this weekend it's Friday & Saturday only. In addition to the small lot, there is a lot of roadside parking on the 'Pitchoff' side of the road. That roadside was heavily used last Friday and Saturday with almost 300 hikers and 10 dogs between 7 AM & 4 PM on Saturday and nearly 200 on Friday.
    Orono Stewie

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

I was toying with the idea of walking the extra miles from the Olympic Complex via the ski trails but learned access there is going to be limited by the race as well. Once in there you won't be able to get out until after the road reopens.

I've never even considered driving anywhere near this area in the past on race day but tomorrow happens to be the 10-Year Anniversary of my first High Peak hike... to C/P. The sentimental/ nostalgic part of me wants to be there on 7/28 but the more I look at this the more I'm thinking it will be a belated anniversary hike of these two on Tues or Wed instead. Not only is getting in there a problem but getting out will require a major detour if you want to head home before 4 pm or so.

Could go get them from the Marcy Field Airport trail. A longer climb for sure, but no parking problem there.

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Considered that but wanted to hit up the same route as my first High Peak hike. Will probably also be my last time on that trail before the new one opens (whenever that may be). I'm just gonna stay clear on Sunday. It's not life or death that I get there. Maybe Mon, Tues, or Wed instead.
Working...
X