Seward Range

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seward Range

Considering taking a run at all four Sewards on Friday. Has anyone been recently? The most recent updates I've seen were a couple weeks back indicating a muddy, buggy nightmare. Hoping things have improved as it would help my odds of getting all four in a day. Plan is Seymour first, then up Ward brook (never been that way) down the range and back out via Caulkins. I'm particularly concerned with the truck trail heading toward Seymour and herdpath up the North side of Seward.

https://trailsnh.com/peaks/ny/adk46/...0#trip-reports I did that trip in 2016. The herd path up to Seward was a muddy mess. I doubt it is any better at this point.

Comment

• MEssig
      MEssig commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm also considering Marshall/Cliff/Redfield for this outing. I know Cliff is always a mess so I'm mostly weighing the choice on whether or not I can catch a better window for the Sewards. It's supposed to be dry this week with the exception of today.

• bikerhiker
      bikerhiker commented
      Editing a comment
      I just visited cliff/red/marsh this last weekend, and I was pleasantly surprised by cliff. You hear horror stories about the bogs (couch/cliff/etc) and it is never as bad as you should expect (maybe someone drains it before I get there, I don't know, or maybe my legs are longer to stretch between downed logs). Yeah, cliff was a muddy freaking mess just past the cairn that less than 6 bog bridges would make an amazing improvement, but as is, as long as you have trekking poles, you can tight-rope walk right through it without going in. With the sewards last summer I just remember one stretch on seward's north (shorter than cliff's stretch) that was a bog that you wanted poles to help with tight-rope walking and depth-checking prior to advancement (same between Don and Emmons).

• MEssig
      MEssig commented
      Editing a comment
      That's about as glowing a review as I'll probably ever see for Cliff. This and the fact that I just remembered it's Ironman this weekend might keep me to the South. Thanks!

I think I'll be doing this route on Sunday. Guess we will find out!

Comment

• MEssig
      MEssig commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll try to report back my findings before then. I've decided to go for it unless I see something out of left field.

• MEssig
      MEssig commented
      Editing a comment
      I was able to complete this route yesterday. The whole thing took me just over 12 hours and I spent almost no time on any of the summits. Bugs were tolerable overall but there were a couple stretches where they were more prevalent. I didn't use any repellant and got bit a few times. Comes with the territory. The Blueberry footpath is in great shape and I made it to and up Seymour pretty quickly. Probably pushed it a little too much because I was dragging the rest of the day. The herdpath up Seward wasn't as bad as I expected, goes through some pretty areas, but is still rough in some spots. I went knee deep in mud in the lower section. It's hard for me to say how tough it was because I was struggling and not really because of the trail itself. Despite my struggles I made it up in a little over 2 hours. I met a father and son duo coming down and he said they had left the summit 40 minutes earlier. I was discouraged but it only ended up taking me 20 minutes to make it from that point. Seeing that summit was a very welcome surprise/relief. I don't know if he did it on purpose but it really gave me a boost.
      The Caulkin's Brook herdpath is so much easier and was very welcome after a long day. I persuaded a couple of other groups to descend that way as well. I had also forgotten that the truck trail from Caulkins back to Blueberry is uphill for a good stretch. At that point I didn't care because the surface is in good shape and you don't have to think about your footing like you do on a trail.
Working...
X