Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haystack, Basin, Saddleback

Good morning all,

My girlfriend and I are planning to hike Haystack, basin, and saddleback this coming Thursday and Friday. Our plan is to park at South Meadow on Thursday afternoon, hike into the Howard lean-to, setup camp and sleep, get an early start on Friday for the range, pick up camp, and head back to the car. We want to hike from South Meadow to avoid the obvious plight of the Garden this year. Iíve been to Johns Brook lodge but never from South Meadow. So my question is, how is the trail from South Meadow to the Howard lean-to? Any suggestions for a better itinerary?

Thanks,
    Addison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you planning on tagging the three in that order and then heading back to S. Meadows via the Klondike trail? That actually sounds like a pretty awesome loop. That ~800 feet of elly gain to get back up into the notch at the end of the day is going to feel like 2,000 feet, but you'll probably be on auto pilot by then.

I can't speak for the trail conditions along the Klondike trail right now, but it sounds like a cool plan.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

If you're coming in via Klondike Notch why not check if the JBL lean-tos are available (reservation required)? Closer to your destination of HaBaSa. Saves a half mile of walking in each direction as compared to Howard and you'd know you have a spot if you made a reservation. If you got to a full Howard what is your plan?

Or... if you're looking for free then I guess Howard is the nearest.

Comment

Originally posted by Makwa View Post
        If you're coming in via Klondike Notch why not check if the JBL lean-tos are available (reservation required)? Closer to your destination of HaBaSa. Saves a half mile of walking in each direction as compared to Howard and you'd know you have a spot if you made a reservation. If you got to a full Howard what is your plan?

Or... if you're looking for free then I guess Howard is the nearest.
        So itís not at all the cost that we are worried about, but we hammock camp and would prefer to use the hammocks as opposed to the lean-to for comfort and for avoidance of bugs. Our map shows designated camping in the vicinity of the Howard lean-to. I was unsure if there was just regular camping around Johns Brook lodge.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post
          Are you planning on tagging the three in that order and then heading back to S. Meadows via the Klondike trail? That actually sounds like a pretty awesome loop. That ~800 feet of elly gain to get back up into the notch at the end of the day is going to feel like 2,000 feet, but you'll probably be on auto pilot by then.

I can't speak for the trail conditions along the Klondike trail right now, but it sounds like a cool plan.
          Yeah so our plan would be to tag the three peaks with the goal of going up the saddleback cliffs instead of down, and then heading out. Itís going to be a longgggg trek out for us. We have an option to stay Friday night if weíre too fried but we need to be at a wedding by 130 on Saturday in Utica, so we really want to avoid that conflict if possible lol

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
            FlyFishingandBeer commented
            Editing a comment
            As long as you've taken longer hikes in the past and know what you're in for, you'll be fine. You can always drop your gear and take a quick power nap in the lean-to on your way out if necessary. That last ~3.5 miles will feel like and eternity but at least it will be mostly downhill.
        Working...
        X