Planning solo-backpacking trip- need ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning solo-backpacking trip- need ideas

Hello everyone, I live in Poughkeepsie, NY. I work a LOT and decided to take a short break (for some sanity) and go on a solo backpack/camping trip. I'm thinking 3 nights. I have the gear and experience hiking and camping. I've been looking around in the lower Adirondacks or the Catskills for a nice trip. I don't mind challenging hikes but that's not the goal. The goal is to spend some time in my brain, in the woods and reset . I may not be completely solo, for safety.. but still debating that part.

So some goals for any advice you guys may have:
    • No too too far from poughkeepsie. I'd rather keep the drive under 4 hours.
    • Ideally a hike I can do as a "circle" so I don't need to worry about getting back to the car.
    • July 4- 7 is perfect for me but wondering if it'll be a nightmare of people or if the crowds stick to the campgrounds.
    • I don't need a campfire but I'd like to have the option at least on one-two nights
    • Views aren't super important to me. I just want to be in the woods.
    • Given I'm planning on the short runway, any plans I could adapt could be nice. For example, thinking of making this a slow multi-day: https://www.cnyhiking.com/EscarpmentTrail.htm
    • Being I may be alone it's probably a good idea if I can mix being in the woods with being close-ish to civilization. Maybe somewhere I could have cell service (just in case). Not a huge priority.. it's more about making sure my wife doesn't worry. I can handle myself in the woods pretty well
    Thanks a ton for any advice.

Michael

The Slide mountain loop is a 2-3 day loop
    in the catskills
    You can park in woodland valley and do the Wittenberg Cornell, Slide to Giant Ledge

Comment

Ooh I've been to part of this many many years ago... good one!

Comment

Alternative to woodland valley loop is neversink loop ("the 9"). Requires some routefinding but includes more seclusion.

You may already be familiar given your proximity, but take a look at the mount washington state reservation area in MA. Easy enough to plan out a 20+ mile loop (with a shortish road walk), plus plenty of opportunities for side trips. Lots of nice scenery for a small area. AT will have through hikers; not sure about the rest of the park and crowds, but probably not as bad as catskills. Only an hour from Poughkeepsie.

Comment

Thanks FoulHooked... I know of that area but have never researched it. Taking a look now. This looks super interesting too and allows for some nice customization.

Comment

mdaubman, what did you end up doing for the holiday? Of note, DSettahr just posted a fantastic (and typical of dsettahr, very detailed) report of a recent trip to the area I suggested on our sister forum (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=27195). Got me wanting to plan another outing over there.

Comment

Working...
            X