Unmarked trails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unmarked trails

Does anyone know where I can get accurate and Detailed descriptions of the trails?

If you are referring to the “unmarked trails” in the high peaks simply get the newest version of the ADK Mtn Club map and guidebook. You can find them both here
    https://www.adk.org/product-category...g-guides-maps/
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

• Ud56
      Ud56 commented
      Editing a comment
      Adk Jack, I was parked next to you Sat. I saw the license plate. I did colden. Real muddy up there.Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Caltopo.com using the Mapbuilder Topo layer. The indicated trails are routable, which means you can highlight them and the highlight locks to the trail. Then you can save the route you have drawn and export it as a gpx file and get it into a GPS or phone. You may have to register (free) in which case you can save any maps you create.

Comment

Here... https://www.adk.org/product/high-peaks-trails/

I would recommend the guidebook and map for anybody thinking of setting foot on any trail in the Adirondacks.

I assume you are asking about the "trailless" peaks as you work on your 46? They all have herdpaths that are pretty easy to follow. But not knowing the level of detail you think you need please let us know what your concerns are. Are you anxious about traveling on those herdpaths? I remember I was when I first started hiking but after doing a few my fear quickly dissipated. Quite frankly, many are just as defined as many of the marked trails.

Comment

• ndru
        ndru commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd argue that some of the herd paths are even *more* well-defined than some of the lesser-used marked trails. Astonishing really.

• Ud56
        Ud56 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am a little hesitant since I've never hiked one yet.

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        Understandable. We've all been there.

Which one are you thinking of starting with? One like Esther is virtually impossible to deviate from. Maybe get your feet wet there.

Originally posted by Makwa View Post
      Are you anxious about traveling on those herdpaths? I remember I was when I first started hiking but after doing a few my fear quickly dissipated. Quite frankly, many are just as defined as many of the marked trails.
      Until Winter...

Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
        Until Winter...
        Last winter even some of the marked trails were not visible. The markers were buried and there was very little hiker traffic. No signs at all of a treadway. Multiple seams through the woods all looked like feasible choices.

Comment

Working...
        X