Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Mile challenge and questions

Here is a Challenge for you.....

I have three scouts who have to plan a 10 mile hike. (at this point, they have not looked at maps or guide books yet)

Here are the challenges:

Group is 4 boys 15-17, two dads who walked 18 miles on Cape Cod two weeks ago, the boys did 20, one dad who was a bit sore (knee) when we did Rooster Comb a coupel of falls ago, one scout twisted his ankle on a leaf covered rock.ur over

The boys who's father is not going said Algonquin. He is not part of the planning, it was a wish, his Dad's last 4K was Wrights in 2016.

I'll pour over the books and maps in the next day or so.

Options so far are

Hopkins where other two Dads go up from 73, the boys go from 9N
    Algonquin with two Dad, going up to Avalanche Lake as their destination, if they get to Algonquin jct first, they go up just enough to get view over frees

I will look at Going up Macomb and maybe adding one of the peaks formerly known as little Dixes, Less fit Dads just go as far up Macomb Slide as they can to get views.
    Snowy (May have to add a mile or two hike once we get down)
    Something on Northville trail, if we can get in a smaller summit view.

We are staying in Minerva

What time do you think I need to be at the Loj to park at the HPIC lot? I'll look her some more, I suspect there is a link to the DEC list of trails they prefer we stay off? How high is the monorail. From what I see, below 4K probably okay.

Other thoughts?

Could you clarify a few things for us?

-When is the hike supposed to take place? Also is it on a weekday or weekend?

-The boys are supposed to hike all (or most) of the ten miles on their own?

Comment

It would be this weekend, Saturday June 1st. Thinking I need to be at the HPIC by 8:00 or is that too late?

Comment

As an update, the boys have done some light texting and Algonquin was picked by the boy who's dad shouldn't do that hike. If they can convince him and the other dad to hike to Avalanche Lake and then just up Algonquin enough to get a view over the trees, that might be okay.

Comment

- If you get to the Loj at 8AM and there's no parking available - don't fret. You could still park at South Meadow and hike to Avalanche Lake. From South Meadow via Marcy Truck trail > Marcy Dam > Avalanche Lake.

- Avalanche Pass / Lake itself may be too strenuous for the guy that you don't think should be climbing mountains.

-Also Avalanche Pass was a mess as of recently (and still may be)...

-You may be better off holding off for a few weeks on this one.

Comment

It's a joint issue not heart issue, He did okay on Rooster Comb, knees a little sore and he's done ten mile hikes. The guy who walked 18 miles on the Cape Cod Rail Trail would join him & they are just waiting for us so no hurry. Did the truck road when we did Phelps last June, generally, not a fan but road walks aren't any better.

Comment

Sounds like these scouts are working on the Hiking Merit Badge. Very good!

Not sure if they are looking for additional options, but a out-and-back hike from the St. Hubert's parking lot (Ausable Club Rd) to Sawteeth would satisfy the ten mile goal. The road walk is quite easy, so not a problem for the adult with bad joints. Two adults could wait at the Lower Ausable Lake dam while the rest of the group summits Sawteeth. This option is a shorter drive from Minerva.

If the road walk does not interest them, then there is also the West River Trail that apparels the river that they could take to the dam.
            https://www.summitpost.org/west-rive...ondacks/233488

Comment

Originally posted by dwgsp View Post
              Sounds like these scouts are working on the Hiking Merit Badge. Very good!

Not sure if they are looking for additional options, but a out-and-back hike from the St. Hubert's parking lot (Ausable Club Rd) to Sawteeth would satisfy the ten mile goal. The road walk is quite easy, so not a problem for the adult with bad joints. Two adults could wait at the Lower Ausable Lake dam while the rest of the group summits Sawteeth. This option is a shorter drive from Minerva.

If the road walk does not interest them, then there is also the West River Trail that apparels the river that they could take to the dam.
              https://www.summitpost.org/west-rive...ondacks/233488
              We may do that in the fall. They have been to Rainbow Falls a few years ago too. I thought we may have encountered a little bit of snow had we done it this weekend. We could also do one or two of the view points overlooking the lake on the other side like Fish Hawk Cliff.

The boys arrived in Minerva at 9:45 and 12:15. They did not wake up early enough to get to the Loj early enough. We opted for Vanderwhacker and had they been up to it, we would have done the Ledges on the Hudson hike also to make it to 10. The black flies were brutal and one of the boys decided he did not want breakfast and only got up about 80% of Vanderwhacker.

We discussed what would have happened had we done the Algonquin trip, the importance of eating something, even if it had to have been candy and how we would have got a message to the others. We had a discussion also on better planning and that sometimes you have to fail to reach a summit. I've learned much more when I failed to bring vital gear and had to turn around, how much rain will make stream crossings dangerous or impassable and most of us the first time we went out in November or December failed to plan for the 4:00 sunset.

Comment

Working...
              X