LWJ and UWJ from AMR/Wedge Brook Trail, Jan. 14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LWJ and UWJ from AMR/Wedge Brook Trail, Jan. 14

Good morning, fellow winter hikers. Monday, January 14, 2019, We are planning to hike Lower Wolf Jaw (and Upper Wolf Jaw depending on conditions/energy level) from AMR. I was unsuccessful searching the forum for winter trip report(s) I remember reading about this area in the last 4-5 yrs. Current plan is below. I would welcome any comments on E. Ausable River crossing, crux points, tricky intersections, recent trail conditions, etc.

Based on studying Open Street Maps (Thanks Trail Boss) the current plan is: Lake Road to River Cross Over Trail, to West River Trail, to Wedge Brook Trail, to LWJ. If early enough on LWJ and energy/conditions are good we will take W.A.White Trail to Range Trail to UWJ. ( I have looked at the multiple intersections in WJ notch per Trail Boss recent post in "High Peaks Proof Reading Exercise", Thank you again : ) Return is by Wolf Jaws Notch Cut off trail to Wedge Brook Trail to AMR, out the way we came in.

We have completed 15 winter peaks over three seasons. This is our first outing this season, so we will be taking it easy.' Looking forward to welcoming our college-aged daughter on her second/third winter high peak.

Kind regards to all. Thanks for your replies, in advance.
    46/46, 13/46w "I only went out for a walk, and concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." John Muir

The Wolfjaws should be a preferred destination Saturday given the wind chill in the forecast for Saturday and the trail packed down. The good snowfall this past week should cover the ice.

The AMR signage is very good. Green with white lettering. You'll see a lot of AMR signage on the trip to LWJ.

The name of the bridge over the Ausable is the Canyon Bridge. There is signage that refers to the Canyon Bridge.

I recall the junction of Wedge Brook Trail with Wolfjaw Notch Cutoff trail is marked with an AMR sign. That junction is below the height of land of the notch.

Don

Comment

• KV Streamer
      KV Streamer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for those details, Don. We've added notes to our map. : )

Sounds like fun!

>Bring the map with you in some reliable form. I have been through WJ Notch from all directions many times, but it's still surprisingly hard to remember that bizarre trail layout.

>As you probably know, the trail up to and back down from UWJ is extraordinarily rough in terms of rock scrambling challenges; it may be one of the roughest stretches of trail in the High Peaks. Good traction and careful travel will be required on that stretch. Allow time for that.

Enjoy the hike!

Comment

• KV Streamer
      KV Streamer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, TCD. We have print-outs of the map, with additional enlarged printed map of notch area. Thanks also for the reminder of the extra time needed for the steep section going up to and back from UWJ--that reminder will factor into our decision about going for the second peak or not. 'much appreciated!

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      "As you probably know, the trail up to and back down from UWJ is extraordinarily rough in terms of rock scrambling challenges; it may be one of the roughest stretches of trail in the High Peaks."

I'll say!!!
      That stretch of trail kicked my a## so hard last Summer.

Originally posted by KV Streamer View Post
    ...the current plan is:
    Lake Road to River Cross Over Trail,
    to West River Trail,
    to Wedge Brook Trail,
    to LWJ.

W.A.White Trail to Range Trail to UWJ.
    Return is by Wolf Jaws Notch Cut off trail to Wedge Brook Trail to AMR, out the way we came in.
    I have no doubt you will successfully navigate your chosen route. Only tip I have to offer is that not all trails are marked with signs indicating their names. In fact, some have no name ... and I invented them, for OpenStreetMap, so people like yourself can describe a route without having to say long-winded things like 'along that nameless trail that cuts through the notch and the other one that runs over from the Lake Road'.

You won't find trail signs marked with these names (so don't bother looking for them):
    • River Crossover Trail - There's a sign, next to the footbridge over Gill Brook, indicating the trail lead to the Wolf Jaws.
    • Wolf Jaws Notch Cutoff Trail - I believe the sign at the western end of this trail indicates it leads to the Ausable Club/AMR.

As far as footbridges go, the Canyon Bridge is an impressive bit of design and construction. It looks sturdy enough to support a car (just not wide enough)! Be sure to pause at the east end of the bridge and read the commemorative plaque.

Good luck!
    Looking for Views!

Comment

• mastergrasshopper
      mastergrasshopper commented
      Editing a comment
      Canyon bridge
      one of the few to survive Irene

• KV Streamer
      KV Streamer commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are especially useful clarifications about what names do not appear in signage. Many Thanks!

At 7:30 AM yesterday (Saturday ) No sign-ins for WJs. That was confirmed with no footprints on bridge. When we returned at 4:30 we saw a couple of footprints on bridge. Colvin and Blake trails are perfect however. We saw ~30 people and 1/2 continued to Blake. Trails very well packed. A couple of footprints at Elk Pass. Not sure if they went all the way up.

Comment

'Quick follow up and thank you to all. On Monday, Jan. 14, We made it to summit of Lower Wolf Jaw. Thank you for info on signs/map hints--we were able to navigate with confidence. Trails were packed out nicely. Only a little ice in spots on portion of W.A. White trail leading to LWJ summit. Some good butt sliding on the return. First time for us going up the Wedge Brook trail--lovely open woods. If the camp site has water in summer, it would be a sweet destination. Did find the West River trail hillier than expected. And the Canyon bridge is an amazing engineering tribute to the Harris'. Only saw one other person on trail at the end of the day who had done Armstrong/upper/lower Wolf Jaw. Enjoy the snow forecast for this weekend!
      46/46, 13/46w "I only went out for a walk, and concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." John Muir

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
        Hear the Footsteps commented
        Editing a comment
        There is a water source for that camping spot, there is a brook (I suppose Wedge Brook) that parallels the trail located in-between the trail and the mountain.

• KV Streamer
        KV Streamer commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I could see where the water would flow--just didn't know if it goes "dry" (underground) in July/August like some water sources
    Working...
    X