South Meadow camping ?'s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Meadow camping ?'s

I tried searching but didn't really come up with much.

-How many campsites are there in South Meadow, and how poplular is it? Basically I'm wondering how likely I am to find a site if I come up mid Sat morning in Oct.

-Any water nearby for pumping, or bring water?

-No fires?

-Can I take a shower at the Loj?

Any other reviews or pertinent info would be appreciated. Also, if there are any other free car camping areas very convenient to the high peaks are that'd be cool to know.

Thanks, folks.

I usually just get there late and pitch a tent and crash out. I have seen people leave thier tents set up while they are gone hiking, but I would never do that-- I don't have that much faith in my fellow humans. There is water for pumping down the truck trail past the gate near the sign in register, I have never pumped there. No fires, and the sites are first come first serve. There are many late arrivals at night, and don't expect quiet hours, even though most people follow the be kind and quiet rule. If all the sites are taken, which I haven't seen this season, you are S.O.L. and need to go somewhere else. I don't know if you can use the showers at the loj campground without paying to stay, but I have heard that you can.
    set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul...T.A.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftRightLeft View Post
      I tried searching but didn't really come up with much.

-How many campsites are there in South Meadow, and how poplular is it? Basically I'm wondering how likely I am to find a site if I come up mid Sat morning in Oct.

-Any water nearby for pumping, or bring water?

-No fires?

-Can I take a shower at the Loj?

Any other reviews or pertinent info would be appreciated. Also, if there are any other free car camping areas very convenient to the high peaks are that'd be cool to know.

Thanks, folks.
      There are somewhere between 8 and 10 sites at South Meadow at which to camp in. Some campsites have a small pull-off for your vehicle, but most require just pulling to the side. There is a medium-sized parking lot at the end of the road for more parking if needed.

There is water nearby. At the end of the parking area there is a trailhead that leads to Klondike Notch/John's Brook Lodge/Big Slide area. That trail has a bridge that crosses South Meadow Brook from which you may filter/purify water. Its not still water, but not a rushing river either. But it will be fine.

No fires. Eastern High Peaks regulations.

You may shower at the High Peaks Information Center located on the ADK Loj's property. There are two coin-operated showers there, but I can't remember what they cost. Call the Loj. You may have to pay a parking fee or you may not.

There is 'free' camping near Giant, along 73, as well as near Round Pound. Also look on the map at Chapel Pond and the Cascade Lakes, both of which are also located along 73.

Comment

In addition to the spots at the end of the road, there are a few places along the road with a trail leading in to a designated campsite. There are also a number of designated campsights near the van-ho trail trailhead. No water around these other sites.

I have left my tent there while I hiked. Quite a few times. over several days.

I for one, will not drink straight from stream at the end of the road. (I do from many others)

at least one of the designated campsites down, to the right of the parking lot, is relatively close to the brook. There are several places to get water. On the trail to Johns Brook (100 feet in), near the old dam, if at those campsites, straight to the brook, and just past the register on the Damn Marcy Truck Trail. Which one depends on where you camp.
        Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

The van hovenburg th is usually the spot that is open when all the other sites are full. People don't know there are campsites in there. There is even a privy.
          set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul...T.A.

Comment

Originally posted by hillman1 View Post
            The van hovenburg th is usually the spot that is open when all the other sites are full. People don't know there are campsites in there. There is even a privy.

Good to know...thanks
            ADK 46-R #6750W
            CL-50 - #51
            CATSKILLS- 9/39
            NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Hillman,
              where exactly are the sites at the beginning of the van ho.

I just called the lodge for a tent site on 7/30 and they are all booked up.

Thanks,Tim

Comment

Originally posted by bridgeman View Post
                Hillman,
                where exactly are the sites at the beginning of the van ho.

I just called the lodge for a tent site on 7/30 and they are all booked up.

Thanks,Tim
                Not the beginning of the Van Ho trail, but the trail to Van Ho from the South Meadows road. Immediately on the right. Half a dozen or so. Water is not that close.

Comment

Thanks Pete. How far above or below the register?

Comment

Probably before the register. Close enough that you can see the road from some of the sites.

Comment

Thanks Pete. Appreciate the information

Comment

Working...
                      X