Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all, I joined the forum a few months ago but realized I had not gone through the "tell us about yourself" initiation. My wife and I are part-time residents in Keene since 2018 with a view to being there full-time in a few years. We enjoy the outdoors and use every chance we can to do some hiking. We're definitely newbies and have spent the last year teaching and training ourselves to be prepared and educated hikers. The forum has been a great help in that regard, as has joining ADK and a lot of reading. We've set a goal to climb the 46, but only when we're ready - however long that takes. We've started small - Cobble Hill, Owls' Head, Mt. Jo, Baxter and Big Crow this past summer, learning and adjusting as we went along. Planning on stepping up to Van Hoevenberg, Snow, Rooster Comb and Hurricane this summer, as well as a few non-peak hikes like Clements Pond and Roaring Brook/Giant's Washbowl and then possibly starting our 46 with Cascade/Porter in late fall. Thanks for everyone's contributions to this forum - it's a great resource! If anyone has any suggestions for other intermediate hikes for us please let me know!

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
      FlyFishingandBeer commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to the forum. Its refreshing to hear from folks who aren't only interested in earning a roster number and are taking time to learn the land and land usage while progressing towards larger goals. Have fun and never be afraid to ask a question here. There's a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum who have hundreds of combined years of ADK outdoor recreation experience between them.

• ADKJack
      ADKJack commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome! There are plenty of non highpeak options in the area and you have already uncovered a lot of them. Several of the ones you listed have already gotten you prepared for the terrain so enjoy all of them.

• bikerhiker
      bikerhiker commented
      Editing a comment
      welcome. beside working on stepping up the summits in length and height, maybe also consider hiking into the areas that are naturally on the way to the high peaks, areas like marcy dam, flowed lands, johns brook valley, au sable lakes/indian head/fish hawk cliffs, and some of the passes are amazingly beautiful destinations all by themselves, often with views of the peaks, and will be a great gauge for your readiness to venture to higher elevations and longer distances. They would make great dayhikes as well as camping trips all by themselves.

• I tried to add a comment to my earlier post (from 2013) and got the message "You are not authorized"
    Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
    2nd round: 16
    SL6r #596
    Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

• Craig
      Craig commented
      Editing a comment
      That is weird behavior. Does it allow you to edit the post?

• MTVhike
      MTVhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Craig, I've been able to edit other posts, so I'm not sure what the reason was (way back in April!).

• Hello everyone. My wife and I had a trip to the Outer Banks cancelled late this summer because of Coronavirus. We decided to do a quick getaway and hike a mountain in the Adirondacks. We hiked Giant and we absolutely loved the experience. A month later after dropping our youngest of at college for her Freshman year we celebrated becoming Empty-Nesters by going back and hiking Cascade and Porter. We had the bug and returned less than a month later to tackle Sawteeth, Pyramid, Gothics, and Armstrong. What an amazing day!

We had done a little hiking out west over the years, but nothing in the Adirondacks. We didn't know that we should have done Rocky Peak when we did Giant, but that's ok. I don't even know if we plan to do them all, but we have really enjoyed what we have done so far. We are day hikers (hotel or Air-BNB required. I have loved reading many posts on sites like this one and when we did our big hike a few weeks ago I felt like I knew the hike because of all the reading I had done.

Jeff and Maura (54 and 53) reside in Rochester (Penfield) NY.

Comment

• Craig
      Craig commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to the forum community. We look forward to your trip reports too!

• MTVhike
      MTVhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't worry about orphaning - by the time I finished, I had climbed Giant 6 times and RPR twice. BTW, RPR is better done as a through hike, which requires some planning.

• Welcome to Granite&Spruce Anonymous. Yup, I see it as an addiction.

Comment

• The last post in this sticky thread was about 11 months ago, which I guess is the internet equivalent of an awkward silence. So I'll break it.
      My name is Tom and I'm from New Jersey. I'm kind of a longtime listener, first-time caller. I've been looking at this and the adkforum for years, but don't post much.

I started coming up to the Adirondacks in 2010, when I first started dating my now-wife. Her family has had a house in Essex County for generations, first built in 1905 by her great-great-grandmother. She has other family sprinkled around the area.

I did my first high peak with my wife's father in 2011. It was Big Slide from the Garden and it was on the descent down to John's Brook that I told him that I would like to ask his daughter to marry me. In the ten years since that first high peak, I've done sixteen more, including Marcy with my mother-in-law last August. I haven't been making the forty-six a top priority over the years, though I think that is about to change. I love the area, mainly for summer sporting interests. I've done Ironman Lake Placid twice, the Lake Placid marathon once, the Adirondack Marathon in Schroon Lake once, and the Wakely Dam Ultra once.

Aside from completing the forty-six, my Adirondack to-do list currently includes through hiking the Northville-Placid Trail and doing a backpacking trip where I enter the trail at Corey's Road and backpack all the way across the ADK High Peaks map, exiting at the Giant/Blueberry Cobbles trailhead on Route 9 in New Russia. I call it "the Great Map Traverse," precise route TBD. I also have visceral, unexplained fixations on both Indian Pass and Panther Gorge, and would like to do some backpacking trips in and around each.

That's about it on me.

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
        FlyFishingandBeer commented
        Editing a comment
        Where there's a traverse, there's bound to be an FKT and/or an ultra. Just a quick couple of simulated routes on Caltopo gave me an average of 50 miles and 15k feet, and that was being conservative with the terrain. Would love to hear more about this idea.

• NJTom
        NJTom commented
        Editing a comment
        100% I'm sure it or something very like it has been done (see, e.g., all the full 46 high peaks in one continuous shot FKTs and attempts).  This of course would be different, since I would be the one doing it.  

Very broad brush, I was thinking five days/four nights:  Enter at Coreys Road. First night sleep at Duck Hole.  Second night sleep around Lake Colden, Third night sleep near John's Brook Lodge or maybe even Wedge Brook.  Fourth night sleep at Giant's Washbowl.   Walk around a bit in between.  The variations are not literally endless, but certainly numerous.  

That's one rough idea.  I have had it in the back of my mind that, in my forty-six quest, I leave Rocky Peak Ridge for the last high peak, and complete my forty-six on this traverse, at the end, descending triumphantly to Route 9 a new man.

• Bunchberry
        Bunchberry commented
        Editing a comment
        I also have a visceral unexplained fixation with Panther Gorge and I have spent 4 nights there. It hasn't helped. I want to go back.
    Working...
    X