Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dix Range Saturday

Hello everyone,

My sister and I are planning to hike the Dix range this upcoming Saturday. I’ve done the range twice from Elk Lake but we currently have the advantage of our parents dropping us off and picking us up.

With this logistical perk in mind I was considering a traverse from round pond to the stone bridge on 73 via the bouquet river. If we wanted to get all 5 peaks in this would mean an out and back to Macomb but the rest of the hike wouldn’t take any step retracing.

My concerns are route finding on the bouquet river trail to grace and any other potential challenges to this approach you all might enlighten me with. Any and all opinions welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which direction do you plan to go?

"...from round pond to the stone bridge on 73..." says you will be going counterclockwise.

"...the bouquet river trail to grace..." says you will be going clockwise.

If you are going counterclockwise, route finding is easy; on the way out, "all roads lead to Rome." Just get to the bottom of the Grace slide, either via the slide or via the very solid path from the Grace / South Dix col, and then just follow the path out to the highway.

If you are going clockwise, search for threads here with extensive detail about the "Bouquet Forks" trail. Going clockwise, there are a couple of "wrong turns" you can make by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post
      Which direction do you plan to go?

"...from round pond to the stone bridge on 73..." says you will be going counterclockwise.

"...the bouquet river trail to grace..." says you will be going clockwise.

If you are going counterclockwise, route finding is easy; on the way out, "all roads lead to Rome." Just get to the bottom of the Grace slide, either via the slide or via the very solid path from the Grace / South Dix col, and then just follow the path out to the highway.

If you are going clockwise, search for threads here with extensive detail about the "Bouquet Forks" trail. Going clockwise, there are a couple of "wrong turns" you can make by accident.
      Clockwise would be the tentative plan. Up the Grace slide and down Dix to round pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Like TCD says.

If you return after climbing Grace it's pretty straight forward. I haven't been on that trail this year but it's popular and I'd have to believe it's an obvious track now after all summers hiking.

Either way you go Macomb is an out and back.

Note that as your walking toward Grace.
        All this is fresh in my mind as I just was just to Grace Mt last week.
        At a place that just a little bit of walking above the low point (col where there's huge boulders).
        You will see a pile of branches just at the point where you make about a 45o turn to start the last steep bit of climbing toward Grace Mt. That's where the route down and around the slide starts. The branches are just to brush out the start of that path and keep people from going the wrong way.

Also to note is that some people have been short-circuiting the return and you may see a path to descend higher up. It'll be just as easy for you to go to the pile of branches to start your descent.

Also as TCD says. There are three ways of paths after you get near the nicest waterfalls. I usually have walked down to the falls and hopped over then followed the path on the East Side out. I haven't been on the West side lately but somewhere there'll be a junction where one branch (must be left) takes you back to the Stone Bridge without crossing again; the other will (must be right) will make you cross the Boquet again. That one will connect with my preferred route..

Don

Comment

This is a thread I found very helpful when I did this route clockwise in July 2019.
          https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...et-forks-trail
          It’s a great hike, but also very dry. The last water going up was on the way up Grace, where the trail crossed a brook just before the Grace slide, and then nothing again until coming down off Dix, I think near the bottom of the Dix slide.
          Enjoy!

Comment

I did this hike a couple years ago (ending with a road walk from round pond trailhead back to the stone bridge) and loved it.

This august again i went from the stone bridge on 73 up the bouquet herdpath and up the great slide. The herdpath at that point was very obvious, and mostly a beautiful comfortable footpath compared to what you might find in the rest of the range. It was easy to follow for the most part, definitely read the linked thread, as mentioned there are still a few junctions of note.
            For whatever reason, this august i again did not cross the river by shoebox falls or other sooner options, and instead we stayed on the south side of the river too far, and rock hopped from south side to north side herdpath a bit further up river towards the swampy open area then did short bushwhack through prickers etc to get to the north side highway of a herdpath, this might be a tougher rock hop now with all the rain since august so definitely consider crossing by the point in the river.
            Also as mentioned, top off water before heading up the slide.
            If you have a dog definitely dont let it swim in or drink out of that nasty stagnant beaver pond along the way. I definitely wouldnt recommend swimming in or drinking out of it yourself either.
            Definitely one of my favorite hikes, with the combination of the bouquet valley, great slide, and range culminating clockwise in the beckhorn and dix.
            "...don't assume you can't do it...we all make mistakes and sometimes fail. Keep working and learning, and be committed to improving fitness, and there is no limit to what you can do." Joe Bogardus
            "I believe it is in our nature to explore, to reach out into the unknown. The only true failure would be not to explore at all." Ernest Shackleton

Comment

Working...
            X