Leanto Pin Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leanto Pin Map

Thanks to LeanTo Rescue for this map. Click 'L2 Locations' to see the map.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapSerie...c1d8c8d4d95b57
    Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
    Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO - Views And Brews

That is quite an informative website. thanks for sharing it, Tom. I had not heard of it before.
    That sounds like a terrible idea.... What time?

Comment

The status of Slant Rock is planned. I thought that was redone.
      Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
      ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bunchberry View Post
        The status of Slant Rock is planned. I thought that was redone.
        I'm not a member, ask them.

CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

Nice effort- I am particularly liking that they are working to include former lean-tos that have been removed.

A few things I noticed while perusing the map; in no particular order:
          • All of the Paul Smith's College Easement Lean-tos are missing.
          • Marcy Dam only currently has a single lean-to on the east shore (the map shows 2).
          • The Phelps Brook Lean-to is located on the east side of Phelps Brook, not the west side as shown.
          • The former "Calamity #2" lean-to is missing at Flowed Lands.
          • The former "Caribou Lean-to" is missing from the north end of Lake Colden.
          • I believe that there was once a lean-to on Avalanche Lake (not 100% sure on this).
          • I know both Lake Colden and Marcy Dam formerly had substantially more lean-tos than are located at either site today. I've seen one map dating from 1979 that shows 7 lean-tos at Marcy Dam and 12 lean-tos at Lake Colden (good luck figuring out where they were all located, though).
          • The former Avalanche Camp #2 lean-to is missing (and I think I heard once that there was even an Avalanche Camp #3 at one point).
          • The former Upper Twin Brook Lean-to is missing.
          • The former lean-to on the Opalescent River (below Hanging Spear Falls) is missing.
          • The former lean-to that was situated in the Gothics/Saddleback col is missing.
          • The former Bushnell Falls #3 lean-to is missing.
          • The above 1979 map appeared to show a second lean-to near Hogback Brook.
          • The former Phelps Brook Lean-to is missing.
          • The former Wanika Falls Lean-to is missing.
          • The lean-tos labeled "Long Lake NW #1" and "#2" I've always referred to as the "Riverdale #1" and "Riverdale #2" lean-tos, after the former boys camp that previously was situated on that site. I don't know that they actually have any official name but this has seemed as good a name as any. They also appear to be lean-tos that pre-date state acquisition of the property; they are constructed according to a substantially different design than most lean-tos.
          • The above 1979 map appears to show a lean-to north of the Island House Lean-to, on the east shore of Long Lake that no longer exists today.
          • The Northern Lean-tos are missing.
          • A 1920 trail map of the High Peaks shows a lean-to north of the Lilian Brook Lean-to, on the Hunter's Pass trail (although this may be an error, as the Slide Brook Lean-to is missing on this same map).
          • Older guidebooks make reference to a "Latham Pond Lean-to," but I've never been able to ascertain if this actually existed. There is a well-built stone fireplace hidden in the woods near Cold River #3 that I always wonder if it once had an associated lean-to.
          • The former lean-to on the north side of Whiteface Mountain is missing.
          • The former lean-to on the south shore of Copperas Pond is missing.
          • The former lean-to on the eastern trail up Hurricane Mountain (near where the observer's cabin stood) is missing.
          • Pharaoh Lake #1 originally had a paired lean-to adjacent to it.
          • There was also formerly a lean-to maybe a tenth of a mile east of Pharaoh Lake #2.
          • Pharaoh Lake #5 (Watch Rock) originally had a second lean-to located a bit further out on the tip of the peninsula.
          • The Crab Pond Lean-to is missing. (I should probably state here for clarity that this is a joke.)
          • The former lean-to at Lost Pond is missing.
          • Berrymill Pond is definitely not original (since the old lean-to was torn apart and a new one built nearby only a few years ago) but the work was not done by Lean2Rescue so I wouldn't blame them for not listing it as "done" on their map.
          • There was originally a second lean-to on Berrymill Pond on the peninsula to the south of the lean-to that still stands.
          • I believe that there was once a third lean-to in the Tongue Mountain Range but my memory is hazy on where I heard/read this.
          • "Debar Mountian" is misspelled.
          • St. Regis Mountain had a lean-to at one point located somewhere close to the observer's cabin.
          • I believe that there was originally at least 1 lean-to (possibly 2) located roadside, where 28N crosses the Boreas River (there's still 2 designated tent sites there today).
          • There used to be a lean-to in what is now the Sentinel Range Wilderness in South Notch. Another lean-to still exists that is on private property on the lower (west) end of the South Notch Trail, but I believe is no longer available for public use.
          • A 1940 map published by the ADK shows a lean-to somewhere along the former trail to North Notch, also in the Sentinel Range Wilderness.
          • The same 1940 trail map shows a second lean-to on the Jackrabbit Trail, west of the Haystack/McKenzie height of land.
          • Loch Bonnie is missing. Not sure if it would be appropriate to call it a lean-to that still exists... it's technically true but no one in their right mind would willingly camp in it.
          • The former Whitney Lake Lean-to is missing.
          • "Newcomb Lake #1" is actually called "Fish Rock." "Newcomb Lake #2" is actually called "Ward Pond Brook."
          • The former Salmon Lake Lean-to is missing.
          • An old map of the former Red Horse Trail in the Five Ponds Wilderness (1919) shows a lean-to on "Pettis Pond," just east of Crooked Lake. This body of water is unnamed on modern day maps (but is the pond NE of Crooked Lake and due north of Summmit Pond).
          • The former Trombley Landing #2 lean-to is missing.
          • The Palmer Brook Lean-to is missing.
          • The former Cedar Pond Lean-to is missing in the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness.
          • The former East Pond Lean-to is missing, also in the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness.
          • The former Miami River Lean-to is missing (although this is no longer State Land).
          • Mason Lake had at least 1 lean-to at one point, based on a photo from the '20s.
          • All of the lean-tos at Tioga Point Campground on Raquette Lake are missing.
          • All of the lean-tos at Alger Island Campground on Fourth Lake are missing.
          • I do know that Fish Creek campground at one point had some lean-tos.
          • This one is purely speculative: There's a big stone fireplace on the trail up Goodnow Mountain, of the sort common at particularly old lean-tos. Given that may of the earliest lean-tos that were built by the state were on the fire tower peaks I have often wondered if there was once a lean-to here. Not sure this would be included on the L2R map since this is not state land, though (nor is it easement).

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
            Nice effort- I am particularly liking that they are working to include former lean-tos that have been removed.
            As I said before, I'm not a member, ask them.

CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

I recently stumbled across a Conservation Department publication from 1966 titled "Public Use of the Forest Preserve." Interestingly, it includes instructions on how the public can get permission from the DEC to build their own lean-tos on State Land! But more relevantly, it includes a list of lean-tos that were in existence on state land in the ADKs at that time.

Accordingly, here's a few additional "no longer existing" lean-tos that are missing from the L2R map:
              • Former lean-to on the north shore of Willy Lake (called Willys Lake on the USGS map) in what is now the Five Ponds Wilderness.
              • Former lean-to on the north bank of Sucker Brook located "2 miles west of Shallow Lake" in what is now the Pigeon Lake Wilderness.
              • Former lean-to at Blackfoot Pond in what is now the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness.
              • Former lean-to at the "junction of brooks 2 miles northeast of Copper Lake." This is pretty vague, but I'd surmise it was somewhere near the trail between Middle Settlement and Lost Lakes in what is now the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness.
              • Three former lean-tos on Prospect Mountain- 2 located "near summit," and a 3rd located at a "trail junction just below summit."
              • Three lean-tos on Lake George are listed, but the guide indicates that they are all day use only: Black Mountain Point, Dollar Island, O'Dell Island. Black Mountain Point does not currently have a lean-to (just a picnic shelter). I'm not sure about Dollar Island or O'Dell Island.
              • Former lean-to on the trail up the south side of Whiteface Mountain, from Lake Placid. I think this was a different lean-to than the present lean-to located at Whiteface Brook, as the publication states that the lean-to was located "one mile from the summit," and the Whiteface Brook Lean-to is approximately 2.2 miles form the summit. The 1957 USGS topo map does show a structure located much further up the trail along Whiteface Brook than the present day shelter, but does not indicate what type of building it is.
              • Former lean-to on the summit of Owl's Head Mountain, adjacent to the fire tower, in what is now the Sargent Ponds Wild Forest
              • Former lean-to on the outlet of Hewitt Pond, in what is now the Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest.
              • In addition to the Hogback Lean-to, there was another lean-to located along the Phelps Trail, "1,000 feet" beyond Johns Brook Lodge (when hiking uphill towards Mt. Marcy). The 1979 USGS topo map shows 2 shelters near this location but they are depicted as being on private property. EDIT: I just realized that this former lean-to is mentioned in my list above.
              • I discussed the Lake Colden lean-tos above. This guide however makes reference to a lean-to on Cold Brook near the Lake Colden ranger station that I've never seen mentioned anywhere else. I think that this is a different shelter from the Caribou Lean-to (which was also located on the north end of Lake Colden and which I also mentioned above), as that is also listed separately in the guide.
              • Former lean-to on the outlet of Dix Pond, on the trail from Elk Lake to Dix Mountain. It's possible that this is a reference to the Lillian Brook Lean-to, which is not on the outlet of Dix Pond but is located close enough to Dix Pond that there could be some confusion here.
              • The guide references 3 lean-tos on the "west end Big Island" on Raquette Lake. I think the present day lean-to located on the east end of the island may have been relocated from the west end- or a replacement built after one of the 3 lean-tos on the west end was removed.
              • Former lean-to on the summit of West Mountain, adjacent to the fire tower, in what is now the Pigeon Lake Wilderness.
              • The guide references 2 lean-tos on Middle Saranac Lake at the "foot of the Ampersand Mountain Trail." The L2R map only shows one former lean-to at this location.
              • There is an entry for a lean-to on "the east shore of the larger pond" at Black Brook Ponds in the Schroon Lake region. There are ponds with this name located southeast of Hammond Pond, but they are not on state land. It's possible that this area was once state owned (land swap? constitutional amendment?). Black Brook does also eventually pass into what is now the Hammond Pond Wild Forest, and there is a decently sized beaver pond located within the Forest Preserve that might've been where the lean-to was located.
              • Former lean-to on Mud Pond. The guide does not specify which Mud Pond except to list it as being in the "Schroon Lake Region." My guess since that it is listed along with a bunch of the Pharaoh Lake region lean-tos that it's the Mud Pond in the present day Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, located west of Putnam Pond and south of Clear Pond.
              • Former lean-to on the Kunjamuk Trail at "Ross Clearing." I am not sure where Ross Clearing is (or was) located, and google has been no help here. Presumably, since the lean-to is listed as being in the Speculator Region, this is somewhere along the trail that parallels the Kunjamuk River in the present day Siamese Ponds Wilderness.
              • The guide references 2 lean-tos at Mud Lake in what is now the West Canada Lakes Wilderness. There's one described that is very obviously the present day West Canada Creek Lean-to. The second is described as being "at the easterly end on a sand beach near West Canada Lake." I think this might be a misprint- it sounds very much like the South Lake Lean-to (which is also listed).
              The guide also references a lean-to at "Rices Point" on Middle Saranac Lake, but I can't find any other references to where this might be. There's no such labeled location on any map I can find. Might this be the present day lean-to on Hungry Bay?

One other addendum to my list above: The McMartin Lean-to is listed on the L2R map as "original," but I believe that his lean-to was relocated at some point in the last 20-30 years. I'm fairly certain that it was once on the opposite side of the Opalescent River (on the same side as the Opalescent Lean-to).

The guide also lists Catskills Lean-tos. While this is outside the purview of the L2R map, I did notice few former lean-tos listed that I found interesting and decided to share as others here might be interested to learn of them as well:
              • Former lean-to on the east branch of the Neversink in what is now the Slide Mountain Wilderness (this one I think is well known in the community but I'm including it here for completeness).
              • Former lean-to located on Hunter Brook on the Spruceton Trail up Hunter Mountain. This was a separate lean-to than the John Robb Lean-to (which is also listed), located much closer to the trailhead.
              • Former lean-to located in Cold Spring Hollow on the "Pakatakan-Dry Brook Ridge-Beaverkill Trail." Presumably this one was located somewhere on Dry Brook Ridge adjacent to the hollow- either directly on the ridge or on side trail that dropped down into the hollow. The USGS topo map does show an old trail that descends into the hollow and ends at the upper end of Huckleberry Brook Road. This is a seperate lean-to from the Dry Brook Ridge Lean-to (which still exists), which is also list.
              • Former second Rider Hollow Lean-to (and I believe I've read elsewhere that Rider Hollow at one point had 3 lean-tos?)
              • Former lean-to on the Roaring Kill, which drains north out of Mink Hollow. I think this is was a separate lean-to than the one in Mink Hollow, as it is describe as being much further downstream and closer to the road.
              • Former lean-to on Cathedral Brook, which drains the north slopes of Belleayre Mountain. It sounds like this was a different lean-to than either of the 2 lean-tos that currently exist near the summit of Belleayre.
              • Former lean-to on Giant Ledge. (I know this one is also pretty well known in the community, again listing it for the sake of completeness.)
              • Former lean-to on Plateau Mountain, along the Devil's Path.
              Last edited by DSettahr; 11-22-2022, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure that this Lean2 Rescue map was intended as the definitive history of Adirondack lean-tos, but I'll see what I can add based on my memory (while it's still there) and some older maps.

A few things I noticed while perusing the map; in no particular order:
                • All of the Paul Smith's College Easement Lean-tos are missing.
                • Marcy Dam only currently has a single lean-to on the east shore (the map shows 2).
                • The Phelps Brook Lean-to is located on the east side of Phelps Brook, not the west side as shown.
                • The former "Calamity #2" lean-to is missing at Flowed Lands.
                • The former "Caribou Lean-to" is missing from the north end of Lake Colden.
                • I believe that there was once a lean-to on Avalanche Lake (not 100% sure on this). According to my father, there was a lean-to near the current designated campsite at Avalanche Lake that was destoyed by a 1940s slide on Mt. Colden.
                • I know both Lake Colden and Marcy Dam formerly had substantially more lean-tos than are located at either site today. I've seen one map dating from 1979 that shows 7 lean-tos at Marcy Dam and 12 lean-tos at Lake Colden (good luck figuring out where they were all located, though). At one time I believe there were as many as 14 lean-tos between Caribou at the north end and the north end of Flowed Lands. There were four near the dam and another six along the left bank of the Opalescent River. This included one large enough to sleep about 20!
                • The former Avalanche Camp Forum lean-to is missing (and I think I heard once that there was even an Avalanche Camp Blogs at one point).
                • The former Upper Twin Brook Lean-to is missing.
                • The former lean-to on the Opalescent River (below Hanging Spear Falls) is missing.
                • The former lean-to that was situated in the Gothics/Saddleback col is missing.
                • The former Bushnell Falls Blogs lean-to is missing.
                • The above 1979 map appeared to show a second lean-to near Hogback Brook. There was a lean-to about 1/4-mile above JBL that was right on Johns Brook, so maybe that looks like a second one at Hogback?
                • The former Phelps Brook Lean-to is missing.
                • The former Wanika Falls Lean-to is missing.
                • The lean-tos labeled "Long Lake NW #1" and "#2" I've always referred to as the "Riverdale #1" and "Riverdale #2" lean-tos, after the former boys camp that previously was situated on that site. I don't know that they actually have any official name but this has seemed as good a name as any. They also appear to be lean-tos that pre-date state acquisition of the property; they are constructed according to a substantially different design than most lean-tos.
                • The above 1979 map appears to show a lean-to north of the Island House Lean-to, on the east shore of Long Lake that no longer exists today.
                • The Northern Lean-tos are missing.
                • A 1920 trail map of the High Peaks shows a lean-to north of the Lilian Brook Lean-to, on the Hunter's Pass trail (although this may be an error, as the Slide Brook Lean-to is missing on this same map).
                • Older guidebooks make reference to a "Latham Pond Lean-to," but I've never been able to ascertain if this actually existed. There is a well-built stone fireplace hidden in the woods near Cold River Blogs that I always wonder if it once had an associated lean-to. Yes, that lean-to did exist, but on my one visit to the site in 1984 there was already little evidence of it.
                • The former lean-to on the north side of Whiteface Mountain is missing.
                • The former lean-to on the south shore of Copperas Pond is missing.
                • The former lean-to on the eastern trail up Hurricane Mountain (near where the observer's cabin stood) is missing.
                • Pharaoh Lake Home originally had a paired lean-to adjacent to it.
                • There was also formerly a lean-to maybe a tenth of a mile east of Pharaoh Lake Forum
                • Pharaoh Lake Uncategorized Groups (Watch Rock) originally had a second lean-to located a bit further out on the tip of the peninsula.
                • The Crab Pond Lean-to is missing. (I should probably state here for clarity that this is a joke.)
                • The former lean-to at Lost Pond is missing.
                • Berrymill Pond is definitely not original (since the old lean-to was torn apart and a new one built nearby only a few years ago) but the work was not done by Lean2Rescue so I wouldn't blame them for not listing it as "done" on their map.
                • There was originally a second lean-to on Berrymill Pond on the peninsula to the south of the lean-to that still stands.
                • I believe that there was once a third lean-to in the Tongue Mountain Range but my memory is hazy on where I heard/read this.
                • "Debar Mountian" is misspelled.
                • St. Regis Mountain had a lean-to at one point located somewhere close to the observer's cabin.
                • I believe that there was originally at least 1 lean-to (possibly 2) located roadside, where 28N crosses the Boreas River (there's still 2 designated tent sites there today).
                • There used to be a lean-to in what is now the Sentinel Range Wilderness in South Notch. Another lean-to still exists that is on private property on the lower (west) end of the South Notch Trail, but I believe is no longer available for public use.
                • A 1940 map published by the ADK shows a lean-to somewhere along the former trail to North Notch, also in the Sentinel Range Wilderness. Yes, there was a lean-to near the top of North Notch.
                • The same 1940 trail map shows a second lean-to on the Jackrabbit Trail, west of the Haystack/McKenzie height of land. Yes, there was a lean-to about about 1/3 of the ascent to the top of the pass. I've looked, but can't find any trace of it.
                • Loch Bonnie is missing. Not sure if it would be appropriate to call it a lean-to that still exists... it's technically true but no one in their right mind would willingly camp in it.
                • The former Whitney Lake Lean-to is missing.
                • "Newcomb Lake #1" is actually called "Fish Rock." "Newcomb Lake #2" is actually called "Ward Pond Brook."
                • The former Salmon Lake Lean-to is missing.
                • An old map of the former Red Horse Trail in the Five Ponds Wilderness (1919) shows a lean-to on "Pettis Pond," just east of Crooked Lake. This body of water is unnamed on modern day maps (but is the pond NE of Crooked Lake and due north of Summmit Pond).
                • The former Trombley Landing Forum lean-to is missing.
                • The Palmer Brook Lean-to is missing.
                • The former Cedar Pond Lean-to is missing in the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness.
                • The former East Pond Lean-to is missing, also in the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness.
                • The former Miami River Lean-to is missing (although this is no longer State Land).
                • Mason Lake had at least 1 lean-to at one point, based on a photo from the '20s.
                • All of the lean-tos at Tioga Point Campground on Raquette Lake are missing.
                • All of the lean-tos at Alger Island Campground on Fourth Lake are missing.
                • I do know that Fish Creek campground at one point had some lean-tos.
                • This one is purely speculative: There's a big stone fireplace on the trail up Goodnow Mountain, of the sort common at particularly old lean-tos. Given that may of the earliest lean-tos that were built by the state were on the fire tower peaks I have often wondered if there was once a lean-to here. Not sure this would be included on the L2R map since this is not state land, though (nor is it easement).

Comment

Accordingly, here's a few additional "no longer existing" lean-tos that are missing from the L2R map: plus a few more comments
                  • Former lean-to on the north shore of Willy Lake (called Willys Lake on the USGS map) in what is now the Five Ponds Wilderness.
                  • Former lean-to on the north bank of Sucker Brook located "2 miles west of Shallow Lake" in what is now the Pigeon Lake Wilderness.
                  • Former lean-to at Blackfoot Pond in what is now the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness.
                  • Former lean-to at the "junction of brooks 2 miles northeast of Copper Lake." This is pretty vague, but I'd surmise it was somewhere near the trail between Middle Settlement and Lost Lakes in what is now the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness.
                  • Three former lean-tos on Prospect Mountain- 2 located "near summit," and a 3rd located at a "trail junction just below summit."
                  • Three lean-tos on Lake George are listed, but the guide indicates that they are all day use only: Black Mountain Point, Dollar Island, O'Dell Island. Black Mountain Point does not currently have a lean-to (just a picnic shelter). I'm not sure about Dollar Island or O'Dell Island.
                  • Former lean-to on the trail up the south side of Whiteface Mountain, from Lake Placid. I think this was a different lean-to than the present lean-to located at Whiteface Brook, as the publication states that the lean-to was located "one mile from the summit," and the Whiteface Brook Lean-to is approximately 2.2 miles form the summit. The 1957 USGS topo map does show a structure located much further up the trail along Whiteface Brook than the present day shelter, but does not indicate what type of building it is. On that series of USGS maps, all lean-tos were shown with the same symbol as dwelling houses - apparently because they were for human habitation. There was a lean-to that high up on Whiteface. Its site is mentioned in the 1962 ADK Guide as being 1-1/2 miles below the summit and having burned down in the winter of 1957-58 with the current lean-to replacing it in 1958.
                  • Former lean-to on the summit of Owl's Head Mountain, adjacent to the fire tower, in what is now the Sargent Ponds Wild Forest
                  • Former lean-to on the outlet of Hewitt Pond, in what is now the Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest.
                  • In addition to the Hogback Lean-to, there was another lean-to located along the Phelps Trail, "1,000 feet" beyond Johns Brook Lodge (when hiking uphill towards Mt. Marcy). The 1979 USGS topo map shows 2 shelters near this location but they are depicted as being on private property. EDIT: I just realized that this former lean-to is mentioned in my list above.
                  • I discussed the Lake Colden lean-tos above. This guide however makes reference to a lean-to on Cold Brook near the Lake Colden ranger station that I've never seen mentioned anywhere else. I think that this is a different shelter from the Caribou Lean-to (which was also located on the north end of Lake Colden and which I also mentioned above), as that is also listed separately in the guide. Yes, there was a lean-to up Cold Brook near the cabin. It had been enclosed with beds in it by 1974, and i spent many nights there that summer when I was serving as an ADK Ridge Runner.
                  • Former lean-to on the outlet of Dix Pond, on the trail from Elk Lake to Dix Mountain. It's possible that this is a reference to the Lillian Brook Lean-to, which is not on the outlet of Dix Pond but is located close enough to Dix Pond that there could be some confusion here.
                  • The guide references 3 lean-tos on the "west end Big Island" on Raquette Lake. I think the present day lean-to located on the east end of the island may have been relocated from the west end- or a replacement built after one of the 3 lean-tos on the west end was removed.
                  • Former lean-to on the summit of West Mountain, adjacent to the fire tower, in what is now the Pigeon Lake Wilderness.
                  • The guide references 2 lean-tos on Middle Saranac Lake at the "foot of the Ampersand Mountain Trail." The L2R map only shows one former lean-to at this location.
                  • There is an entry for a lean-to on "the east shore of the larger pond" at Black Brook Ponds in the Schroon Lake region. There are ponds with this name located southeast of Hammond Pond, but they are not on state land. It's possible that this area was once state owned (land swap? constitutional amendment?). Black Brook does also eventually pass into what is now the Hammond Pond Wild Forest, and there is a decently sized beaver pond located within the Forest Preserve that might've been where the lean-to was located.
                  • Former lean-to on Mud Pond. The guide does not specify which Mud Pond except to list it as being in the "Schroon Lake Region." My guess since that it is listed along with a bunch of the Pharaoh Lake region lean-tos that it's the Mud Pond in the present day Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, located west of Putnam Pond and south of Clear Pond.
                  • Former lean-to on the Kunjamuk Trail at "Ross Clearing." I am not sure where Ross Clearing is (or was) located, and google has been no help here. Presumably, since the lean-to is listed as being in the Speculator Region, this is somewhere along the trail that parallels the Kunjamuk River in the present day Siamese Ponds Wilderness.
                  • The guide references 2 lean-tos at Mud Lake in what is now the West Canada Lakes Wilderness. There's one described that is very obviously the present day West Canada Creek Lean-to. The second is described as being "at the easterly end on a sand beach near West Canada Lake." I think this might be a misprint- it sounds very much like the South Lake Lean-to (which is also listed).
                  The guide also references a lean-to at "Rices Point" on Middle Saranac Lake, but I can't find any other references to where this might be. There's no such labeled location on any map I can find. Might this be the present day lean-to on Hungry Bay? , Very likely. That lean-to is on the site where Martha Reben spent many summers to cure from TB. Her long-time guide was Fred Rice.

One other addendum to my list above: The McMartin Lean-to is listed on the L2R map as "original," but I believe that his lean-to was relocated at some point in the last 20-30 years. I'm fairly certain that it was once on the opposite side of the Opalescent River (on the same side as the Opalescent Lean-to). Yes, the original McMartin Lean-to (after Duncan, not Barbara) was on the left side of the Opalescent River. Below that was the "double-wide" lean-to, and then another one close to Flowed Lands. Somehow the name "Winacomac"sticks in my mind for that one.
                  zz0.oyi1yqu7d4szz

Comment

Thanks for adding that information, Tony. 👍

Originally posted by tgoodwin View Post
                    I'm not sure that this Lean2 Rescue map was intended as the definitive history of Adirondack lean-tos, but I'll see what I can add based on my memory (while it's still there) and some older maps.​
                    ​I agree that probably wasn't the original intent but it seems as good a starting point as any for trying to put something like a definitive map history together. I have my own interactive map that I've been using to keep track of my status as I work towards staying in them all, but it's just a point for each existing lean-to. The L2R map has a lot more historical information to begin with. Plus who better to host such a document than the Lean2Rescue folks?

I believe that there was once a lean-to on Avalanche Lake (not 100% sure on this). According to my father, there was a lean-to near the current designated campsite at Avalanche Lake that was destoyed by a 1940s slide on Mt. Colden.
                    I know I've seen a photo of it... and I want to say it was posted either here or on ADKForum within the past year or so. I did some googling to try to find it without any successful results, though.

The same 1940 trail map shows a second lean-to on the Jackrabbit Trail, west of the Haystack/McKenzie height of land. Yes, there was a lean-to about about 1/3 of the ascent to the top of the pass. I've looked, but can't find any trace of it.
                    I took a stroll up the Jackrabbit Trail from Saranac Lake earlier this past summer and was able to locate the old lean-to site. The fire place still stands- and it was a big one. The site was pretty poorly drained and muddy, through- not the nicest for camping. The Placid Lean-to on the opposite side of the height of land is a much nicer spot than I think this ever was. I unfortunately didn't think to grab a GPS point, but from what I recall, the location of this lean-to as depicted on the 1957 USGS topo is fairly accurate.

It also occurs to me that these two comments below might be in reference to the same lean-to. Or they could both be mistakes- in the 1966 publication, there is no mention of the Lillian Brook lean-to.

• A 1920 trail map of the High Peaks shows a lean-to north of the Lilian Brook Lean-to, on the Hunter's Pass trail (although this may be an error, as the Slide Brook Lean-to is missing on this same map).​
                    • Former lean-to on the outlet of Dix Pond, on the trail from Elk Lake to Dix Mountain. It's possible that this is a reference to the Lillian Brook Lean-to, which is not on the outlet of Dix Pond but is located close enough to Dix Pond that there could be some confusion here.​
                    Last edited by DSettahr; 11-23-2022, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                      Thanks for adding that information, Tony. 👍

​I agree that probably wasn't the original intent but it seems as good a starting point as any for trying to put something like a definitive map history together. I have my own interactive map that I've been using to keep track of my status as I work towards staying in them all, but it's just a point for each existing lean-to. The L2R map has a lot more historical information to begin with. Plus who better to host such a document than the Lean2Rescue folks?

I know I've seen a photo of it... and I want to say it was posted either here or on ADKForum within the past year or so. I did some googling to try to find it without any successful results, though.

I took a stroll up the Jackrabbit Trail from Saranac Lake earlier this past summer and was able to locate the old lean-to site. The fire place still stands- and it was a big one. The site was pretty poorly drained and muddy, through- not the nicest for camping. The Placid Lean-to on the opposite side of the height of land is a much nicer spot than I think this ever was. I unfortunately didn't think to grab a GPS point, but from what I recall, the location of this lean-to as depicted on the 1957 USGS topo is fairly accurate.

It also occurs to me that these two comments below might be in reference to the same lean-to. Or they could both be mistakes- in the 1966 publication, there is no mention of the Lillian Brook lean-to.

The 1962 Guide references two places on the Hunters Pass Trail where there are fireplaces at a campsite. Perhaps one of them was once for a lean-to.

Comment

There is a well-established but illegal campsite (non-designated and in violation of the 150 foot rule) along the Hunter's Pass trail that I've wondered about the history of. At a glance it is fairly obvious that it's been around for a while.

Hunter's Pass gets relatively little use and is one of my favorite spots in the High Peaks for solitude. There's a stretch of the trail on the way up into the pass where it levels off for a bit in a beautiful stand of evergreens with an open glade-like understory filled with ferns. I've often thought that it would be a nice spot for a tent site or two that would likely avoid the overuse and abuse that many other High Peaks tent sites receive. Or it could even just be a nice spot to find your own site off trail.

Comment

Cool map. This thread has turned into what is probably one of the best lists out there as well with all of the additions.

Comment

Its a cool site but admittedly needs updating. We wrapped up the Flowed Lands and Opalescent lean-tos earlier this year but neither indicate a rescued status on the map.
                            My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2638.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	519871 Wow! I imported them and put them in Basecamp!

Comment

Working...
                              X