AMR trailhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMR trailhead

I don’t hike along 73 too often so I don’t know the area that well. If the AMR lot is full, what are the closest legal places to park. Is there overflow or another TH within a short distance or across the road? Is this lot still partial capacity and is it full by sunrise this time of year?

The Roaring Brook trailhead for Giant is directly across the street from the AMR lot. That is rather small though. There are other legal pull-offs up the hill on Rte 73 going toward the Northway. They would require a quarter to half mile walk along the highway though. Rather dangerous in my opinion if you are arriving early morning, and especially so in low light. If you are forced to go that route be extra careful. People have also been parking at the Hopkins trailhead along Rte 73 if all of those spots are full. That requires a mile or so walk to the AMR.

Others can speak to recent trends in the area but the parking restrictions are still in effect at the AMR lot. Not a whole lot of spaces available.
    Last edited by Makwa; 11-12-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Where are you planning to hike?
      Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
      2nd round: 16
      SL6r #596
      Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Originally posted by MTVhike View Post
        Where are you planning to hike?
        Dial Nippletop Colvin Blake group.

Comment

• MTVhike
          MTVhike commented
          Editing a comment
          Gravestone Brook herdpath!

With the warm weather this past weekend, I'm sure parking lots were full early. I'm not sure what to expect for the next few weekends, but the forecast continues to look good even if the temperatures are more seasonal.

There is also a house near the Hopkins/Mossy Cascade trailhead (on the opposite side of the road) that has had a hiker parking sign up. I think they were charging $20 per car (it may have been less than that though).
        ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Lot fullness depends on weekend vs. weekday, and on the weather. Not quite as busy now as it was in summer.

Walking route 73 is dangerous. It's irresponsible that Albany has created a situation here many people want to do this.

Learn the Gravestone Brook route, and go from Round Pond.

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...reconnaissance

More overflow parking there; same distance; 300' less vertical; and the "bushwhack" is fairly well traveled. With your speed and experience you should have no trouble going that way, and you avoid the cluster at AMR.

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post
            Lot fullness depends on weekend vs. weekday, and on the weather. Not quite as busy now as it was in summer.

Walking route 73 is dangerous. It's irresponsible that Albany has created a situation here many people want to do this.

Learn the Gravestone Brook route, and go from Round Pond.

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...reconnaissance

More overflow parking there; same distance; 300' less vertical; and the "bushwhack" is fairly well traveled. With your speed and experience you should have no trouble going that way, and you avoid the cluster at AMR.
            I’ll keep that route in mind if I don’t get there soon. I may wait til next year. I wouldn’t mind knocking out sawteeth with the other 4. It would be a nice brutal challenge but I need more daylight than we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
              With the warm weather this past weekend, I'm sure parking lots were full early. I'm not sure what to expect for the next few weekends, but the forecast continues to look good even if the temperatures are more seasonal.

There is also a house near the Hopkins/Mossy Cascade trailhead (on the opposite side of the road) that has had a hiker parking sign up. I think they were charging $20 per car (it may have been less than that though).
              Not sure, but it might be cheaper to hire a taxi!
              Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
              Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
              Past President Catskill 3500 Club
              CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

another bushwhack
                Dial direct as used by speed cats doing speed records.
                pioneered by PinPin, for the Dix marathon. used by Random Scooter
                reinvestigated by Neil and MG for project full deck.
                this route has been used by last few 46 speed record runs.
                Anyways I like and used to use Gravestone though I had my own route that went more towards Bear Den up through beautiful birch forest.
                the direct route goes up the wide SE flank of Dial. you aim for Dial / Dial col a long flat ridge.
                start is at 950 / 960 along Dix trail. you go to old lean to site cross Boquet. hike up to 950m and cross small steam that is run out from Pinky slide.
                If you come to next stream with deep pool open rock where you leap across a flume and then come to tight squeeze between two rocks you have gone too far.
                You are aimed to 850M where three tribs join for Boquet. After that its straight up NE to Dial col. Any small moss cliffs go to left .a bit west.
                Last edited by mastergrasshopper; 11-15-2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Yes yes! All three of these ways are pretty. I have been up both "branches" of Gravestone (to NP - Bear Den col and to Bear Den - Dial col); very nice woods! I have not been all the way up Dial direct, but I did go part way up a couple years ago to see if there was any rock worth rock climbing (there wasn't). Very nice area, travel is pretty good.

So for the OP, there are several options; any of these is probably more fun than fighting with the mess at AMR.

Comment

• mastergrasshopper
                    mastergrasshopper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey if you look at Satellite there is an old slide on a line directly down from summit. but it is low angle / overgrown. more of a horizontal slide now. It is worth a one time visit for really cool close up views of " finger slides " on Dix. it is directly across from " pinky " finger slide ( one of my favorites ).
                    I like direct route best to connect Dix range with DNCB and even onto Saw lower range to get 14 high peaks.
                Working...
                X