No announcement yet.

FKT Thru Hike Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the weather nix their chances for a record?

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe they are going for the overall record. If they miss that then they will still set a women's thru-hike FKT being the first two of their sex to finish/ record a time.

https://fastestknowntime.com/route/a...-high-peaks-ny

• Learning The Trails
      Learning The Trails commented
      Editing a comment
      Makwa, correct. They are going for the overall record. But, just by finishing they will set the women's record.
      As of yesterday afternoon, it didn't sound like the record was out of reach. We will find out today if they break it.

• Hear the Footsteps
      Hear the Footsteps commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Makwa; Learning the Trails. Bettering from June this year, no less.

Crunch Time Update:

Day 7: Lucky 7: The goal is in sight! 39/46

The end of this amazing journey is almost in reach! This morning, Katie and Bethany will only have 7 peaks remaining. Last night they camped at the end of the Boquet Trail and were planning an early start for Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge. Big Slide is next, followed by a bushwhack to Cascade and Porter. After that is complete, it’s the long road hike to Whiteface and Esther, where they will finish their amazing effort.

Katie, Bethany, and their families have been overwhelmed with the amount of support and interest in their attempt. Your comments and encouragement have been a very big part of getting them to their goal. They send along their sincere gratitude.

You can support their efforts to raise suicide awareness and prevention here: https://afsp.donordrive.com/participant/2344764

Comment

This morning's update... The overall is clearly out of the question. But, Bethany & Katie will be the first women to complete a thru hike and doing so will set the women's FKT.

Good morning friends!
      At 9 a.m. this morning, Bethany and Katie Rhodes checked in from Whiteface Landing, about to begin their ascent of the final two High Peaks. At around 2 p.m., they'll finish at the Marble trailhead/Atmospheric Sciences Research Center having set a unsupported women's FKT of just over 7 days (better yet, over 175 miles and 64,000 feet of elevation gain).

Comment

Bethany and Katie finished at an imprsssive 7 days 4 hours and 50 minutes.
        They are the first known women to thru hike all 46 ADK High Peaks.

Comment

• tcd
          tcd commented
          Editing a comment
          Impressive! Nice job, ladies.

Nice to see people having fun. I hope they eat a few really big meals, and sleep late for a few days!

Update - this is the 3rd best time overall

Comment

When does hiking and running separate?
          Congratulations for the job well done...impressive.

Comment

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            Right.... so off their route the entire Santas, Allen, S&N, Giant & RPR, and Big Slide could be done that way. Then throw in the last pushes on Wright, Phelps, Tabletop, Colden, C&R, Gray, Skylight, Haystack, Colvin & Blake, and Macomb as well.

If my math is correct (and my list complete) it looks like just about 80 miles of the 175 could be done without hauling the full packs.

Thanks Don.

• Hear the Footsteps
            Hear the Footsteps commented
            Editing a comment
            Makwa. Add Emmons, a bit of Donaldson, Sawteeth, Seymour(I've done that on a 4-pack).

Actually with Sewards, It would bring in strategy. Is it faster better to do Sewards by out and back with small pack from the Truck Trail or take the big pack up Calkins Brook to jct just below Donaldson and only have to pack over Seward. My first trip to Sewards I didn't know about Calkins and did it as an out and back. And campers at Blueberry do it that way all the time.

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahhh... yes. So add another 7.5 miles or so to the total... approx 87.5 of the 175 without full packs.... half.

Originally posted by Old Hunter View Post
          When does hiking and running separate?
          If they did the mileage at a steady pace, with 6 hours of rest/sleep a night, their average speed was 1.3 mph. So, I'd call it hiking.

But from what I've read, there was running and walking, so that's just a rough guess.

Aside from the times they dropped them, running with a full pack is pretty tough!
          Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
          Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
          Past President Catskill 3500 Club
          CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Thanks for the updates, LTT! I'm definitely not a member of the fastest known anything club, except maybe maneuvering drumsticks around a drum set, but that was an impressive accomplishment by the ladies!

Comment

Working...
            X