Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rmxfiles
    replied
    When I was on Dial on Friday there was a young couple who asked me if people were allowed to camp on the summit and I told them the rule about no camping above 4000 and 150 feet away from trail. Just glad they asked instead of just doing it like some people

Leave a comment:

• Old Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by gebby View Post
    I shared this on several of the Facebook hiking groups and figured I would share it here. So sad. I was a non-supporter for permits, but I think I might be changing my mind. https://hikingforwildness.com/how-mu...nImf0dKOWJUguA
    That article from the steward made today's paper in Binghamton and Rochester. [More awareness is good].

Leave a comment:

• tcd
    commented on 's reply
    It was, but they could have brought the existing Cascade trail up to the same level much more easily and with a far smaller investment of time and resources.

• MTVhike
    commented on 's reply
    I like your comments, but wasn't the current work on the new Cascade trail partly in response to your last point?

• TrailJedi
    replied
    I think this group knew the rules and didn’t care. Then played dumb when they ran into the steward. I seen a group of teens with a drone on Haystack a few weeks ago and wonder if their the same that this steward seen on Marcy.

Leave a comment:

• Groundpounder
    commented on 's reply
    Wow...I just read the back-comments on this one. You being a vet, you know that there is only one color.....green. I'm not apologizing for others, but I'm sorry that your statement was misconstrued.

Regarding the other stuff, I work for the state (PA). I'm the "end game" of my section (environmental enforcement). Since our inspectors aren't inspecting as often I mostly don't have much to do. However, I log on every single day at start time and stay near my PC at home until closing time. It was only within the last week that I realized the $600 I kept hearing about was for EACH WEEK. I would have pocketed more money to be laid off and collecting unemployment....with the benefit of being able to spend a week in the ADKs without using vacation time. However, I'm glad to not go through all of the frustration and unknowingness that comes with the unemployment system.

• Groundpounder
    commented on 's reply
    The Habs are going down! For the first time in 10 years, my Flyers look to actually have a deep team......AND a goalie

• FlyFishingandBeer
    commented on 's reply
    ADKJack I could accurately be accused of a lot of things, but being racist or aporophobic aren't among them. No worries. It was a probably a bad joke anyway.

• ADKJack
    commented on 's reply
    FlyFishingandBeer So Thanks for filling in the blank, State Employees obviously was not anything that came to mind (my wife is one but has been working the entire time so I guess that kinda explains my lack of understanding)
    I was quite taken aback, obviously, since it certainly seemed out of character for you to make an inference as I obviously mistook. I hope you can understand how I came to my assumption and apologize for casting aspersions.

• FlyFishingandBeer
    commented on 's reply
    Eddie Fournier they got my support until they're done with Crosby & Co.

• Commissionpoint
    commented on 's reply
    Fines need to be significant enough that folks don't view them simply as a "fee" they can pay that allows them to behave as they like.

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    It seems my inferior fill-in-the-blank skills have created a dust-up. Sorry folks.

• Eddie Fournier
    commented on 's reply
    So... how about those Habs, eh?

• Commissionpoint
    commented on 's reply
    I knew that you were not suggesting anything untoward FFB. Im surprised at the turn the tone of the comments on your post took too. Everyone needs to chill, take a deep breath and realize that not everything requires a knee jerk accusatory response.

• FlyFishingandBeer
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, Jack. Couldn't have been further from the mark with that one. Its actually weird that you went there.

State employees. The missing term was state employees. Not all, but MANY. Actually, almost all from some categories.

Edit: before I catch hell for that... DOT/first responders, nice work. You're doing great.

Edit 2:For anyone who wasn’t aware or might possibly willfully have their head in the sand, there’s a global pandemic happening right now which is causing some a-typical economic events and behaviors in the US. Suggesting that the region has seen an influx of people who were fortunate enough to be temporarily cushioned by the Fed’s covid response/CARES funding is neither derogatory nor offensive. It would actually be a solid data point to determine actual usage rates, if there were any feasible way to gather and compile that data.

Furthermore, for those who don’t deal directly with Albany on a daily basis, a lot of state employees have been on paid administrative leave for the past several months, under the guise of “working remotely” when there has been no work available that pertains to them. Again, these people have time on their hands and it would be yet another solid data point to see if their numbers have swelled the trail head usage at all. Don’t like light-hearted jokes about state employees from a former state employee? *shrug*

I’d be shocked if there weren’t research groups out there currently brainstorming ways to compile this exact data for NPS, Bureau of LM, individual state conservation groups, etc. This trend is not unique to NYS.

If anyone else is struggling to appropriately construe my comment and jumped to the conclusion that it was racially charged or somehow denigrating to those who are economically less fortunate, please feel free to drop a line in my inbox.
Working...
X