Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festus
    replied
    The unmarked campsite TCD is talking about is at least 20 minutes beyond where you felt that the herd trail/old logging road petered out (the trail continues but can be hard to follow in years of little use). The legal campsite up on the high rock left of the trail has been around for at least 20 years... The herd trail/logging road does continue to much flatter, bushy terrain and then a nice, unmarked campsite is reached that was used annually by a "men's back to nature" group for at least 15-20 years. They also had a second site way off trail up the South Fork on the large beaver pond area. I've bumped into them many times, usually naked (them, not me) and playing bongos...Great guys, just a little different...

Leave a comment:

• MTVhike
    replied
    I didn't see any campsite, illegal or otherwise on the river front, but shortly before the North Fork herd path petered out, there are two "camp here" signs with arrows, pointing left to a very attractive legal campsite high above the river (and I think that's the one I saw 15 years ago), but no view of the river. There is a nearby rock high above the river but at that point, the river is a big boulder garden.

I thought it was weird that one of the two "camp here" arrow signs oriented so that it would be seen by people coming down the trail (from upriver); I didn't see it until I was returning from my failed attempt to follow upstream toward the Dix trail (which herd path TCD said doesn't exist).

Leave a comment:

• tcd
    replied
    I've been through all the routes in that area; but the guy who is really an expert is MasterGrasshopper; maybe he will add some information here...

>Look up a couple previous threads here on this forum.

>The herd path that goes left has become heavily traveled because it has developed as the most popular route to Grace. When I did Grace in 1985, the accepted route was from Elk Lake, via South Dix. The path from the Boquet Fork trail ended at the large campsite just past the "Rock of Gibraltar" feature. That path did not even reach the base of the slide, and was known as the "Hunter's Herd Path."

>The other path, that continues along the North Fork going NW goes quite a ways, although it has become faint in places. It leads to a very attractive (though probably illegal) river front campsite, and then does peter out shortly after that. (It is possible to continue along the river and travel through the spectacular canyon of the North Fork (100' cliffs, waterfalls, etc.) and eventually reach the Dix trail near Round Mountain, but there is no path. It's a great bushwhack; I've been through there many times in both directions.)

There is in fact a large network of other paths in that valley, which are poorly mapped, unmarked, and can be confusing. I have advocated for years that the state should "take over" that path network, do a bit of maintenance, add some signage, and produce an accurate map. Other people would rather "keep it an adventure area" but my opinion is that that is not reasonable given today's hiker population. My opinion is that there is plenty of adventure to be had off the paths, and we don't want today's hikers getting lost on poorly laid out paths.

Leave a comment:

• MTVhike
    replied
    I was wondering if that herd path continues all the way up to the Dix trail?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hunter
    replied
    Hiked there many times and always thought it a confusing mess of herd paths. Sounds like its worse...of course, without a designated trail/s.

Leave a comment:

• MTVhike
    started a topic Boquet Forks trail(s) question

Boquet Forks trail(s) question

The Boquet Forks trail is the first unmarked trail I hiked, starting in the early 2000s, and I really love it. One of my first hikes up it followed Barbara McMartin's book. I went up the trail, passed Shoebox Falls (I didn't know its name at the time, but was a very popular swimming hole) and came to a point where the trail forks, with one branch going left, crossing the North Fork on it's way (eventually) to Grace (East Dix at the time). The "straight ahead" branch was blocked with logs, but I continued up that way until I got to an occupied campsite. I also found a spot overlooking a lovely swimming hole in the river, with the camper swimming there.

Well, long story short, yesterday, we went up that way for the first time in, say, 15 years. Several changes: Sign-in kiosk for this trail (only one other person signed in, going to Grace). The trail to the left at the fork was much more heavily used. The campsite had a "Camp Here" sign. BUT, I couldn't find the overlook. At the turnoff for the campsite, the trail (now a herd path) continued up along the North Fork, but I couldn't find the overlook before the HP petered out. On the way back, we followed the "High Water Route", thinking it would be easier than rock-hopping across the river and, surprisingly, there is another sigh-in kiosk there.

We saw no hikers along that route, and only one person, sunbathing on the rock overlooking the lower swimming hole. Also, no garbage!

Any info about that area would be appreciated.
Working...
X