Sawteeth to saddleback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sawteeth to saddleback?

Has anyone done Sawteeth to saddleback. I know you got to go up and over pyramid twice and it adds about 4 miles RTH.I've done Algonquin Iroq. and Wright going up and over boundary and algon. To get out. I think I'm in good shape for my age. 64 next month. I'm not a fast hiker but pretty steady. I hike alone. Not by choice but because everyone things I'm crazy for doing this. If anyone has done this from the AMR I'm looking for time it takes. Approx.

How long did it take you to do Algonquin/ Iroquois/ Wright? You should be able to apply that average MPH to Sawteeth/ Saddleback and have it be a pretty good guess.

Comment

• Ud56
      Ud56 commented
      Editing a comment
      It took me 11 hrs and 10 min.

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      OK... so WAI is 10 miles with 4500' ele gain. A little more than an hour per mile. Your SawSa route as planned is just over 15 miles and 5600' ele gain. I'd plan on 12-13 hours or more. Could be less if you walk Lake Road quickly. That's almost half the mileage for the day. 850+ feet of ele gain on the way in and mainly downhill on the way out. Figuring ~8 miles and 4800' ele gain for the "mountain" part of the day puts you around 9-10 hours, then the road walk adds 90 minutes or so in each direction and you come up with about 12-13 hours. Plan for more just in case.

I've done Saddleback as an out-band-back while hiking Sawteeth to the Lower Great Range. It's not a bad add-on, plus you avoid the infamous cliffs if climbing from this direction. On the return trip, since you effectively had to re-climb Gothics, it may make more sense to descend via the Beaver Meadows Trail rather than the trail up to the Sawteeth / Pyramid col.

As for hiking time - that varies wildly from hiker to hiker, so difficult to give an estimate.
    From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

Comment

Working...
    X