Amr parking is a joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amr parking is a joke

When the AMR decided to enforce their easement of parking spots was not because of the pandemic. It's probably something they wanted to do for a long time but didn't have the balls to do it so they blamed it on the pandemic. What's the difference if there are 28 spots or 58 spots for parking.we don't have any contact with the guests. We get out of our car and walk the road to the trail head. We don't go in any buildings. We don't touch snything. Maybe we should hire a suttle so it can drop people off every 15 min. At the parking lot and see how they like that. All I want to do is go hiking but when I drive 3 hrs, 1 way and can't find a parking spot anywhere I get annoyed .

Which direction do you come in from? Northway or from Lake Placid end of 73? There are a few legal pull-offs on Route 73 up the hill from the AMR lot (heading toward the Northway). If you've never come in from that way you might not know they are there. Adds some road walking to your day but there are generally spots available early in the morning. Or at least there used to be when the AMR lot was not so small. Be careful though.

Comment

I come from the north way. I have seen them. Isn't there one right across from the turn off to the AMR parking lot?

Comment

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the Roaring Brook trailhead for Giant. The ones up the hill are just wide pulloffs. Unmarked as far as I can tell driving by at 55 MPH. Room for a bunch of cars in each.

"Welcome to the party pal!" - John McClane.
      Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
      ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Ud56 How about being upset with the state for signing the easement with the deal expressly stating the AMR is responsible for only 28 spots? :( Pandemic or not, the Ausable Club could say as of right now, that's all they will provide forever and be within their legal right to do so!

Comment

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          To be fair... in the mid-70's that was more than enough spots. Who would have thought 10x or more people would be wanting to hike there in the future?

• gebby
          gebby commented
          Editing a comment
          Makwa Agreed. Clearly, people want to be outside and that is a good thing. Hopefully, all those people that are getting out, become advocates for nature. They had been allowing more parking than the easement calls for, for years, but the state should be in negotiations to establish this higher level of parking there that will be guaranteed. That would take some horse trading, but I don't know what the state has to offer. In the midst of a global pandemic, they have bigger things to worry about right now and I'm sure this is of the radar.

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          None of this would be an issue if the new shuttle system was up and running. But that sounds like it is on hold for the foreseeable future.

Not sure what the state would have to offer. Perhaps building a trail from the parking area to Lake Road that circumvents the current route through the main clubhouse area? Don't know where that would go or how it would work, just spit-balling here, but not having crowds of hikers wandering through their property at all hours might be attractive to the Club. Unlimited access for hikers. Those hikers out of sight for Club members. Might be a win-win.

EDIT: a 1-mile long trail from the start of the Stimson trail to Noonmark to the Leach trail to Bear Den at around 1600' elevation would create a bypass around the Club. Have access to Lake Road go that way and another hiker never has to walk through the middle of the Ausable Club grounds.

I totally understand it's their right. It's just frustrating. Maybe the host of the party should be a little more gracious

Comment

• gebby
          gebby commented
          Editing a comment
          I get it's frustrating. I'm sure the Ausable Club feels they have been graciously allowing 2 and 3 X the number of cars that the easement calls for, for years. I hope it gets better for you soon. It's easy for me to say, since I've done my 46.

• Ud56
          Ud56 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for understanding. That's all I want to do.

Three suggestions that may or may not help you, but are sincere in thought: #1, hike during the week. #2, get there early. #3, stay overnight somewhere. book a B&B, camp out a Roaring Brook Falls, round Pond, etc. Again, not meant to be snarky, but helpful.

Comment

• Ud56
          Ud56 commented
          Editing a comment
          No you're fine. I usually get there between 5:30 and 6. Can't stay over because of family circumstances.. Can't go during the week because of work and getting the time off.

They didn't have any issue walking back on their allowance of hiker access to their shuttle system on Lake Road in the early 00's without due cause...

Hopefully they go back to offering full access to that lot though. They could have been under pressure from their members, or even the Town of Keene? No way to know for sure.
        "I want to see mountains again, Gandalf, Mountains!" - Bilbo Baggins

46er #5461

Comment

• moosebeware
          moosebeware commented
          Editing a comment
          I doubt it's pressure from the town of Keene. After all, they pay taxes just like everyone else. They have one of their own in a leadership position at the Adk Council. I know Jack is going to say I'm being unfair and accusatory, but the decision to limit parking comes despite the knowledge that the disease is not likely to be transmitted outdoors. It reeks of opportunism. Let Janeway say otherwise and that they will open it back up.

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          For the sake of argument let's assume the virus is as easily transmitted outside as inside. I will give the benefit of the doubt to them and stipulate that erring on the side of safety was their main motivation to limit parking/ access. Now let's be real... the AMR serves over a dozen different mountains, Indian Head, a handful of waterfalls, back door access to the Dixes, and a bunch of other sites like Cathedral Rocks. There's miles and miles of trails. Unlimited space to spread out. You could have 500 people on that property and have less than 25 people on each trail. I realize that they won't necessarily be evenly distributed but a large crowd in the parking area at the AMR does not automatically translate to a large crowd on the trail you choose or at your destination. I understand their concern but that property isn't like the trail to Cascade where a similar crowd of 500 people would be crammed into a 2-mile space. Or Giant, or Ampersand, or Hurricane, or any other mountain where large crowds in the parking area pretty much guarantees you're running into people in close quarters on the short-ish trails and on the summits. Why such caution exercised at AMR but nowhere else? Private property? But there's an easement. I can't see how they would be responsible for somebody contracting the virus unless they were grossly negligent somehow. Let's hope the decision came from a good place... safety... rather than opportunism. We'll find out at some point. If the lots reopen it was the former. If they don't then it was the latter.

Always have an alternate hike planed ahead of time. If one lot is filled then head to the alternate parking lot. We some times have three hikes we can do in the summer.
        Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
        ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• Ud56
          Ud56 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have been thinking about that. Thanks

Scott Van Laer tweeted this morning that the AMR parking lot was full at 615 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X