Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement from Adirondack 46ers re: COVID-19 -- Note!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CatskillKev View Post
    Please stay off of this little path called the Appalachian Trail.

https://wildeast.appalachiantrail.or...lachian-trail/
    And news from the Pacific Crest Trail... https://www.yahoo.com/news/due-coron...012350752.html

Comment

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought there'd be news, and the first part is expected. The second part, should have known...

And in other news, Graham and Doubletop are absolutely closed to hiking (at this time), message from the care-taker.

And a long-time member of the 3500 Club, at least I remember this person from 25 years ago, is having a fit over it. There are people not understanding the importance of staying home...
    Last edited by CatskillKev; 03-26-2020, 02:40 PM.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Perhaps the grid is an influence here. Not meaning to tease, just more to explain behavior. With peak-bagging, one man's no big deal is another's crisis.

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      CatskillKev It's not like the High Peaks are anyone's "once in a lifetime trip", especially a gridder, but I suspect they are a tiny fraction of the numbers of people that are trying to be out there. ATC says delay AT starts or off the trail. Same on the PCT. Even Nepal is shutting down. Mountains aren't going anywhere.

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      No, gebby, I wasn't referring to your statement. I was referring to my own statement about the person upset with the closing of Graham and Doubletop. I thought that that frustration may have been influenced by the grid possibly. It was just a guess. But it had nothing to do with your statement or the Adirondacks. I felt you knew that we were on the same page, so felt you would know I was talking past your point. Sorry about that. I should have been more clear.

Info from Elk Lake Lodge...

A Message To Our Visitors
    2020 Elk Lake Lodge Season Update

During this difficult time, in the interest of protecting our guests and staff, we have decided to delay the opening of Elk Lake Lodge until July 1st. We realize that our guests look forward to their time with us and that the preserve represents what is so important right now: peace, clean air and water, and a timeless sense of place.

We will be reaching out to those whose reservations have been impacted and will work with you to find alternative dates, with the hope that you will be able to transfer deposits to another time, helping to support Elk Lake as we weather this pandemic.

Comment

From the Lake George Land Conservancy:

A message to you, our Lake George community

The current situation has reminded us all of the importance of the outdoors. These special places offer us fresh air, peace, and a sense of normalcy and calm. For over 30 years, the Lake George Land Conservancy (LGLC) has protected the land that protects the lake and today, thanks to you, this land is providing yet another important service to the community in addition to protecting water quality, habitat, and iconic views. LGLC parks and preserves have been crowded with people seeking the benefit of our protected land.

These unusual times call for all of us to change the ways in which we are used to acting. Normally, we would encourage everyone to come to Lake George to use and enjoy our land. However, due to the nature of the health issue and based on the advice from sources such as the CDC, WHO, and New York Governor’s office, we now offer a different message.

Please enjoy the outdoors, take a walk or hike, and exercise, but do so locally and practice social distancing. The State, local towns and many partner land trusts have wonderful preserves and parks throughout New York, as do other areas. Keep in mind that currently there are very limited services available within the Lake George area. This includes Forest Rangers, who are being used for emergency situations related to COVID-19 throughout the State. Furthermore, many of the LGLC and DEC trails are far from ideal right now, with icy and muddy conditions on most popular trails.

So please, enjoy local, low-risk, and individual outdoor activities for now. If you are currently local to Lake George and do utilize our preserves, avoid crowded parking lots, respect other hikers and keep your distance, and be very aware of trail conditions to minimize risk.

We welcome you to share your experiences with us on Facebook, with the hastags #HikeLakeGeorge and #HikeLocalLG. Together, we will get through these times and all be back on the LGLC trails enjoying the place that we all love.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Sincerely,
      Jamie Brown
      LGLC Executive Director

Comment

No fire tower hikes will be counted toward the Fire Tower Challenge until further notice. This clarifies comments to post #7 above...

Fire Tower Challenge Temporarily Suspended

Notice from the ADK Glens Falls-Saratoga Chapter

As of this morning, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) has closed access to all NYSDEC controlled fire towers. In response and effective immediately, the ADK (Adirondack Mountain Club) Fire Tower Challenge is suspended until further notice. This action was taken by the ADK Glens Falls-Saratoga Chapter, which manages the challenge, in support of New York State’s effort to minimize the spread of COVID-19. Trails remain open, but no one may climb any of the fire towers until this restriction has been lifted. NYSDEC has posted signs at trailheads and on the towers.

As difficult as this decision is, we feel it is necessary to discourage nonessential travel. Hikes of fire tower mountains cannot be applied toward the ADK Fire Tower Challenge during this emergency closure period.

Comment

Some are not getting the message. They simple don’t give a crap, like on Mt Monadnock in NH.

http://northeastexplorer.com/wordpre...-on-monadnock/
          We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
            Hear the Footsteps commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks John,
            And I clicked on "Next Story." There's more … what was up at Tuckerman's Ravine just yesterday.

No, some people are not getting a message. Interestingly, these are the people that I would not even consider avid hikers. They seem to be doing this either for attention, or to stir the pot, or to prove that they can do anything they want, or who knows what. Somebody I recognized from various Facebook groups posted about her trip to the Kaaterskill Falls the other day in a Catskills group. never mind that the trails should have been off-limits in the town of Hunter, but she drove all the way from Glens Falls to visit the falls (upper, and then the Bastian Falls too). In the photos she was seen touching the railing. then they proceeded to visit mount Utsy (not in that post, but seen elsewhere). She works in healthcare, so by default, she is a potential carrier, a lot more so than the rest of us.

She did not take the criticism, which I would not even call shaming, in stride. She even lied that she was working for the state and was in the area. She may have gotten away with it, but then she decided to tag her hiking partner for extra ammunition. That's when it was clear that she was lying as he lacks a car and relies on others for transport... so she was most certainly not in the area for work. Anyway, the post got removed by the admin immediately, but I guess where I was going with this, there are lots of imbeciles who are not taking any of this seriously and will continue to do what they want. And don't tell me that she circumnavigated the park all the way from Glens Falls and never got out of the car. Right. And she has so many lovely trails nearby! That just blows my mind.
          46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

• Bunchberry
            Bunchberry commented
            Editing a comment
            My brother’s son is drove from Ohio to Connecticut and is now driving back. Both parents are doctors. I have no idea why people don’t think the rules apply to them.

I put the breaks on any idea to hike at Mount Greylock yesterday.
          Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
          ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

A doctor describing Covid19. He uses some humor, but I can tell you its serious. He does take a bit of patience, so might not reach the imbeciles, but they are part of his target audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0d59dd-qM

Another thing a lot more than disturbing, is, even if you feel like your research points you into things that might help when things go south, how do you get the doctors to follow what you think might work? With everyone getting sick at the same time, how do you get taken seriously as soon as is good for you? By the time you can't breathe, you're there by yourself. How does anyone even help you? Its some position to be in! Its time to research and memorize some key words to stand a chance, because you're going to be alone. You're not going to have that imagined hand with your hand on your death bed. Lets have a moment of silence for all of the people in this position, past, present and future.
            Last edited by CatskillKev; 03-29-2020, 03:52 PM.
            I might be kidding...

Comment

Maybe more will get the message and its seriousness when they hear that Fauci said today well over 100,000 could die and there could be a million cases!

Comment

• gebby
                gebby commented
                Editing a comment
                So thankful for Fauci and Birx.

Originally posted by Old Hunter View Post
              Maybe more will get the message and its seriousness when they hear that Fauci said today well over 100,000 could die and there could be a million cases!
              I am just hoping that there is ONE PERSON who should get that message!

Quiz: Who is that person?
              8000m 0/14

Comment

• tcd
                tcd commented
                Editing a comment
                Well you cannot possibly mean the person who just wisely extended the Federal Social Distancing Guidelines through the end of April based on expert medical advice...?

Could you possibly mean the person who was called a racist for imposing travel restrictions from China in January?

Not THAT person...?

• nangaparbat
                nangaparbat commented
                Editing a comment
                Sometimes, it takes someone to help a blind man go across the street.

• autochromatica
                autochromatica commented
                Editing a comment
                The President was advised AGAINST shutting down travel to and from China in January, so he made that decision on his own. Had he listened solely to his scientific experts, this would have quickly been worse. Just because they know the science doesn't mean they have all the right answers, no person knows everything.

Originally posted by CatskillKev View Post
              A doctor describing Covid19. He uses some humor, but I can tell you its serious. He does take a bit of patience, so might not reach the imbeciles, but they are part of his target audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0d59dd-qM

Another thing a lot more than disturbing, is, even if you feel like your research points you into things that might help when things go south, how do you get the doctors to follow what you think might work? With everyone getting sick at the same time, how do you get taken seriously as soon as is good for you? By the time you can't breathe, you're there by yourself. How does anyone even help you? Its some position to be in! Its time to research and memorize some key words to stand a chance, because you're going to be alone. You're not going to have that imagined hand with your hand on your death bed. Lets have a moment of silence for all of the people in this position, past, present and future.
              Very interesting video, although I did not need it to appreciate the seriousness of the situation. Honnestly to be able to go hiking you firstly need to be alive.
              We all have a responsability regarding this situation.
              8000m 0/14

Comment

• nangaparbat
                nangaparbat commented
                Editing a comment
                Very scary indeed, NYC is the epicenter of the PLANET at this moment...., Montreal is now Canada hotspot, Municipal authority are starting to think about locking certain neibourhood, although this has not been officially said...

More to note also, Boisbriand is a city on the North shore of Laval/Montreal area, they have a community of about 4000 Hassidic jews who went in early March in NYC to celebrate something....

Now that community is asking the government and the Police to inforce a lockdown! C'est du jamais VU !!! (Never seen before!!!!).
                Lets keep in touch it does good to all of us who are self isolating.

• CatskillKev
                CatskillKev commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, we'll all have to keep in touch. I like breathing, too. Is Neil ok?

• Makwa
                Makwa commented
                Editing a comment
                China had 7 funeral homes and 40 mobile cremators working around the clock for well over a month burning the dead. Crunch just the numbers on the mobile cremators (whose capacity was noted in the article I read) and it would suggest the deaths were 80,000 or more... 25x the reported number.

Then there's the conspiracy theory floating around that about 21 million cell phones disappeared (shut off) in China over the past few months. Implication there being that millions are dead. Not sure how much stock I put in the conspiracy theorists but that number has been reported by several different news outlets including Bloomberg from an article on the impact of the coronavirus on the Chinese cell phone industry. Perhaps there's a sliver of truth in there. But even a sliver would suggest tens or even hundreds of thousands of deaths.

But I concur... you can't trust China's numbers at all.

We are not all in this together ...

I say this after seeing posts and remarks in social media by a number of 46ers, Cats 35ers, et al who are disregarding the recommendations and warnings, and taking a "Screw this! I'll do what I want!" approach. They made it clear they don't care about traveling some distance to get their hike in, even in the High Peaks. Some of these folks are pretty familiar in the hiking community and should know better; they know but they don't care.

<SIGH> So we are not all in this together. For some, its every (wo)man for himself/herself.
              We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

• gebby
                gebby commented
                Editing a comment
                I've been seeing posts from two friends on Facebook traveling up from Mexico all the way up to Jay. Looked like they arrived last Thursday. Today, they posted they were getting on the ferry to Vermont! Incredulous I asked why, as they should be on quarantine, considering their travels. The response was "we're done". Unbelievable.

• Charlene 2.0
                Charlene 2.0 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, pretty pathetic.
                Selfish, narcissistic, too.
                Terribly sad when people are so self absorbed. It’d be nice if they could take their eyes off their own navels and think of someone else’s life.

I’ve always thought it foolish to put your entire raison d’Ítre into one basket. When your basket gets lost, you are too. Sometimes forever.
                I remember my first nursing job, on a neurosurgical unit in a trauma center. A young man, on his way to the airport after running a spectacular marathon, was in a collision. Was rendered a quadriplegic. He could not face life without the use of his legs and chose to starve himself to death. Died at age 26.
                He had put his entire self worth into one activity and when that was taken away, he could not deal or conceive of a life without it.

What a mistake.

In a small way, the way these hikers ignore the pleadings of leaders to do the right thing, because their “mental health” depends on hiking, reminds me of that young man.

Can’t hike? Do something useful instead. Do something for your community or someone else. Volunteer. Anything.... maybe thinking about another human might do your mental health good.

Stay the f**k home.

Yeah it’s pretty sad people are being this selfish, and they will be the ones complaining when we are still under quarantine into the summer

Comment

• Old Hunter
                Old Hunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Or when they lose a loved one and say...well it wasn't my fault, blame Trump or Cuomo or the Chinese.

Originally posted by Rmxfiles View Post
              Yeah it’s pretty sad people are being this selfish, and they will be the ones complaining when we are still under quarantine into the summer
              Fine examples of the human spirit at work..... As of today

"New York governor says ventilator prices went from $20,000 to $50,000 in a matter of weeks"

"Van Gogh painting stolen from Dutch museum closed during coronavirus pandemic"

@__hole!!!!
              8000m 0/14

Comment

• Old Hunter
                Old Hunter commented
                Editing a comment
                And it likely will get worse.

• Bunchberry
                Bunchberry commented
                Editing a comment
                The Van Gogh Van Went!
            Working...