Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement from Adirondack 46ers re: COVID-19 -- Note!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcement from Adirondack 46ers re: COVID-19 -- Note!

Click image for larger version

Name:	90373645_3089947547696469_4023056021751595008_o.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	504936
    We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Question for anybody in the know... was there any discussion of not counting hikes toward the 46 after the date mentioned in the letter? If I recall correctly they did that when trails were closed for Hurricane Irene. This recommendation is nice but does not guarantee aspiring 46ers will stay away (or current 46ers for that matter). Saying the hikes don't count would probably ensure compliance. Or is the hiking community left to enforce a self-imposed hiking prohibition by publicly shaming those who go against the various urgings/ recommendations from Keene, ADK, and the 46ers? Not necessarily saying the 46ers should do what I'm suggesting but curious if it was considered.

Comment

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      If they wanted to put any teeth in to this, that is EXACTLY what they would do(not count hikes). After seeing all the pictures of trailheads with lots of cars and seeing the attitudes of people on social media, counting on people to do the right thing is a lost cause. :(

• BillB
      BillB commented
      Editing a comment
      Not counting hikes was discussed by the Board. It was decided to go with the strong warning at this point.

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks BillB

After Irene, I believe it was illegal to hike in certain places.

Now, it is strongly discouraged (i.e. mud season?), but not illegal. If one lives down the street from a trailhead, aren't they still within the guidelines?
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

• MtnManJohn
      MtnManJohn commented
      Editing a comment
      Makwa, I cannot speak for the 46ers Board, but understand what you are saying. Let me throw a li'l monkey-wrench in here and say that even those who've already completed the 46 but wish to engage in, say, ultrahikes or other lists in or around the HP region (ie. Saranac 6er or Lake Placid 9er), posts asking people to avoid unnecessary travel may not deter some of these people. I grant you that shaming will just keep people from sharing but I think many have a compulsion have a compulsion to share their exploits, thus, I think shaming will be more effective than not. My gut feeling.

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      I apologize for not giving due credit to the 3500 Club. Catskills aren't on my radar typically. Thanks to them as well for their leadership.

As for your other point... I happen to be one of those people. And you are correct... there is a compulsion to share so I will... I just finished another hiking challenge in the Adirondacks this past Thursday on Jay. That was one day before the Governor issued the Stay At Home order and before Keene, ADK, and 46ers issued their pleas/recommendations. I'd like to think I would have done the right thing and stayed home if those requests had come a few days before my hike rather than after but who knows. I'm now on hold with my pursuit of patches for the foreseeable future. And I am very well acquainted with the group you are talking about. There are thousands and thousands of folks out there working on all of the different challenges beyond the 46. I meet them all the time. I would hope they will put their plans on hold as well but you are likely correct in saying some will not. This goes WAY beyond the 46ers. They get all the press and the High Peaks region is the big draw but if you believe the ROOST leisure travel studies hikers visiting the area for the High Peaks is less than a third of all hikers. That leaves a lot of other folks out there. Anyway, perhaps other towns who run challenges will issue similar recommendations. Social media will certainly get some of the message out. Hopefully people take heed.

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, human nature is driving all of this.

It wouldn't have killed the clubs to take a harder stance. Its not like the governor's tough decisions that deal with the economy vs. the pandemic. I think the clubs worry in some cases that hard stances could let another club take over. I don't think that would happen now, would it? I think the majority would understand, wouldn't they? Would fallout be a problem?

Another thought would be, if they do take the plunge of not accepting check marks, will it be "politically" obvious when to start accepting again?

I think, everyone in the clubs, look at what they want to do first, and then decide how to rule. Say when the clubs could have ruled on GPS use. People in the club look at how they hike, and determine, heck no to controlling GPS. I want to use GPS.

This may have happened here too. Maybe gridders didn't want to close the peaks to their own checking off of things. Wouldn't know...
    I might be kidding...

Comment

• moosebeware
      moosebeware commented
      Editing a comment
      John, what gives harping on gridders and utlra hikers? As though we are heartless bastards and incapable of reason.

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      John never mentioned anyone's parents creating a child before marriage.

The suggestion in this thread about closing the trails for 3 months out of the year should tell anyone all they need to know about the grid.

Best not to take things personally, although I know that its hard. I mean that. I don't mean to make someone feel bad. It is the concept that I don't like. GPS, the grid, microspikes. Its all the concept. Not meaning to make individuals feel bad. To balance out the popular opinion on these things, it comes with the territory.

• MtnManJohn
      MtnManJohn commented
      Editing a comment
      I reread my comments. Can't find anywhere where I said gridders, etc are heartless bastards incapable of reason. I know I wasn't tired or drunk at the time I made the comment.

I understand the position that the 46ers are in and consistent with prior history of, if it is legal it counts if it is not, such as the closures after Irene it doesn’t.
    i would like to see a moratorium during this pandemic and also for the six weeks of mud season typically April to mid May and six weeks of pre-winter typically mid October till December in order to protect alpine zones.
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

• MtnManJohn
      MtnManJohn commented
      Editing a comment
      I concur on all counts, Jack

• Gerard01
      Gerard01 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Mud season always is a problem for the High Peaks. There should be red zones during that time, where a hike would not count. It would give the trails a break, and reduce injuries. I’m sure the Rangers would appreciate it.

• Charlene 2.0
      Charlene 2.0 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’d be nice. If you’re going to tout yourself as an environmentally conscious club, then why not put some actual money where your mouth is?
      “Stay home folks. People be dying. That matters more than your number right now.”

I think not counting peaks at this time would restore some good feelings between some of the small towns effected by peakbagging and the 46ers. I think a harder stance should have been taken. As far as getting the word out, social media would mostly take care of that, but for those not so inclined, I believe KV would happily hook up one of those electronic message boards to announce that peaks at this time will not be counted and no one could claim they didn't know it. Who knows, perhaps after the governor sees that it was business as usual on many peaks this weekend in the Catskills and the Adirondacks, perhaps he will close all the trails down.

Comment

AFAIK, there is no grid patch bestowed by any 'official' organization. The 3500 Club explicitly voted it down many years ago.

And FWIW, the 3500 club leads hikes (which they have suspended), but the 46'ers do not lead 'official' hikes.
      Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

• gebby
        gebby commented
        Editing a comment
        Hats off for the Saratoga/Glens Falls ADK chapter who administers the Fire Tower Challenge for having the courage to decline non-local peaks as qualifying for their challenge at this time!

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        Can we get a clarification please?

I don't think the Saratoga/Glens Falls ADK is saying they won't count fire towers hiked during this pandemic. A fire tower challenge Facebook group is saying they won't accept posts about fire tower hikes unless they are local to you. Big difference. Post #9 below is from the ADK Chapter web site. It does not mention not counting hikes. Nor does anywhere else on their web site as far as I can tell. This is just another recommendation (one that I will follow but just wanted to point out that no organization has yet declared a prohibition on counting hikes).
        Last edited by Makwa; 03-24-2020, 09:50 AM.

• gebby
        gebby commented
        Editing a comment
        Makwa not accepting posts versus not accepting hikes towards the challenge is completely different Thanks for looking at that Makwa.

I think 'Catskills Tail Conditions' are by approval now, not quite the same thing, but close.

CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Frmo the Glens Falls-Saratoga Chapter of the ADK (website):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 9.24.21 AM.png
Views:	641
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	504991
        We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

No hiking in Hunter, NY. http://townofhuntergov.com/coronavir...es-march-24th/
          I might be kidding...

Comment

Essex county has asked residents to remove all Airbnb and VRBO listings. The county has no virus test kits at this time. No mention of hiking in the press release.

https://www.co.essex.ny.us/wp/wp-con...h-24-Final.pdf
            ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Mohonk preserve is closed....

https://www.dailyfreeman.com/news/lo...18ead4020.html
              Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
              ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

And all 9D trailheads closed, Breakneck Ridge, Cold Spring Area...

https://www.facebook.com/putnamsheriffny/
                I might be kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
                  Essex county has asked residents to remove all Airbnb and VRBO listings. The county has no virus test kits at this time. No mention of hiking in the press release.

https://www.co.essex.ny.us/wp/wp-con...h-24-Final.pdf
                  I will kindly request that they remove my property taxes, how do you think that will go?
                  ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 275/552
                  Photos & Stuff

Comment

• CatskillKev
                    CatskillKev commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's what we all do. Hand them the money and they kindly take it. But I think you're talking about something else.

Please stay off of this little path called the Appalachian Trail.

https://wildeast.appalachiantrail.or...lachian-trail/
                  I might be kidding...

Comment

• Makwa
                    Makwa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wasn't there a problem with norovirus on the AT in recent years? Don't recall when, exactly where, or how many cases. Therefore not a stretch to think Covid-19 could easily spread along the trail.

• CatskillKev
                    CatskillKev commented
                    Editing a comment
                    2013 https://thetrek.co/norovirus-on-appalachian-trail/

• Makwa
                    Makwa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. And wow... 7 years ago. I would have guessed 2 or 3. Time flies.
                Working...
                X