Shuttles and restricted parking are no panacea for hiker crowds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttles and restricted parking are no panacea for hiker crowds

This one has me grinning from ear to ear.

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...l-planner-says

Preach it brother!
    ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 275/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

But even here, Pettengill urged caution. Sometimes it’s better to harden and protect the most popular trails and let the hikers have at it than it is to send them to less traveled mountains whose ecology may be more vulnerable to hundreds of boots, he said.

I feel like I've read that opinion on this board once... or a thousand times.

So, Pettingill said exactly the opposite of what these groups were hoping he would. Yet, the author still clinging to his "overcrowded" slant tries to get in one last dig in the last paragraph:

But wall-to-wall hikers didn’t seem to bother those awed by the wonders of nature. On one of the most crowded weekends, a hiker scrawled on the survey, “don’t change a thing.”

Note that the hiker didn't answer/reply/share his opinion to the survey... He scrawled it.

Comment

I was booked that night and could not attend, but I was interested in what would be in the talk.

I usually cringe when "academics" are invited to present opinions in the real world. But in this case, he nailed it. The people have voted with their feet. The state and the "green" groups need to stop trying to put words in people's mouths.

And he is 100% right about selecting certain locations for high use. A wise man told me about 30 years ago that part of the solution was to build a big parking lot, harden the trail, and "give them Cascade."

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr
          I agree that solitude is not a priority for many (if not most) of the High Peaks crowd.
          I would say "almost all". Many people I know are comforted knowing that they are not 100% alone on a hike. Those of us who enjoy being completely alone are a small fraction of hikers.

Regarding protection of resources- yes, it's true that some trails (like the current Cascade Trail) are so bad that they literally can't get any worse. But that's not at all an argument for maintaining these conditions as is- we can pollute a river until all of the life is killed off, and at that point, the river can't get any worse, either... but would any argue that this is justification for not trying to make it better?
          Except that Cascade (the mountain) is perfectly healthy. There is a 2.9-mile trail-wide scar which from about 20 feet away is not even visible.

By the very definition of what a protect area is meant to be, the High Peaks should be an area where we actively work to improve the condition of our trails.
          I (and I think almost everyone here) agree with this. The bog bridging over flat areas is fantastic and necessary. I think they went too far on Colden, but am generally OK with a spate of trail improvements overall.

And then there's human waste- which I think is a far worse issue than many here realize. Not only are backcountry water sources testing positive for human fecal bacterial colonies, but when caretakers are struggling to relocate pit privies because every time they start digging a new hole, they dig up an old one... there's a bit of a problem, and it's hard to see how this isn't at least tangentially related to the level of use.
          This is a huge issue for me and I think many of us who do a lot of hiking. I would love to see resources dedicated to it instead of handing our parking tickets. How many privies could have been built for the cost of putting up 700 'No Parking' signs?

ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 275/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

• stone611
            stone611 commented
            Editing a comment
            Could not agree more, in particular your first two comments!
        Working...
        X