Changes to High Peaks Zoning and Regulations delayed until 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to High Peaks Zoning and Regulations delayed until 2021

This was posted to reddit earlier today: https://www.adk.org/changes-to-high-...oming-in-2020/

Sounds like the expanded bear canister regulation, as well as the requirement to camp at designated sites only in the Eastern/Central High Peaks, won't happen until next year at the earliest.

I'm not sure what the "need for a public hearing" means- there already was a public comment period that include comments on the proposed regs as part of the UMP amendment process for the High Peaks UMP. The proposed changes to the regulations were included as part of this process. Maybe someone decided it was cheeky to include regulatory changes with the UMP process, as the two are separate things?

Or maybe someone finally is acknowledging that the "public comments" were bulldozed by DEC in the rush to approve the UMP amendments on the Cuomo timeline, and that it's necessary to reopen the discussion.

Comment

... rangers will not enforce the new regulations, but will be notifying people of the impending changes as they patrol the backcountry
      Rangers patrolling the backcountry?

I've been away for 2 years so are rangers no longer constrained to frontcountry duties ... or is Pete Fish returning from retirement?

/s
      Looking for Views!

Comment

Meter maids are called away from parking lot duty occasionally for rescues. Of course the state continues to refuse to add the 15-20 additional that are needed...

Comment

Looks like I can still use the phrase "I took a hike in the Giant and Dix Wilderness areas." for another year. I know the NPT people are thrilled!
          Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
          ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post

Rangers patrolling the backcountry?

I've been away for 2 years so are rangers no longer constrained to frontcountry duties ... or is Pete Fish returning from retirement?

/s
            Originally posted by tcd View Post
            Meter maids are called away from parking lot duty occasionally for rescues. Of course the state continues to refuse to add the 15-20 additional that are needed...
            For what it's worth (and I'm aware that Trail Boss' comment was said in jest), the DEC did double the number of AFRs assigned to the High Peaks in 2018.

Originally posted by Bunchberry View Post
            Looks like I can still use the phrase "I took a hike in the Giant and Dix Wilderness areas." for another year. I know the NPT people are thrilled!
            The Dix Mountain Wilderness already ceased to exist a few years ago- the area was folded into the High Peaks Wilderness after the Boreas Ponds Purchase rendered the two areas contiguous. The zoning of forest preserve lands into different units (Wild Forests, Wilderness Areas, etc.) is a different process than how regulations are added and changed, a process that falls under the purview of the APA.

The Giant Mountain Wilderness still exists and will still continue to exist- it likely won't ever be folded into the High Peaks Wilderness because there's a road separating the two areas, and the established norm is that you can't have a single Wilderness Area bisected by a road. The new High Peaks regs that were proposed also won't affect the Giant Mountain Wilderness in any way. But for that matter- I wonder if part of the reason for the delay is that they are looking at possibly adopting a set of unified regulations for all Wilderness Areas- something that was announced as being in the works over 10 years ago (2008 if I remember correctly) but there was never any follow up on.
            Last edited by DSettahr; 02-15-2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Bunchberry
              Bunchberry commented
              Editing a comment
              I was happier not knowing this.

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
            ... the DEC did double the number of AFRs assigned to the High Peaks in 2018.
            So, there are two now?

/s

All kidding aside, would you happen to know how many AFR's as now assigned to the High Peaks? Can you tell us a bit more about AFRs?

It's my (admittedly limited) understanding they are not given the same level of authority as a Ranger (i.e. not full-fledged officers of the law who are able to issue citations, arrest individuals, carry a side-arm, etc) but represent the law and can, if gentle persuasion fails, request assistance from a Ranger to enforce the law. Did I get any of that right? Also, are they all stationed in the Interior Stations or in town and walk into the Wilderness area to do their patrols?
            Looking for Views!

Comment

Working...
            X