Essex County to run free High Peaks trail buses this summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex County to run free High Peaks trail buses this summer

Wow.... 4 buses running 16 hours a day to all trailheads on Rte 73. Stopping at each every half hour.

And WOW... FREE!

And waiting for a response from folks constantly pushing the overuse narrative.

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...ty-trail-buses

Wow is right! Good news; thanks for spreading the word.

This is the first actual positive contribution to the overall High Peaks situation that the state has made. Everything else they have done has either been meaningless, or downright destructive.

If I did not know differently, I would wonder if it were April 1 today, rather than January 6.

Certainly it's piecemeal, and there is a lot to be done in addition. But this is a help! Thanks again for updating the forum audience.

Comment

That will help many especially the long hours.

Comment

First issue is gonna be finding 8-10 bus drivers to cover all the hours for 4 buses @ 16 hours/ day. Didn't Keene have problems finding just ONE extra driver last summer? I hate to nitpick so soon after good news but I hope they can find takers on the new jobs.

Comment

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          From an article in the Adirondack Daily Enterprise... "The county will need 'no less than eight' drivers."

This is great news and hopefully the beginning of creating a positive economic impact through more jobs.
        "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
        Ed Viesturs

Comment

THIS IS AWESOME
          ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 275/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

You could knock me over with a feather!
            Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
            ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

This development is certainly a surprise to me, but it does feel like a good initiative. One question not addressed is who will pay to expand the parking at Marcy Field, and where will that expansion be. I also wonder why this shuttle service doesn't use Mt. Van Hoevenberg as the base for the Cascade Mt. shuttle. It's nearly ten miles from Marcy Field to Cascade as opposed to less that two miles from the large existing parking lots at the end of the Mt. Van Hoevenberg access road. And no matter where the Cascade shuttle originates, there will have to be a procedure to preserve a place where the shuttle can get off the road to safely unload and load hikers. Same problem at the Giant trailheads as I assume people will still be allowed to park at these trailheads up to their capacity. I'll be interested in learning more about the actual operational plan as time goes on.

Comment

I wonder: will backpacks be carried onto the bus or stored behind or below? And what about leashed dogs [I may have missed that].

Comment

Electric would some day be nice...

Comment

If they go with a similar vehicle to the Keene town shuttle that was running this summer from the field to the garden there was room for full-packs in the hiker seating area, and they allowed leashed dogs on board as long as they are under control. Hopefully this is the same.
                    This FREE shuttle service along with possibly expanded stewardship to help educate at trailheads, this news seems very unexpected considering the steps that had been taken the last few years, but this is amazing news, and taken as a plan in itself or as just a step it seems a huge leap in a positive direction that I think and hope the users will really appreciate.
                    This is so drastic in a positive direction that all I can think is that those involved with this in the county and/or state (it appears a unanimous vote by the article) had an Ebenezer Scrooge-style epiphany.
                    While obviously alleviating some parking issues, I think and hope any increased stewardship may have an impact in regards to hikers being prepared (bear cans/navigation/etc)
                    35er #3133
                    46er #11779

"Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds"
                    Zarathustra

Comment

How big is the Marcy Field parking lot I have never been there?

Comment

• Eddie Fournier
                        Eddie Fournier commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'd say larger than the Garden but smaller than the Loj - perhaps similar to the AMR parking. It is surrounded by grass, so perhaps it could be expanded without encroaching onto the runway.

The current Marcy Field lot will hold about 50 vehicles. It's a dirt lot with no stripes, so how many vehicles fit varies depending on vehicle size, and how well they are parked.

As Tony mentions above, there is thought that this capacity may have to be increased to work with the new shuttle system. Of note, airports are VERY big. A considerable increase in parking capacity would still only use a tiny corner of the airport.

Comment

and seldom does a small plane land there

Comment

I think this is a very, very positive step in the right direction.

As far as finding drivers, last years program started quite late and sort of developed as they went along. There is now several months to try to fill these positions and clearly stated hours. I would guess some drivers from the Whiteface Ski Center Shuttle service would love to have the year round work.

Comment

Working...
                          X