Cascde Mountain - New Trail Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlene 2.0 View Post
    I went sniffing around in there a few weeks back, wanting to see what progress had been made and maybe get a few feet up the new route. A nice construction worker told me there was no access because they were blasting. Da hell? Blasting????
    Blasting is probably related to this. Topic of noise and blasting came up in a thread on ADKForum.
    https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...way-at-van-ho/

Comment

Yes, Van Ho is a Blasting Zone currently. Blasting Zone warning signs are up; giant CAT trucks are rolling up and down the hill moving blasted rock. Big project going on there.

The blasting is related to the big construction (lodges, coasters, etc.), not related to the hiking trail.

Comment

At least with the blasting going on, people have stopped accusing the biathlon teams of using "machine guns."

Unpopular opinion: I 100% support the Cascade Experiment for a few reasons. For one, it'll give the Greens their long sought after magic carpet trail. Not too steep, sustainable, and no visible roadside parking. Once the more experienced hikers have all traveled it first hand for curiosity's sake and the novelty wears off, they can see how disbursing the crowds elsewhere in the area was a really bad idea. Also, its not really going to stop people from using the existing trail if they want to, even if the existing lot becomes a no parking zone. There's a nice parking lot about .7 miles down the road where people who don't mind an extra ~12 minutes of easy (but dangerous) road walking can access the current trail head. This will be another "I told you so" to the lobbyists.

Honestly, if the new TH is going to be in the parking lot of what's essentially going to be a multi use training facility/amusement park, why bother keeping up any pretense of a natural experience as people in jeans and white New Balance sneakers with no maps, head lamps, suitable layers, or concept of LNT shuffle their way to the top on engineered trails? Why not run a low voltage line for illuminated trail markers the whole way up to the tree line? There can be gender neutral outhouses stocked with hand sanitizer along the way, man-made scenic stops on the way up with little information plaques, and benches to sit on. The whole thing could be called "Cascade: A High Peaks Experience," and the stewards staffing the new info center/retail shop at the TH can convey any and all appropriate information along with renting out Hillsounds and Snowshoes. People want an "easy high peak," not a wilderness solitude experience. Why not cater to that exact market and keep one-time/first and only crowd happily occupied and centrally located?
        My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Eddie Fournier
          Eddie Fournier commented
          Editing a comment
          A canopy walkway would be cool.

• Neil
          Neil commented
          Editing a comment
          Solar powered Coke machines.

• autochromatica
          autochromatica commented
          Editing a comment
          "Hillsounds and Snowshoes?" Nope. They're going to shovel and salt the whole length.

An alternative? Hike Porter from the Airfield. There is parking.

Comment

I would think the original Native Americans and European explorers have disdain for us and our need of a marked trail, leantos and compass and maps and trails shoes that weigh 6 ounces.

I am under no pretense that I am some great outdoors man when I hike around the Adirondacks. My experience is brought to me by the DEC and I am thankful for every sign, trail marker and that comforting feeling that I have the Ray Brook Dispatch number in my cell phone. This is my "Adirondack Experience".

Any reasonably fit moron with an ounce of sense, can buy all they need at Dicks Sporting Goods with a coupon and do all that I have done.

I have no disdain for this trail or the newbies that will travel it. I hiked Mount Marcy in 9th grade with cotton clothing and running sneakers.

I am happy for the people building the trail, I will be encouraging to those climbing it and I am in awe of those 46'ers doing the hardest job in the Adirondacks - being a front country steward.
          Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
          ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            Bunchberry I don't think anybody here has disdain for any newbie or tourist who may use the new trail. Nor do we have a problem with those folks building the trail. The problem, as it has been for the past two years of discussion on this topic, is the horrible planning of the NYS in the region. Is this new Cascade trail really the best use of the limited resources allocated to the region? My god, there many other trails that could use some maintenance and instead time and money is being dumped into a trail that will get little use compared to the current trail. The state has screwed this up from the get go and the result will be floods of people who once hiked a short Cascade trail overrunning other trails in the area because the new Cascade trail is 10 miles round-trip and will be unattractive to the throngs of tourists that once hiked the Cascade trail. This, compounded with the "overuse" issues, parking issues/ restrictions, lack of a comprehensive plan in the region, lack of resources, and need of a larger Ranger force to properly educate and enforce the laws are the problem. Our complaining really has nothing to do with Cascade per se. It's the state's hair-brained scheme to divert people away from popular trailheads that we are taking issue with.

As for the rest of the stuff... agreed... any reasonably fit person can hike up a mountain. But it takes informed, caring, intelligent folks like yourself to hike responsibly, practice LNT principles, and to be good members of the hiking community so that the resource isn't damaged. None of that is for sale at your local sporting goods store. That is why the Trailhead Steward program is so important. This is also why the Ranger force needs to be enlarged. And this is why the state needs to do a much better job of educating people before they step onto state land of what their responsibilities are and how to conduct themselves in the backcountry. Sure, anybody can hike. But to be a steward of the resource takes some more thought.
        Working...
        X