quiet car camping in the adk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quiet car camping in the adk?

Hi, I’m new to the area and am looking for a quiet place to go car camping in the Adirondacks so I can get an early start on a hike. I’m looking for somewhere a bit less traveled. Unfortunately I can’t get to the area until 8 or 9pm and I imagine many places will be full by then. Does anyone have suggestions?

NYS Campground, if it is still open, at Taylor Pond

Comment

Preferably a moderate hike would be involved 6-10 miles with a few thousand feet of elevation change is fine. I’ve done a lot of long backpacking trips in the Sierras but I’m getting over a hip injury so not looking for anything too strenuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsalu333 View Post
      Preferably a moderate hike would be involved 6-10 miles with a few thousand feet of elevation change is fine. I’ve done a lot of long backpacking trips in the Sierras but I’m getting over a hip injury so not looking for anything too strenuous.
      KOA in Wilmington should be open and quiet now, then you can go hike Whiteface and/or Esther...via road or trail.
      Thanks Learning The Trails-I wasn't sure.

Comment

By car camping, do you mean that the car is right at your campsite or that it's within 1/2 mile of your campsite? If it's the latter, then there is a campsite on the Dix trail from Round Pond about 1/2 mile in, and another on the Roaring Brook Trail to Giant, also about 1/2 mile in. Both of these are off 73.
        Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
        2nd round: 16
        SL6r #596
        Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

You can camp legally at either of the the two sites shown here:
          https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=43.9...7874&z=16&b=oo
          These sites are close to the Allen, Santanoni and Upper Works trail heads.

Comment

There are car camping sites between the Northway and chapel pond, but I have never seen them not packed on the weekends. From there you are close to any hikes from giant wilderness, Dix range, the amr, etc.
            the normal hikes in the Sewards are more than your 6-10 target mileage but car camping on Corey's rd is great
            35er #3133
            46er

"Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds"
            Zarathustra

Comment

Surprised no one has mentioned camping at South Meadows.
              Park and camp.
              Wake up and hike TableTop and/or Phelps.

Comment

Working...
              X