Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a Mt. Van Hoevenberg loop from Meadows Rd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a Mt. Van Hoevenberg loop from Meadows Rd?

This summer for the first time I climbed Mt. Van Hoevenberg, starting and ending at the t/h a quarter mile from the Loj Rd along the Meadows Rd. I was hoping to find signage on top indicating a way to do a loop. I thought that about 20 years ago I'd been on a trail that went to a leanto and then on to Mt. V. But I also thought I'd heard of either the l/t or the trail being abandoned[or damaged?] some years later. So after this hike I went to the very end of Meadows Rd. and did a recon hike. I think I saw a sign pointing to Mt. V, but wonder whether it goes to the summit or just to the nordic skiing part of the mountain. Also, online searches for Mt. V loop haven't turned up anything.
    So if anyone has current info on that trail from the far end of Meadows Rd, including trail condition, suitability for novice hikers, scenery, etc, please let me know. Thank you.
    Mark
    A bad day in cripplebrush is better than a good day at work.

Remaining Winter NE115 peaks as of 3/11/10:

[None]
    Yes!!!

IIRC, my wife Sylvie did such a loop but found herself on unmarked x-c ski trails and used a compass to find her way down to Peggy's Mr. Van Lean-to.

Comment

• MarkL
      MarkL commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Neil. Leading my group through a maze of unfamiliar trails is a dealbreaker.

Trip report for the loop here:
    http://www.offonadventure.com/2012/0...ski-trail.html

Comment

• MarkL
      MarkL commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for finding and posting that link. I'm going to be leading a mixed group and don't think that potential trail confusion and total distance would be appropriate for them.

When I first posted this, my phone wasn't acknowledging the extra storage card with the picture of the trail sign. Now it is, and I see it says "Van Hoevenberg Rec. Area Parking Lot, 3.7 mi." That's not exactly the summit!
    Mark
    A bad day in cripplebrush is better than a good day at work.

Remaining Winter NE115 peaks as of 3/11/10:

[None]
    Yes!!!

Comment

The Ski Trails can be very confusing. It's the usual "XC Ski Area Spaghetti Network." As a Patroller there, much of what we do is help people who are lost despite having a map, and want directions to back to the parking lot.

So if I were to plan the Mt. Van loop hike, I would go outbound via the lean to and the Mr. Van ski trail. But when I reached "Hi Notch" (the ridge of Mt. Van) I would turn left and do the short (~1/2 mile) bushwhack to the summit, rather than getting involved in the ski trails.

But it doesn't sound like your group would want a bushwhack, either. So you're right to plan some other destination.

Comment

• MarkL
        MarkL commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I may scout that route by myself for possible future use.

I agree with TCD but before reaching Hi Notch you will see the new Cascade Mt trail (will be under construction for years) crossing the Mr Van trail. Turn left on the new trail and it will take you to the still-under-construction but “grand opened” a year ago Mt Van Hoevenberg East trail. At the summit (can’t miss it with 40+ white bags of rocks) you will see the old trail going down to Meadows road. A full loop is possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If you don't want to follow an unfinished trail as suggested by TCD and Joe Cedar, go to HI-Notch and just bear left at all trail junctions. Within 1/2 mile you will come to a barricade and a new trail going left and up to the trail to the Mt. Van Hoevenberg summit. It may initially appear confusing since there are may bits of flagging on trees, and the perfectly walkable line created last year is being replaced by a lower line on a bit less of a grade. Just angle to the right and stay on the higher line to the summit.

Comment

• AvalanchePass
          AvalanchePass commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like there's a story there?
      Working...
      X