Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Molly Nye Road, Keene Valley. Private or public.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molly Nye Road, Keene Valley. Private or public.

See this map to find Molly Nye Road (off Grist Mill rd. near Ausable R.)
    https://caltopo.com/m/Q70K
    Does anyone know if it's private? tcd
    I would use this road to access state land and bushwhack Porter Mtn. via the ridge between Walton and Hull catch basins.

You can zoom in to see for yourself but it appears you can stitch together a route that stays on NYS land. The end section of the road is surrounded by private property but it looks like you could head north of the road before you get to the private property onto NYS land and then make your way southwest toward your goal.

http://essex-gis.co.essex.ny.us/

Comment

Molly Nye Road is a public road, but a very quiet one.

There is little to no parking along it, and the folks that live there want it to stay quiet. Fortunately, it's not on the shortest route to anything on a list.

Neil, I'll send you a PM with some info, but I don't want to see a crowd of people trying to use Molly Nye Road.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post
        Molly Nye Road is a public road, but a very quiet one.

There is little to no parking along it, and the folks that live there want it to stay quiet. Fortunately, it's not on the shortest route to anything on a list.

Neil, I'll send you a PM with some info, but I don't want to see a crowd of people trying to use Molly Nye Road.

Thanks.
        I'm going to get dropped off there by Sylvie who will then park at Marcy Field. All I needed to know was whether it was public. Thanks!

We're going to meet up on Porter and hike out on the trail together.

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post
          but I don't want to see a crowd of people trying to use Molly Nye Road.
          and it seems a few others share that opinion, seeing as how the town board voted that they did not support it as a potential relocation spot for the trailhead for the great little owl's head.

Comment

The Town Board voted rightly. The Owls Head trail has run into the problems that it has because as usual, the State has failed to manage a popular resource. Owls Head has been well known and popular for many years, even decades. Large numbers of people wanting to hike it are no surprise to anyone. But the state completely failed to manage this with adequate parking and bathrooms at Route 73. So the very tiny parking area was always overwhelmed, and sadly some visitors acted badly, parking inconsiderately and also going to the bathroom on private properties in the area.

The landowners were well within their rights to close their private land to hikers. It's a loss to everyone. The local furniture store owns a parcel of land on Route 73 that could be used for parking, bathrooms, etc., and has offered to help. But the state's idiotic plan was to take a trailhead that suffers from being on a small local road with inadequate parking, and move it an even smaller road with even less parking. And, at the same time, greatly increase the distance and vertical of the little hike, which would ruin the resource as a great first hike for small children.

So the state's plan is absolutely stupid, will fix none of the problems but rather make them worse, and will create new problems. The Town is 100% right here. One can only hope that the state comes around, and accepts help from local landowners and local trail experts, and does the right thing to restore this resource, instead of destroying it.

Comment

Neil; You likely already realize this but another way to bushwack Porter is park at Marcy Field and go up the trail a short distance then head up the ravine. I came down that many winters ago. If I had a map near by I'd describe it better.

Comment

Working...
              X