The Alphabetical 46

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Alphabetical 46

The idea an an alphabetical 46 started off as a joke in another thread but then the idea developed its own gravity. It would make completing a round of 46 astronomically harder, and at a quick glance I donít really see any reasonable way, in the traditional sense anyway, of combing peaks as day hikes. Not without being a much, much stronger hiker than Iíll ever be. That may not be saying much...

As was suggested by Makwa, same-trip peaks tagged out of order would not count. How many trips would this realistically take for an average hiker? Iím not much of a list/patch person, but it seems to me that doing a single season ďABC46Ē should be worthy of a patch and and possibly a winter rocker.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

You are a madman! I want to party with you!
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

You beat me to making the new thread! So instead I'll post the alpha list. Please note I did the alpha without consideration of Mount or Mt before the name of the peak...
    Algonquin
    Allen
    Armstrong
    Basin
    Big Slide
    Blake Peak
    Cascade
    Cliff
    Colden
    Colvin
    Couchsachraga
    Dial
    Dix
    Donaldson
    Emmons
    Esther
    Giant
    Gothics
    Grace Peak
    Gray
    Haystack
    Hough
    Iroquois Peak
    Lower Wolf Jaw
    Macomb
    Marcy
    Marshall
    Nippletop
    Nye
    Panther
    Phelps
    Porter
    Redfield
    Rocky Peak
    Saddleback
    Santanoni
    Sawteeth
    Seward
    Seymour
    Skylight
    South Dix
    Street
    TableTop
    Upper Wolf Jaw
    Whiteface
    Wright Peak
    Last edited by Makwa; 09-05-2019, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• Yury
      Yury commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes:
      Donaldson
      Emmons

Yes:
      Seward
      Seymour

I see some combos....

* Donaldson & Emmons appears to be the only surviving pair from the current most-used combos
    * Seward & Seymour would become more common in one day
    * Armstrong & Basin as part of a long day along the Great Range
    * Cliff & Colden
    * Gray & Haystack
    * Dial & Dix with a bushwhack between
    * Esther & Giant or Giant & Gothics would be big days but doable based on geography
    * Phelps & Porter could be doable from two different trailheads

If you did all of these combos you'd get to 46 after 38 hikes.

Comment

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      I noticed a cairn and herd path at Dial Brook on the way to Dix via Round Pond.

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      Whiteface and Wright = Totally doable in a day.

I would rather be the first person to hike the 46 in a chicken suit!

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Only if you do it while the bears are hibernating.

Donaldson/Emmons, Seward/Seymour, Cliff/Colden, Gray/Haystack are all very feasible. Some are obviously a little harder than others. I've never bushwhacked from Dial to Dix but it seems like a lot of people have, not sure how tough that pair would be. D/E is a huge relief because I was just compiling a list in my head of peaks that that are part of a traditional combo and wouldn't be such a great time counting as a single peak with no add-ons. The "gridiots" out there may disagree with me; you folks are already checking off huge mileage as it is. Emmons was at the top of that list, along with S. Dix, Street, and Dial because I really don't like ascending the Leach trail. Couchsachraga would be a little frustrating with Panther being so close.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• stone611
      stone611 commented
      Editing a comment
      You'd have to sit on your hands and bite your lip not to do Street after Nye. On the plus side, Whiteface and Wright are a couple of nice ones to finish on if you're inviting friends and family.

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      You could still do Street. Just wouldn't count toward your round until you went back and got it in alpha order.

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      FlyFishingandBeer - I should have read the whole thread before commenting... But, I
      noticed a cairn and herd path at Dial Brook on the way to Dix via Round Pond. Might not even be a full on whack.

I love camping at the opalescent/flowed lands, so from there I definitely see as doable (possibly even as long dayhike out of either upper works or loj)
    Marcy
    Marshall
    35er #3133
    46er

"Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds"
    Zarathustra

Comment

How about in numerical order by height for all the numerically inclined people!

Comment

In order to make it interesting and get some of that wilderness solitude and avail oneself to the opportunity of unconstrained recreation I think bushwhacking the 46 is the only way to go. You could do them alphabetically but that would be constraining and thus diminish one's wilderness experience.

Comment

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          How about the ABC46? Alphabetical, Bushwhack, Cold (<32* out when start hike).

But is bushwhacking the 46 peaks a sustainable solution for all of us?

Comment

• Neil
          Neil commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely sustainable for all those who would actually do it. I believe there are 3 finishers and 3 more grinding their way through it.

The 3 M's hike would be a fun traverse from 73 to Upper-Works. Or you could add MacNaughton to the list. Then you could hike the 4M's as a fun backpack loop (or crazy trail run).

Comment

• Neil
          Neil commented
          Editing a comment
          mastergrasshopper and I did Macomb and Marshall on the same day but we drove between trail heads. He showed up with M&M's for trail snacks.

• Learning The Trails
          Editing a comment
          I joked last year on my Facebook page asking if anyone has done Esther and Macomb in the same day to get her "Full name."

You are all bonkers for even coming up with this idea, lol! Not my game in the least. I like to visit the region to take my time, enjoy the scenery, and to get away from the stresses of home. Just figuring out the logistics of trying to complete a regular 46 before I become old and crippled is enough for me!

Kudos in advance to the first finisher of the "A-46" or "ABC-46"!!! I know after reading this thread that there are a few of you out there that will likely give it a go (or have done it already, but will never tell anyone)...probably out of boredom after conquering virtually everything else the high peaks has to offer Good luck, and I'll look forward to reading the trip reports!

Comment

For fun, I looked at my list to see how far I am along I am on the the ABC-46. Started with Algonquin in 2009, and I have managed to work my way up to Cascade in 2018. Not a single year did I manage to add more than one peak to the list! Lots more hiking to do...

Comment

To hell with the alphabetical 46. I would usher in the 4 cardinal compass points 46. In fact, between various trailed and un-trailed approaches I'm more than half-way there.
            Crazy stuff for sure!

Comment

• Makwa
              Makwa commented
              Editing a comment
              It's gonna be a lonely annual dinner for that club.

• Eddie Fournier
              Eddie Fournier commented
              Editing a comment
              thank god Wallface is not a 46

• FlyFishingandBeer
              FlyFishingandBeer commented
              Editing a comment
              *4,000-footer (46’rs are people). Wallface has a herd path skirting up its steep side so scaling the cliffs isn’t necessary.

I'm doing something (far from, but ) like that with the White Mountains.. We finished the NE111.. not peakbagging but doing some peaks together, but for the Whites I want to have a different Date for each summit. Example.. Lincoln & Lafayette, we've done a couple of times so I'll count one date for Lincoln.. and another date for Lafayette.. // The first time we did the Bonds we did all three there and back. The next year when doing Owl's Head, the next day we did Bond Cliff.. we will return (probably from the other side) to one of the other two, to have 3 dates.. / Right now we have 10 left.
            Mary-Lou
            http://marykaa.com

Comment

Working...
            X