traffic on Noonmark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traffic on Noonmark

When the parking restrictions along Rte 73 went into effect I speculated that peaks like Noonmark, Round, Rooster Comb and others would see less traffic on weekends as High Peaks hikers would arrive early to all those affected trailheads, fill all of the parking spots for the entire day during their longer hikes, and effectively shut out families and other late-arriving folks from getting parking who wanted to hike the lesser peaks.

I wish I had some historical data on these mountains to compare with what I found yesterday. On my way out of town I pulled into the AMR parking area which was still jam-packed at 2 pm. I drove up the road to the trail register for the Stimson trail to Noonmark to count how many hikers have registered since the restrictions went into effect. Unfortunately, it was a new register book and I only could capture data going back to July 31.

Wed 7/31 - 45
    Thurs 8/1 - 32
    Fri 8/2 - 49
    Sat 8/3 - 18
    Sun 8/4 - 33
    Mon 8/5 - 67
    Tues 8/6 - 35
    Wed 8/7 - 7
    Thurs 8/8 - 30
    Fri 8/9 - 37
    Sat 8/10 - 22
    Sun 8/11 - 29

This two week sample seems to confirm my suspicions to some degree. Noonmark is getting less visitation on weekends than on weekdays. Perhaps due to High Peaks hikers clogging the parking lots? Any other ideas why this would be the case?

Next time north I'm gonna check the register for Round on AMR property and the Round Pond trailhead for those folks who may have hit Round or Noonmark starting there.

Weather could be an important factor, but Sat Aug 3 was a beautiful day and it saw the 2nd lowest turnout according to your figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Makwa View Post
      When the parking restrictions along Rte 73 went into effect I speculated that peaks like Noonmark, Round, Rooster Comb and others would see less traffic on weekends as High Peaks hikers would arrive early to all those affected trailheads, fill all of the parking spots for the entire day during their longer hikes, and effectively shut out families and other late-arriving folks from getting parking who wanted to hike the lesser peaks.
      i suspect the parking changes will be impacting hopkins too. i went last tuesday in the late morning and found the pulloff nearly full. even if one of the pairs ahead of me came in separate cars that would leave 2 unexplained cars. of course it is possible it was hikers heading up to giant, but i'd bet it was just ausable club overflow.

Comment

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        Not related to the Rte 73 restrictions but every time I've been to Goodnow Mountain (west of Newcomb) there are way more cars in the lot than there are people on the mountain. I wonder if people use that lot as a meetup spot or to stash their extra cars before heading to Upper Works or the nearby Harris Lake campground.

Also people just do not use the registers, especially newer folks and families. On Sawyer yesterday, just a few other cars in lot, but I was the only one that registered. Had the summit to myself. On the flip side, I want to do Rooster, Hurricane, Round etc, again, Most likely will be during the week, or shoulder season weekend (Nov) to avoid the parking issue. Have not been to Keene or KV all summer. Miss it. Just not dealing with it.

Am curious on what you find at Round Pond. Dix is a redo as in clouds during the 46 days.

Comment

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that is true but I would guess the percentage of those who don't sign in would remain somewhat consistent.

Oh agree, the ratio is applicable to both weekdays/ends. Even lower percent sign into the trailhead on weekends as not the die-hards who understand the importance. I should have said something on the low raw numbers. We are aligned!

Comment

I went to panther gorge and thought there should be a separate parking lot just for that trail because it is not fair that the dixes clog up the whole parking lot!
        Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
        ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

I vote Makwa president of the Adirondack park. Full time job, $200,000 a year plus use of SUV.
          Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
          ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• Gerard01
            Gerard01 commented
            Editing a comment
            Makwa is the man.

How much of the weekday traffic was related to summer camps? A few groups of 15 kids on an excursion would be enough to throw those numbers out of whack...

Also, Monday August 5 was a holiday in Canada, so effectively a weekend day.
          ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

Comment

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            There were a few groups of 12 or 10 or 8 peppered throughout but don't know what days. But point taken.

Good info on the Canadian holiday. Obviously need a lot more data than this to figure out anything and then need to compare it to historic data. Very curious how/if it is compiled and what is done with it. Would love to get my hands on it.

• Orono Stewie
            Orono Stewie commented
            Editing a comment
            FYI the first Monday in August is not a holiday in Quebec. It is in Ontario but my Adirondack experiences would lead me to think that most of Canadians in the Adirondacks are Quebeckers. I have seldom met hikers from my home province.

Not getting a parking spot for a planned hike is my only fear of hiking. So far this year, I haven't had a problem. Just get there early.
          39/46 (33 solo)
          12/12 solo 12'ster #382
          4/12 W solo

Comment

Working...
          X