Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern high peaks, trails , campfires

Hey guys,
    I am newer to hiking in the Adirondack area. I have done both colvin and Marcy. For my upcoming trip my fiancee is adamant about hiking trails where we can have a campfire. I know campfires are allowed in the eastern peaks , but I can find a condensed list of which mountains are included in the eastern peaks.
    If you guys wouldn't suggesting some great trails where we can have a campfire it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit : I did in fact mean the western peaks. I'm sorry for the confusion all.

Try Dix as that area still is "campfire friendly"... I like approaching from rt. 73 on the Round Pond Trail. This is a nice hike with ponds and streams and a great summit. Depending on how far you want to hike in with a pack, there are 2 options: the short option is to stay at a campsite on the far side of Round Pond, walking around the left side of the pond to the outlet stream, only a 25 minute hike from your car. This site has an outhouse (built and donated by my son for his Keene senior school project - proud Papa...) and fire ring and there are quick bushwacks to small summits with views all around that area. Walk along the left side of Twin Pond (just past Round Pond campsite) a little more than half-way and then bushwack uphill (left) to a small rocky outcrop with views above the ponds. On the way you'll find one of the best remaining burnt stump groves from the great fire of 1903 (notice the charcoal/burnt wood still visible in the stumps...). The second and longer option is to hike all the way into the Bouquet Leanto and camp there (1 .5 hours in) There is a swimming hole 10 minutes upstream... Of course be sure to thoroughly douse all fires as it's been dry lately!

Comment

Campfires are NOT allowed in the Eastern High Peaks. They are allowed in the Western High Peaks within certain guidelines.

https://www.adk.org/play/hiking-info...c-regulations/

Here's a map of the zones... http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/33889.html

If you're looking at just hiking the High Peaks the Sewards and Santas are in the Western and everything else is in the Eastern, Dix, and Giant Wilderness (except Whiteface and Esther many miles to the north). If you're new to hiking I wouldn't start with the Sewards or Santas just because you could have a campfire. They are tough peaks to get your feet wet on. But if you're just looking to hike a lesser peak of some sort that opens up the rest of the Adirondacks for you. Options are endless.

Welcome to the forum. Have fun on your trip. And if you're now an aspiring 46er let me be the first (of probably many) to tell you you've already orphaned Blake.

Comment

Missmiss,
        Campfires are not allowed in the Eastern High Peaks. Presently you are allowed to have a campfire in the Western High Peaks and the Dix Wilderness Area. Please note that the NYSDEC is in the process of combining several adjacent areas into a larger High Peaks Wilderness. Some areas where campfires were allowed, once "officially" combined, will probably lose that privilege. For example, once the Dix Range is added to the Eastern High Peaks, the existing rules of the Eastern High Peaks will now apply to the Dix area. This being said, the NYSDEC site has a map (see link) that still shows them as separate areas so there is come confusion. Eventually, once all the changes take place it will be easier to determine what rules apply where.

All of the information you need about restrictions in the High Peaks can be found at the following sites;

https://www.adirondacktrailhead.com/...camping-rules/

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9198.html

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/33889.html

Comment

Makwa and DB are right of course, but I suspect this is likely a confusion of nomenclature...fires are allowed in the areas of the "eastern"-most high peaks (Dix Mountain Wilderness, now/soon to be(?) the Outer High Peaks Zone of the High Peaks Wilderness, and giant wilderness areas), but not the Eastern High Peaks Zone of the High Peaks Wilderness Area (now/soon to be the Central High Peaks Zone of the High Peaks Wilderness Area), with regulation changes effective next year....it's really quite simple if you don't think about it.

Anybody recall if fires will still be allowed in the eastern/Dix Mountain wilderness portion of the Outer High Peaks Zone of the High Peaks Wilderness Area next year...?
          Last edited by FoulHooked; 08-09-2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• FoulHooked
            FoulHooked commented
            Editing a comment
            found it...campfires still allowed in Outer High Peaks Zone

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            This has the makings of an Abbott & Costello routine...

• Learning The Trails
            Editing a comment
            Ranger said no more fires allowed in the Dix Wilderness starting next year.

Or you can skip the campfire because everyone else has once and wood is scarce in many places.

Comment

So in short these are the mountains that make up the Eastern High Peaks:
            Street and Nye, Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, Marshall, Colden, Cliff, Redfield, Phelps, Tabletop, Marcy, Skylight, Haystack, Basin, Saddleback, Gothics, Armstrong, Upper and Lower WolfJaw, Santanoni, Panther and Couchsahraga
            Last edited by ADKJack; 08-09-2019, 03:19 PM.
            "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
            Ed Viesturs

Comment

• Makwa
              Makwa commented
              Editing a comment
              Sawteeth, Allen, Big Slide, Gray, Cascade and Porter too. 26 total there.

4 Sewards and 3 Santas in the Western.
              Giant/ RPR in Giant Wilderness.
              5 Dixes and CBDN in Dix Wilderness.
              Whiteface and Esther up north.

46 total.

Until 2020...

Everyone else covered everything relevant for this year, but please pass this on to your fiance'. Its a summary of the changes taking place as of 2020. Its a good link to have handy.

https://www.adk.org/changes-to-high-...oming-in-2020/
            My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Originally posted by ADKJack View Post
            So in short these are the mountains that make up the Eastern High Peaks:
            Street and Nye, Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, Marshall, Colden, Cliff, Redfield, Phelps, Tabletop, Marcy, Skylight, Haystack, Basin, Saddleback, Gothics, Armstrong, Upper and Lower WolfJaw, Santanoni, Panther and Couchsahraga
            Correction: The Santanoni Range—Santanoni, Panther, and Couchsachraga—are currently in the Western High Peaks and will be in the Outer High Peaks.

Comment

I just created a layered map of the High Peaks area - one layer being the zones effective in 2020, as published by the ADK; the other is the OpenStreetMap as expressed in GAIAGPS.COM. Now, lets hope I can paste it: No, it didn't work. I tried to upload it as an attachment and it was working for awhile, but then quit. Is it possible my JPG is too large: It's 3645 x 1877 pixels, a little over 1 MB. Anyway, the issue is that the southern boundary of the Central High peaks seems to run right along the trail to Allen so it's a little ambiguous as to where you can camp "at large".
              Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
              2nd round: 16
              SL6r #596
              Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	High Peaks.jpg Views:	0 Size:	23.6 KB ID:	500083OK, I cropped it and that worked. (The colored lines are some of my GPS tracks).
                Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
                2nd round: 16
                SL6r #596
                Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Working...
                X