46er Supported FKT Attempt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46er Supported FKT Attempt

Ryan Atkins is currently working on the fastest supported 46er FKT. He's been posting updates on facebook this morning in his story. It's kind of neat to be able to follow along a little bit.

For those who don't know him, he is a professional OCR athlete, he just reclaimed the GRT FKT in 5 hrs 8 min on 7/12/19.

https://www.facebook.com/ryanatkinsa...57058037731792

Is he a local or person that has some appreciation for the Adirondacks or is this just a "Drive by FKT"?
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

I love when he says "The ADKs have some of the most technical trails in the world."
      MY TRANSLATION: The Adirondacks have the worst trails on the planet, eroded mud pit strangulation roots, decrepit abysmal paths which should have been condemned and rebuilt over 40 years ago.

Comment

He is Canadian (near Toronto I believe). I can only postulate to his appreciation, but from what I've seen from the few years of following him he has a true love for the region. He is always there and using it for training. Like he did that FKT GRT on 7/12 then won the Spartan US National Series on 7/20. He did a FKT for the Pitchoff Traverse on 7/10. It's crazy the little recovery time he needs. I know he was there in May and June as well. He's held the GRT FKT like 4 different times too trading off with Lee Berube and Tom Goth. I mean he just did a national championship and less than a week later going for a 46 FKT. No new updates yet, but can't wait to see his tracks.

I've only done the GRT once, and that was a long day. So for him to run it multiple times is crazy to me. I think I'd like to go improve on my time though.

Comment

• Learning The Trails
          Editing a comment
          Wait... Someone actually keeps records for a traverse of Pitchoff?

Aye aye aye...

• mbowler
          mbowler commented
          Editing a comment
          I think my best time on the Pitchoff traverse is about equivalent to this guy's Great Range!

• CatskillKev
          CatskillKev commented
          Editing a comment
          "Equivalent", meaning as impressive? :-)

Originally posted by SpencerVT View Post
        I love when he says "The ADKs have some of the most technical trails in the world."
        MY TRANSLATION: The Adirondacks have the worst trails on the planet, eroded mud pit strangulation roots, decrepit abysmal paths which should have been condemned and rebuilt over 40 years ago.
        Hahaha!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerVT View Post
          In spite of what the Adirondack Council it telling you many like the ADKs because they are steep, eroded, punishing, muddy, and good training for going to easy places like the Whites. That's why we love them.

Comment

• autochromatica
            autochromatica commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a mighty fine patch you have there!

• NorthShore
            NorthShore commented
            Editing a comment
            What, no love for the bugs?

• Hear the Footsteps
            Hear the Footsteps commented
            Editing a comment
            autochromatica. As far as the patch goes. It's just waiting for you to finish .

Originally posted by piefka View Post
          Ryan Atkins is currently working on the fastest supported 46er FKT. He's been posting updates on facebook this morning in his story. It's kind of neat to be able to follow along a little bit.

For those who don't know him, he is a professional OCR athlete, he just reclaimed the GRT FKT in 5 hrs 8 min on 7/12/19.

https://www.facebook.com/ryanatkinsa...57058037731792

Thanks, keep those of us who stay away from that hellhole of Facebook updated.
          ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 271/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

Huge props for that GRT time. I did it in about 9 years ago. 5 is just stupid; I cannot imagine holding that pace.

Comment

• bfinan0
              bfinan0 commented
              Editing a comment
              Pretty sure mine was in the 28-30 hour range for the Bob Marshall traverse, 16 hours or so just from the Loj to Panther Gorge. But that just means more time to enjoy being in the mountains, right? It doesn't surprise me at all that there are people who can run it 4+ times my speed.

AFAIK the previous record holders have worked day jobs. Since this guy's a pro we can expect him to shatter the record. This has the potential for raising the bar too high for the Lyme Disease guy.

Comment

• CatskillKev
              CatskillKev commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't see a record necessarily getting shattered since we have nothing to go by in comparable results. Same goes for the Lyme Disease guy times 100. We don't know if Ryan has possibly been doing too much lately, either.

• eleventhgear
              eleventhgear commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been keeping an occasional eye on the Lyme Disease guy's prep. He's actually been doing a fairly reasonable job of training and seems to have plotted out his route. When he posted here not too long ago looking for pacers it was crickets. Breaking the 46er record is a huge first major hiking goal. I certainly wish him the best but it's a tough nut to crack for anyone. It will very likely be significantly harder after Ryan's effort.

• CatskillKev
              CatskillKev commented
              Editing a comment
              I will say that I didn't know that Ryan has done 24 hour races, since I don't know about Tough Mudder.

Its been 3 days since the original post. The record is 3 days and 17 hours, so, I don't know if anyone is keeping track, but I haven't seen anything.
            I might be kidding...

Comment

• Neil
              Neil commented
              Editing a comment
              On his FB page he doesn't state a start date.

He posted "stories" early Friday morning that he had started and they disappear. The last update had him on Nye as his 3rd peak. With Nye as #3, I'm guessing he did Whiteface/Esther or Cascade/Porter before heading to the LOJ. I'm surprised there wasn't more updates yet, I know it is an arduous task, but thought there would be more updates from his team. Cut off for the record is in a few hours, so I hope to see an update within the next day. I imagine he may want to recover a bit before doing a write up. I kept an eye out for him this weekend but didn't see him.

I know he gave up on a Bruce trail record attempt like 400k in before due to a blood infection, so I hope he stays healthy for this attempt.

Comment

I hope he isn't going to try for the record with his dog accompanying him!
              Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
              2nd round: 16
              SL6r #596
              Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

• Neil
                Neil commented
                Editing a comment
                K-9 speed record?

From Ryan Atkins FB page:
              ***New fkt on the Adirondacks 46er supported route: 3d 5h 52m. Trailhead to trailhead, using no private land access***
              I would qualify that as shattering the old record.

Comment

• CatskillKev
                CatskillKev commented
                Editing a comment
                You called it. Congratulations Ryan!

That no private land access is huge. He took a different route than Jan and Cave Dog too. Cant wait to see the track.

Comment

• FoulHooked
                FoulHooked commented
                Editing a comment
                trailhead-to-trailhead is nothing to sneeze at either; ending on the last peak could shave up to 9 miles.

Super impressive accomplishment. All the respect to Ryan, and using no private access is a major stylistic consideration for future attempts. Props to him for a remarkable effort in excellent style.
              To Go and to See
              Is to Know and to Be

Comment

Working...
              X