X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVA at Cascade Trailhead

No injuries.

https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...-in-collision/
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Thankfully nobody was seriously injured, including the pregnant mother-to-be or the children.

"DEC Region 5 Director Robert Stegemann cited the incident as a prime example of why the department needs to tackle the issue of parking and overcrowding." The article clearly states that the NJ man was able to pull into a parking spot, but this event occurred outside the ban zone when he stupidly tried to pull a U-ey along that blind corner. Ban or no ban, this happened as a result of piss poor decision making in a legal trail head parking area which had open spaces available, but the anti-parking groups are going to jump all over this one.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Orono Stewie
      Orono Stewie commented
      Editing a comment
      And unfortunately I have witnessed the same sort of horrible decision-making in that area on numerous occasions. There are definitely visibility issues for drivers trying to park and those proceeding along the highway. Parkers who pull in frontwards and therefore have to back out after their hike are at risk especially if a higher vehicle occupies the spot beside them. Fortunately, in this case the collision was minor in nature and there were no significant injuries. My guess is that NYS is aware of the possibility of a disaster and significant litigation as a result with faulty design being cited as a contributing factor. The much improved signage that's appeared compared to 20 years ago could be used as a 2-edged sword in such a case because it establishes that the State was aware of the hazard but did not do enough to rectify it.

Thankful that no one was hurt!

The "bans" directly contribute to this risk, and have increased the traffic hazard, not reduced it.

Yes, individual drivers are responsible. But if someone does get hurt, it will be super easy for an attorney to link the accident to the "bans" creating congestion, more sudden U-turns, passenger pick up and drop of, etc. The State is going to have their hands full legally if this tragedy ever happens...

Comment

Why not to implement different speed limits on summer weekends?
      ​​​​

Comment

• Learning The Trails
        Editing a comment
        Or year round? The pass can be nasty in Winter.

Originally posted by tcd View Post

The "bans" directly contribute to this risk, and have increased the traffic hazard, not reduced it.

Yes, individual drivers are responsible. But if someone does get hurt, it will be super easy for an attorney to link the accident to the "bans" creating congestion, more sudden U-turns, passenger pick up and drop of, etc. The State is going to have their hands full legally if this tragedy ever happens...
      This.

If only the people who voted for it could be held legally accountable.
      ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 271/552
      Photos & Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post

i feel that a hypothetical tragedy last summer caused by road walking a narrow corridor on a 55mph road would be a far easier case for this lawyer.

i completely agree with the near consensus that this situation is poorly thought out but i find it a tough sell that it will increase traffic risk.

Comment

I happened to drive through the scene mere moments after the accident occured. Radiators were steaming and lots of good Samaritans were running to help including one guy in a light brown uniform that may or may not have been summit steward. At the time there was indeed plenty of parking spots left in the usual places with only a few cars along the road and well out of the way of traffic. Given the tight and twisty nature of that stretch of road changing the speed limit from 55 to 40 in the area seems reasonable. And I hate the idea of lower speed limits. Doubt it would have prevented this accident because "stupid is as stupid does". A U-turn on a blind corner is just plain stupid. Unfortunately the cause of the accident will not matter to the no parking nazis because facts are rarely important to an agenda.

Buck
          Me - 39/46
          Mrs - 17/46

A trail without mud is like a day without sunshine.

Comment

There should be "No U-turn" signs posted and a turn-around space made west of the trailhead. And, the signs should include "Turn around ahead" or something like that. Of course, this will soon be moot after that trailhead is closed. Same problem at Chapel Pond.
            Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
            2nd round: 16
            SL6r #596
            Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

In Custer State Park, South Dakota, where I just spent three weeks on vacation, the speed limit on the Needles Highway is 25 mph at the various scenic parking areas. There are kids and dogs and sightseers and people parked on the shoulder all over, but it's safe, because a nice slow speed is enforced. This is similar to National Parks and Forest Service recreation sites.

Why can't the idiots in Albany get this? Many of us have been advocating for lower speed limits in the busy areas for decades, to totally deaf ears.

As I have said before, this is just like the intersection in a town that everyone knows needs a traffic light. After someone gets killed, and there's a horrific lawsuit, the traffic light finally gets installed. Sadly, that is the event that will be required to change things in the High Peaks.

Comment

I just slow down at all the usual places. I would rather miss the last spot in a parking lot and my hike for the day then hit someone.
                Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
                ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Working...
                X