Adirondack Park board wants to improve roadside vistas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adirondack Park board wants to improve roadside vistas

So how do we feel about this? Slippery slope or not? Does allowing this ever open the door for clearing views on summits or overlooks?

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...roadside-views

Don't worry about it. I was at the meeting. The Explorer's review of these two presentations is laughable, at best.

>Travel Corridor UMP: Everything was proposed ten years ago, but nothing has been done. In ten years, all that's been done is to say: "Boy, we need to figure out how to make a decision." Don't expect to see any action that will upset you.

>Hammond: This plan is good, and is moving forward. There's a ton of good stuff in it. Explorer's focus on Split Rock Falls is idiotic. And the erosion at Split Rock Falls has nothing to do with "Day Hikers." It's a result of poor planning. Split Rock falls fencing and walking areas were laid out imagining that the only visitors were sightseers looking at the falls. Of course the bulk of visitors are locals, swimming in the wonderful lower pools. So most of the traffic goes there, and a sustainable path to that area was never built. That's the entire issue there.

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post
      >Travel Corridor UMP: Everything was proposed ten years ago, but nothing has been done. In ten years, all that's been done is to say: "Boy, we need to figure out how to make a decision." Don't expect to see any action that will upset you.
      TEN years! i would have thought you were exaggerating but you are probably not.
      oh mine. bureaucracy. lol

Comment

Here is the comment that I posted on the Explorer's web site.

At the March meeting of the ForestPreserve Advisory Committee, Ed Frantz of the DOT presented a proposal to clear coniferous trees to allow more sunlight to reach the road's surface and melt ice "naturally" rather than having to use more salt. Frantz was clear that this cutting would only occur in places where a thin line of coniferous trees was backed by a stand of hardwoods. In many cases, these coniferous trees have grown up on areas that were disturbed by road cuts in the original construction of the highway. I thought Frantz's proposal made a great deal of sense, but there were objections because some of these coniferous stands were outside of the DOT right-of-way and therefore technically on the Forest Preserve.

However, if the APA is now willing to consider cutting trees on the Forest Preserve merely for aesthetic reasons, I would think that cutting trees on the Forest Preserve to improve safety and reduce salt use would take precedence over view improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Makwa View Post
          Does allowing this ever open the door for clearing views on summits or overlooks?

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...roadside-views
          They do this now anyway.

Comment

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            Who? Where? I am unaware of this practice.
        Working...
        X